my mum hates his name :(

pixie17

Reaction score
after months and months of contemplating my husband and I have decided on a name of our baby. Luca. We both knew that our parents wouldnt particularly like it and were going to wait until he was born to tell our paretns. However, i decided to tell my mum today....at least so she could get used to it. However, i wasnt prepared for quite how much she would dislike it. She thinks it one of the worst names she ever heard but said it was our choice. When i asked if she woud get used to it she said no. She wasnt horrible about it, just honest, but i am really upset. I really hoped that she would at least come round to it. :sad: Its been really hard to get a name we both liked, we have been through somany lists. I'm not going to change it based on my mum not liking it but now im just anticipating all the negative reactions from my dad, brothers etc....

I find it a particularly nice name and if it wasn't so common here It would be my first choice. Don't worry about people's reaction,once they will see the baby they will love it.
I am keeping my names a secret until the baby is born, to avoid reactions and to be a surprise also. People they don't really say they don't like a child's name when it's already born and named.

thanks. im glad i told her cause, although upsetting, i think her reaction would have really deflated my husband when he called her to to tell her the 'good news'. again she wasnt horrible just disappointed really. there would only have been a handful of names liked by her and i knew that, i just wasnt anticipating the extent of her reaction. i hope there will be people around her who will like it and she will see its not such a bad name after all.....

That's really sad that she doesn't like it, but its important you and oh like it. I agree with hope in keeping it secret till birth, because when he is here people are less likely to say they dislike the name as they would then be refferring to the baby rather than just a name x

No, its a lovely name and its not like a rare name

She will get used to it. And when she meets him, she wont think of it in that way.

My friends parents hated their LO name, but once he arrived, they couldn't care less. Its a gorgeous name, we thought of it, but my DH is a spurs supporter and there is a player with the name and that was pushing it for me.

lol. my OH was the one who suggsted Luca and after i came round to it he kept telling me how many famous football players have the name (he is football mad) so i have to keep telling him not to say that to people as i do not want people thinking thats where we got the name from!

I'm sorry that your Mum didn't react well to your name...But it's not her choice.

Maybe steer clear of talking about it for a while and see how she feels about it in a few days / weeks?

I love it by the way

xxxxxxx

My oldest is 7 now and I named him monty my mum was at the birth and I didn't know what I was having so it was the first she had herd of it she was like are you sure?? Is there nothing else you like lol

But 7 years later she really likes his name and he couldn't be anything else she really will get use to it little did my mum know my names would get worse with each one she knows what I'm like now lol

I like the name Luca, you should not worry about what other people think. As long as you like it then that should be enough! If i have a little girl i want to call her Stevey Isabella and i know my folks will hate it but i love it so i don't care lol x

thats a really nice name. i think you are right, the name will hopefully grow on them

Lanny I absolutley love your babies names :) sorta classic but also different! V cute :) x

Its a really lovely name hun! I love it :D

Dont worry about others reactions, I highly doubt that when he is born his name will be high on your mums mind, she will come round to it im sure :D xx

i love the name luca.
i'm sure your mum will get used to it. 20 years ago my sister told our grandmother that they were calling their daughter jade - she said she hated it so much that she would call the baby 'rachel' instead! lol, anyway, once baby arrived she fell into line straight away, calling her by her real name and never mentioned it again. my sister was so upset by her reaction at the time that she even considered changing it, but is pleased she didn't change her mind - as there will always be someone who doesn't like a name. xxx

Lanny I absolutley love your babies names :) sorta classic but also different! V cute :) x

Awww thank you, think I've settled on a couple of names for this one but only o/h knows people want to know what name I've chosen more then finding out the sex ha.
It is true tho very few people dare to voice there opinion wants the baby is here but they do before it's born that why I don't tell lol

Awww thank you, think I've settled on a couple of names for this one but only o/h knows people want to know what name I've chosen more then finding out the sex ha.
It is true tho very few people dare to voice there opinion wants the baby is here but they do before it's born that why I don't tell lol

Lanny I soooo want to know what your names are :)

I told my mum a name I really liked and she doesn't like it neither does my best friend but I don't care I will call my daughter what we want regardless of people opinions!

Lanny I can't wait to find out the name you've chosen :)

Aah trying to find ppl near me :-(

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back