My GP has just really freaked me out!!

Spammy

Reaction score
So went back to work on Monday after seeing blobs heartbeat. Got sent home again yesterday because I couldn't stop being sick. When I was in hospital they gave me some cyclizine for sickness which I have been taking but hasn't done anything. I went back to the doctors to see if he would prescribe me anything else so that I can get through work. He said I shouldn't take anything and that nothing is guaranteed safe. His words were then 'it was at this stage people started taking Thalidomide!!!' and that its just not worth the risk so to stop taking cyclizine. I am now so worried!!! Why would the hospital give it to me if it wasn't safe!!!!

He signed me off work again. Have only worked 2 days in the last month!! I feel completely useless! I'm only pregnant!! I should be able to function but I just can't!

Can't stop worrying!

omg your doctor sounds a pleasant soul :shock: to be honest hun back in the day of thalidomide they probably didnt have the means etc like they do today to test whether it would effect the babies! I'm sure if they didnt know the effects on babies they wouldnt prescribe it so dont fret too much hun! hugs xx

He's usually lovely deedee. He said they can't test drugs on pregnant women so they can never be sure. He said they do sometimes use it in severe cases when fluids can't be kept down but if I can keep the odd thing down I will be fine without.

I wouldn't have thought that if the docs thought cyclizine was bad for u in pregnancy they would give it too u. I was given stemetil - prochlorperazine tablets from my doctor, seems strange that they give different tablets at different surgerys. The leaflet inside says talk to a doctor before taking in pregnancy, but I trust that the doctor knows what he is doing. xx

Your right kanga. That has made me feel a bit better. It was the hospital that prescribed the cyclizine when I was admitted. Sure they wouldn't have let me have it if it wasn't safe. It hasnt worked though so I might as well stop taking it.

Awww hunny huge huge hugs but like the others said they wouldn't of given it to you if it was going to cause problems. Just don't take anymore xxxx

If there's one thing the nhs are desperate to stop and that's being sued, they are much more careful nowadays on what they give out. I wouldn't worry about the tablets hunny, am sure the labour ward would know more than the gp no offence to him xxxxxxxx

Thanks for making me feel better girls. This pregnancy stuff is pretty scary isn't it. Must stay calm!

Your doctor sounds like the doctor I saw the other day. They don't think about what they say before it comes out of their mouth.

I think he could've worded it all alot better, but really I just think that GPs prefer not to prescribe anything during pregnancy unless vital, but he didn't put it to you in the right way at all. He shouldn't have scared you like that, because it wasn't necessary xxxxxx

i went into hospital other week with abdo pains and sickness, they gave me a cyclizine injection (i was previously on cyclizine tablets up to 13 weeks) injection didnt work as i was sick half hour later... im sure they wouldnt give it if they thought it was harmful

Cylizine is perfectly safe for you to take in pregnancy but people do expect it to work instantly and it won't, it needs to be taken for a few days to feel the difference.
Don't worry :)

x

I wouldn't worry hun if your that sick & need something to help you I'm sure your fine on what he prescribed.
I was given the same as Kanga86, I was a bit worried like you but i feel better now that others have been given the same thing. And it seems other ladies have been prescribed the same as you so it must be safe to take!

Hope you feel better soon x

Last edited:
A friend of mine has had (and still has) awful sickness. She has also been taking cyclizine for what seems like ages. Try not to worry. xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back