• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

My Baby's A Boob Addict!!!

LisaJ1986

Reaction score
Wasn't sure where to put this but i don't think it's feeding related.

Angel doesn't really sleep in the day. She'll have a couple of naps after a feed for about 10 minutes.

But here's the problem. She falls asleep sucking the boob. Not every feed but just a couple. I don't usually mind as she's usually so knackered. But when i decided to sort myself out and put my boob away, she opens her mouth. If i don't give it back she'll wake up screaming. If i do give it back she'll go back to sleep.

I've handed her over to OH so she can't smell me, that's worked once. The rest of the time she'll just wake up again.
I'm against dummies but have tried it at night as she woke up 10 mins after a feed so therefore wasn't hungry. Dummy worked a treat, once.

I desperately want her out of this habit as it can't be good for her. But like today, she's not had a nap ALL day. She fell asleep on the boob, i took it away, she screamed!!! So i've had one hell of a grumpy baby today!

Any advice much appreciated! I don't mind sharing my boobs, but i need my body back sometimes!

Lil miss is the exact same...I have the same problem... but just recently I've been able to actually put her down in her cot for naps... and... pass her to DH who will walk around with her and she will fall asleep... BUT... its only been the last few weeks that I have been able to do this... At 5 months... lil miss was the same as Angel... I've not really got any advice tbh... I just persevered with feeding, putting the boob away, whipping it out again when she stirred and started looking.. And then tried putting her down more and more...and just one day it clicked.

Not really sure hun????

Could you try a dummy again, maybe a nipple shaped one?

Have you tried using your little finger, midwives in hospital showed me cause Maia wouldnt settle unless on me. Using a clean little finger insert into her mouth so your finger fits snugly into the roof of her mouth with your nail facing her tongue. She will suck llike mad and hopefully when she's dropped off you can release and put her down. I once had to walk round Morrisons with my finger in her mouth cause she was so upset and screamed everytime I took it out, luckily I had only nipped in for a few bits otherwise if it was a big shop I'd have had to go back another time!

Dont really have any other suggetions :hug:

Oooh Oscar loves sucking my little finger if I am not in a place where I can feed him. I had to walk around Waitrose with my finger in his mouth today, it was a lot more discreet than getting my boob out and it stopped him crying!

Not sure what else to advise unless maybe babywearing might work so she could suckle away and you would have two hands free to get things done? :hug:

Mildly said:
Oooh Oscar loves sucking my little finger if I am not in a place where I can feed him. I had to walk around Waitrose with my finger in his mouth today, it was a lot more discreet than getting my boob out and it stopped him crying!

mine is the same - its the comfort sucking he is looking for but he won't take a dummy even though we tried as it wasn't flesh flavoured so i give him my little finger and he quite happily sucks that.

Angel's been through the finger sucking phase and almost out of the thumb sucking phase. I'm guessing that's all they are to her, phases.
I'm still persevering with the dummy but i only really want it as a night thing. I don't mind her using the boob when i have nothing else to do. Sometimes it's nice for her to sleep on me as it gives me a few minutes peace and shut eye.
Just now this time of year with my boob out for quite some time it's getting a little cool down my top! Lol

Oh dear oh dear, you have one like my Alex

I have no advice I'm afraid. I wish I could say I did. Alex is almost 14 months and still co-sleeps and breastfeeds because he's always been a boob monster and he won't sleep without it.

LisaJ1986 said:
Angel's been through the finger sucking phase and almost out of the thumb sucking phase. I'm guessing that's all they are to her, phases.
I'm still persevering with the dummy but i only really want it as a night thing. I don't mind her using the boob when i have nothing else to do. Sometimes it's nice for her to sleep on me as it gives me a few minutes peace and shut eye.
Just now this time of year with my boob out for quite some time it's getting a little cool down my top! Lol

My daugher was the same too! It got to the point where she was sleeping through the night then at about 6 months she kept waking for me to get her back to sleep again.
Ive now cut all comfort feeds and if she falls asleep on me, ill wake her and put her down in her cot to fall asleep herself and has worked really.
Naps i put her down and she will cry for sometimes 0 minutes to a max of 10 mins. If i cuddle her to sleep it will take her ages as she is too nosey.
Im too against dummys and refuse to give her one, she wont accept my finger anymore either. nipple is best!!!

I do give her the brest if i want her to nap quickly or feel like spoiling her once in a while :D
good luck

My little one just shakes his head like mad with his mouth open (Just like his dad! :rotfl: )

I let him cry, then he gets so tired that he either has a drink or goes to sleep. I try and not reward him with more boob! He then discovered his thumb! But he was in hospital for a few days and they could only put the needle in his thumb sucking hand (Tried both feet and other hand twice!) So he got well peved off when it was splinted and bandged up! Had to use my boob has a comforter, now back home, he still is, got it down to once a night, but my boobs have been drained to death!

He hated a dummy! My 2 year old was really easy to get off a dummy, where I sucked my thumb until I was about 10!

I think my only suggestion is what i have done. Once Calleigh appears to have finished feeding either by dropping asleep or coming off, i put her in her cot. TBH the majority of the time she will start crying as she knows i am putting her down to sleep. I pop a blanket on her and put on her cot mobile and stroke her head and leave.

I leave her to cry for up to ten mins but usually she has drifted off by then, if she still hasnt gone off to sleep i go back and offer boob again then repeat the above. If she continues to cry i will go back in adjust her blanket as she has usually kicked it out the way then pop the mobile on again then leave. Eventually she will go to sleep for me as i know she is tired so needs it.

However i have days like today where she has been put down in her cot and she stops the crying and starts playing, which basically means that there is no chance of her sleeping :roll: so i just have to get her back up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Premhospital
Back