my mum hates his name :(

Luca is a gorgeous name and I think your mum will get used to it (no matter what she says) because it will be attached to her gorgeous grandchild. I haven't liked everyone's baby's names that I've known but once I saw the baby I always felt differently (although I never told them that I hadn't been sure). We're not telling anyone our names as we don't want to be swayed by what other people do or don't like.

i wish i hadnt said a thing. spoke to my mum again today and her view on it was even worse than yesterday. she asked if we had changed our minds and i said no, then i asked her if she had got used to it, she said no and that she found it more 'horrendous' today than she did yesterday. she said a few other things too which i found really upsetting. ive been in tears most of the day because of it. it has really tainted things...

Mrs S what have you chosen?

Luca is a lovely name and its totally yours and OH decision xx

She doesn't have to like it but does she need to be so brutally tactless? xx

I agree with cosmic girl - there's no need to be brutal about it. Don't let it taint it sweetie - it is such a beautiful name, really. It sounds like your mum, despite saying it was your choice is trying to influence you and that isn't fair. She will love him and the name when you have him. Maybe say to her that the things she has said have really upset you and if she still says anything about the name, just say you don't want to talk about it anymore. :hugs:

its gone from bad to worse. now she is saying that she will not all him Luca but will call him Luke or Lucas instead. im so angry and upset.

Mrs S what have you chosen?

Luca is a lovely name and its totally yours and OH decision xx

I think we are going to call her Nancy not 100% but it's top choice at the moment!

I have just had a friend be openly rude about the name choice I was so upset whe she left what started as a bit of banter ended up getting quite bitchy despite me saying It was a serious choice!

I get not everyone is going to like the name but people should have some respect!!

its gone from bad to worse. now she is saying that she will not all him Luca but will call him Luke or Lucas instead. im so angry and upset.

That's just plain nasty and manipulative :hugs: xx

LOVE LOVE LOVE Luca! Luca from ER! We want the name Luc to be in our next boys name xx

I love the name Luca!

Your mum is a bit rotten saying that (sorry).

It doesn't matter what other people think ultimately, so roll with what you want x

just thought i would give an update. i spoke to my mum a couple of days ago and told her that i didnt want my son called anything other than the name i gave him. she reluctantly said "ok, its your child". she still isint happy about it but at least she realises my stance. i told my brother and sister, both said "she'll come round". my sister spoke to her and said my mum had said "i wont love the name but i will love the child". of course i would like her to like it but if she doesnt its not the end of the world, i like it and my OH likes it and that is what matters.

Don't worry about it at all, my mum told me quite boldy that she did not liked Devons name as I named him at 20 weeks, well she had known before then as it was my boys named 9 years earlier when I had my daughter. My OH had also said he didn't really like it 9 years earlier. Don't let that stop you at all. I also have an older lady freind, i have known for years, and she felt she could be that honest to tell me she didn't like his name

My mum has not said she doesn't like it since the birth, but mentions i a proud way to people often, how at her cornwall garden society she had to go in an announce that she had a grandson called Devon!! My older freind, has said it since birth, , but she has a son called Kevin, so how is Devon much different to that name!

Luca is a lovely name, she will have to get used to it, she will want to spednd lots of time with him and when she sets eyes on him she will love him and his name, whatever you choose , so stick to your guns - Luca it is..

Last edited:
I like Luca and ultimately it is down to what yourself and OH like and want for your baby :)

I told my parents the name after we had the scan, we have had the boys name for years and years and it has never changed and we love it.

the nly person to say anything negative was his gran, she wanted a more traditional name :)

To be honest my family know that any child of mine would not have a normal name lol :)

Hope your feeling a bit better :hugs: and good on you xxxx

well, i love the name! However, it does remind me of the song "My name is Luca" by Suzanne Vega!

just thought i would give an update. i spoke to my mum a couple of days ago and told her that i didnt want my son called anything other than the name i gave him. she reluctantly said "ok, its your child". she still isint happy about it but at least she realises my stance. i told my brother and sister, both said "she'll come round". my sister spoke to her and said my mum had said "i wont love the name but i will love the child". of course i would like her to like it but if she doesnt its not the end of the world, i like it and my OH likes it and that is what matters.

As Cosmic said hun good for you!

Although i have to say I also think that she is being incredibly unfair - its only a name after all and its totally your choice - and as i said before i think its beautiful :dance: xxx

I love the name Luca. We like Rufus (Rufy for short) and my mum said that if we had a boy and called him that she would shout something else across the kiddie park when she took him out!!! lol. At the end of the day, she can like it or lump it as it's our kid and we decide!!! lol

Oh blimey Helly welly! to your mum shouting an other name at the park!! Well she may be standing there at the park sometime, as little Rufus won't be coming back to the wrong name... ha ha

Sorry to hear that ur mum didn't like the name. It's a lovely name and up to you and OH I am sure your mum will change her mind

Xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back