My Birth story - Finally!

Keira

Reaction score
Long read here ladies...

Tuesday 23rd January 2007

Got up at 8am and I helped my little brother get ready for school. My mum took him to school and around 10ish we left to go bowling. I was having slight period like pains and slight twinges whilst bowling and had quite bad back ache. Pains were slowly getting worse and around 3ish I was on the floor at the bowling ally gently rocking to ease the pain. We left the bowling ally at quater past 3 and I had 3 contractions on the way home. this is when I started thinking I was in labour. Once we were home the contractions were coming between 5 and 2 minutes apart and lasting between 45 seconds to a minute and 15 seconds. I got in the bath which was really nice but when the contractions came I had to get onto my hands and knees and rock gentally through them. Mum rang Jay and told him to make his way to our house. When Jay arrived I was having a contraction.
We then rang the hospital and told them we were coming. We arrived at the hospital around 8:30pm and the gave me an Internal and told me I was only 2cm dialated, I was devostaed and burst into tears. I just kept saying 'if it has taken this long and this much pain just to get to 2cm's how much more pain will I have to go through!!' The pain continued to come and I decided to try the bath again. Once I was in it was lovely but the pain was horrible when I got a contraction, id get onto my hands and knees in the bath and pour water over my back which felt nice.
At 11:45pm my waters went with a trickle, so it must have been my hind waters which went. The midwife gave me another internal and I was 5cms dialated. By this point my contractions were really strong and painfull and didnt seem to be giving me a break between them. The pain would get really strong, then start to ease off but then come back strong again, so i wasnt getting anytime to compose myself inbetween. Mum was constantly rubbing my back for me which made them slightly more bearable.
My waters were still leaking slightly and the midwife noticed they were dis-coloured indicating the baby had passed muconium so she was abit worried and put me on the belt monitors which was a complete pain in the bum as I was on my hands and knees so it kept loosing track of his heartbeat. She then suggested using the scalp electrode telling me its 'just a little clip we attatch to the babies head' I had already read up on these and wasnt keen at all on having it done as I had heard about cases where the screw had been inserted into babies eyes etc, so I refused to have it done.
AT around 2:30am I asked the midwife how much longer she thought I had left to go, so she checked some sort of graph she had and estimated I wouldnt be fully dialated untill 6am. This terrified me as by now I was in complete agony, was extreamly tired, and was wishing I would die so I wouldnt have to go through anymore pain!! At about 10 past 3 I got up to go to the toilet and my mum came with me, as I was sat on the toilet I said to my mum that I thought I needed to push but I wasnt sure, I got up off the toilet and realised that yes i did need to push. MY mum was telling me we needed to get the midwife, by which point I was starting to panic and begging my mum not to tell the midwife. Mum banged on the toilet door and told Jay to ring the bell for the midwife so she came in and I told her I needed to push, I dont think she believed me though. Mum and the midwife helped me back onto the bed and the midwife wanted to examine me but I was in so much pain I couldnt bare the thought of lying on my back so she attempted to examine me whilst on my hands and knees but said she couldnt get the right angle to feel anything so told me to go ahead and push.
The feeling was horrible and it paniced me and at one stage I wanted to try and hold the earge in rather than push, mum kept telling me to relax and breathe deeply and let my body do what it needed to do. So I began to push but everytime the baby started to come the need to push would go away and he would slide back in, my mum was trying to get me in a more upright posision but I was so exhausted I couldnt hold my body up properly. After 50 minutes of pushing the midwife said she would have to call the doctors in and use the suction cap to help the baby out at first I agreed but then I thought to myself 'ive gotten this far without any help I know I can do this myself' so I started pushing as hard as I could and the midwife said I was making good progress so she would leave me to carry on for a bit. Half an hour later his head appeared and I could hear him crying, I thought that he was completly out but I was told I had to keep pushing to get his body out, but the need to push had completly gone. A few minutes later it came back and with one little push he was out!
The wrapped him up and put him infront of me and I was in complete shock I couldnt believe I had actually done it! They then took him away and told me to roll onto my back to deliever the plecenta. They had asked me during the labour if I wanted the injection to help the plecenta to come out quicker and I said no. So as we were waiting for it to come out I felt a big gush down below and stuff was flowing out, I was still in shock from the baby being born and was just sat staring at the ceiling and just asked casually what it was I could feel gushing from me, they replied 'blood' This petrified me as I could feel it pouring out of me. They were telling me that they would have to give me the injection and get the plecenta out as quickly as possible because otherwise id loose too much blood, at first I was still refusing the needle and my mum was encouraging me to have it, I could tell by the look on her face that she was pretty scared too, so I had it. The plecenta soon followed and the bleeding stopped pretty much straight after, but the bed was soaked with blood!
I lay on the bed shaking like a leaf staring at my baby. Mum kept asking if I wanted a hold but I was still in shock and was scared of holding him incase I dropped him! After a while I tried standing up but failed at first, then a short while later I tried again, in the end the midwife came with a wheelchair and took me into the bathroom so I could have a bath to clean myself up. We were then taken upto the ward. Mum and Jay stayed with me untill about 9:50am and then left so I could get some sleep. I was in complete agony though I must have strained myself when pushing as the top of my back and chest were throbbing and my throat was killing me! I didnt get any sleep because I couldnt find a comfortable posision.
Later on that day family came to visit. Mum stayed at the hospital all day with me. A midwife came into check on me and I told her I was out of breath and couldnt catch my breath properly so she checked my pulse, she said it was fast but very weak, she then tried to get my blood pressure but it was so weak she couldnt trace it, she then got another midwife to try and find it and she couldnt either. They then brought in some scary looking machine to try and get my blood pressure. The midwife then explained that she needed to take some blood from me because they thought I may need a blood transfusion because of how much blood I lost. I was refusing saying I was fine and that all I needed was a good sleep and I would feel better. Next thing I know 2 doctors came to see me and were trying to persuade me to have the blood test done.I continued to refuse, and in the end they gave up.
Later on that night another doctor came to me to try and persuade me in the end she stood there, hand on hip and said outright, 'Are you aware that if you bleed again you will die' This came as a bit of a shock to me, she continued to say 'Dont you want to be around to watch your son grow up, or are you happy to leave him motherless' At this point I started to cry, but continued to refuse. Eventually she left, I spent most of the night watching Ryan thinking about what the doctor had said.
The next day I felt really ill, everytime I stood up I felt like I was going to collapse, I went for a bath and was shaking so much I could hardly walk. I couldnt catch my breath either so by this point I was really scared.
The midwife came in to check on me and my pulse was twice what it was suppose to be and my blood pressure was still weak. She turned to look at me and took my hand and said to me 'you feel really ill dont you keira' I just shook my head, she continued 'you are arnt you but your too scared to tell us because you dont want to have to face any needles' I just burst into tears and started to explain how ill I felt and that I was really scared. The midwife was lovely and talked me into having a blood test. Next thing 2 doctors came down to see me and they moved me into my own private room. They took my blood and kept telling me how proud of me they were. The results of the blood test came back saying I didnt need a blood transfusion, so insted they just put me on a salt water drip to rehydrate me and i felt alot better after being on that over night, so the next day I was allowed to go home.

Oh Kiera you need a big hug :hug: :hug: :hug:

Wow you were brave, I hope you are healing well and enjoying being a mum to your wonderful baby boy :)

Well Done and welcome to the world Ryan :cheer:
Hope you are doing well :hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back