My amazing Home water birth

tiggy85

Reaction score
Finally I have got around to doing my birth story.

I woke up in the morning of the 21/3/15 feeling frustrated that I was 4 days overdue, especially considering my first baby came 2 weeks early I just felt fed up and that he was never going to come! So I decided that today despite my SPD I was going to get baby out. I decided to do laps of the block and ‘running’ up and down my stairs all day! I had been having regular contractions on and off for the previous two weeks which kept fizzling out to nothing so I wasn’t surprised that I was contracting on my walk in the afternoon. By the time I got back I was having terrible backaches and the contractions were more painful than they had been so I decided to have a bath.

In the bath I had 3 really strong painful contractions in 15 mins and given that the bath certainly didn’t help I knew it was time to call the midwives and make the call to mother in law to come and look after my toddler.

At 17.30 I called the oncall midwife to tell her I was in labour and remind her that I laboured fairly quickly last time. She said she would send the second on call midwife around as she was closer.

At 18.00hrs Rachel the first midwife arrived almost the same time as my mother in law arrived. At this point I was getting a bit panicky as my labour room was full of clutter that my husband was painting and was no where near ready for me to labour. So after a few choice words he started getting the labour room ready and fully pumping the pool up.
Rachel took my observations and had a chat inbetween contractions and encouraged me to have paracetomol and eat! I was far beyond eating as I was contracting 3 in every 10 mins.

At 18.20 second midwife Becky arrived. I knew her from where I used to work which was strange but she was amazing and a total rock whilst my husband was getting the labour room and pool ready. I started to use my microwave wheat bag on my back which Becky massaged into my back during a contraction. This was lovely pain relief and Becky had the best technique!

At 19.00hrs we discussed getting into the pool – so hubby started filling it up. I was contracting very strongly by now but had no idea how far dilated I was. The midwives talked me into a vaginal examination whereby I discovered I was 8cm. By the time the pool was ready the original on call midwife arrived – she was a little bit clumsy and kept falling over things- hehe! I was more worried about her than I was about me at times lol.

At just gone 19.30 I got into the pool. It was heavenly! Almost as soon as I got into the water I had strong urges to push – so midwife encouraged me to go with my body. At 19.55 Baby Boy Jensen arrived weighing 8lbs 3oz using just paracetamol, heat and water!
It was an amazing feeling and I just sat for a while in the pool cuddling my baby. By far the best birth and would repeat it all 10 times over if I could!

Here are some pics of immediately post birth

Last edited:
Well done you! Am always in awe of people that go it without pain relief! xo

That sounds absolutely amazing. Congratulations and well done!!

Sounds fab hun. Congratulations.

Michelle.x

Wow amazing!!

I really would like a water birth - I just think they seem more relaxing than laying on a bed..

He is gorgeous & congratulations!!

Wonderful story..

xx

Last edited:
Ahh, beautiful! I love a positive birth story! Congratulations xx

Oh wow, congratulations, sounds like you did absolutely amazing. He's beautiful, well done! Odd thing for me to notice...but I love that top you're wearing too, where did you get it? :lol: xx

Wow! He looks so alert and content... A testiment to how calm you were in labour I'd say! Well done xxx

Thanks ladies. I still want to do it all over again lol! Maybe not the sleepless newborn nights lol! But the birth bit!

The top I'm wearing in the pool is the tankini top which I got from mothercare in the summer. Xxx

Hi Tiggy, I also had a home waterbirth and so pleased I did, my labour took considerably longer than yours (44hrs from early labour, 22 from established labour) and as she turned her head the crowning took 20mins 7-8 pushes and was HARD but worth it lol...had to laugh about the OH preparations though as could have been us if our little princess had been early lol...I spent many hours in the water and was the best pain relief ever! Pain relief didnt even cross my mind until the end tbh and by that point my body was taking over and had no time to think lol...

My congratulations! The pictures are amazing! You look very happy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back