KarenC - Matilda Elizabeth born 17.06.12 - Home birth

KarenC

Reaction score
Hi all. It's taken a while to get round to posting our birth story here - things have been a bit crazy at home, but I'm snatching the chance to write about our lovely home birth experience now.

I had planned to have a water birth at home and all the bits were in place. It was two days before my due date. I woke up at 4am on the morning of Sunday 17th June with a twingey feeling in my uterus. I waited until I had had three of them before telling my husband, then I got up because I knew I wouldn't be able to sleep any more. I went downstairs where I practised some yoga, sat on my ball and did some sewing. By breakfast time the pains were irregular and reduced so we decided to go out as planned. We went to Beeston Castle and climbed the hill there. I had one quite strong contraction up on the summit, and lots of other twinges too. I thought they were just strong period pains rather than proper contractions, so we thought I'd have possibly days to go before I went into established labour. We went for lunch at an antiques centre, but the pains increased so we decided to head home.

We got home at 4pm. I took 2 paracetamol and tried to nap but the pains were getting stronger and more regular, so at 6pm I got up. At 6.30pm I thought I'd ring the labour ward to notify the community midwives that they would probably be attending a home birth that night. My contractions were about 2-3 minutes apart, but never lasted longer than 45 seconds. Some of them were as short as 20 seconds, so I still didn't think I was in established labour.

My first midwife, Rhian, rang me and told me to ring her back when I thought I couldn't cope with the pain any more. Hubby was running around the house prepping the birthing pool, fetching towels, cushions etc. We tried to eat some dinner but I couldn't eat more than a few mouthfuls. At 8pm I called Rhian back and she arrived at 8.30pm. Upon examining me she said 'Oh wow... you clever girl. You've just got a rim left on your cervix' :shock:

She quickly called the second midwife, Pat, to attend. She arrived at 9.15pm, by which time I was in the pool contracting hard and thinking about starting to push. The pool was lovely, but it slowed my contractions down a lot, so I got out eventually to labour next to it on the floor. The midwives and hubby just sat around me and we chatted between contractions about my grandma's 11 children, all sorts of things. It was quite jolly really...

I was sent upstairs to push on the loo a few times, during which I really felt like I was going to poo LO into the toilet bowl - it really worked though. I was helped back downstairs again to push some more. Her head was crowning really slowly and I couldn't push her past the 'bend', so her head was stuck half way out for ages. I alternated between leaning forward on my knees and squatting backwards supported by my husband. The midwives were so encouraging and hands-off. They just sat and watched and talked me through it, monitoring LO's heartbeat regularly. After a few more mammoth pushes in a squat position, at 11.16pm baby's head was finally born, followed in the same push by the rest of her body. She was fighting fit, with an APGAR score of 9, screaming her lungs out and bright pink. I couldn't be happier with how well she looked. We found that she was a girl. Hubby cut the cord, then they handed her over to hubby whilst I was cleaned up. Finally they offered me gas and air for stitching - I didn't think do ask for any pain relief at all during labour! It seemed OK to me. Almost overwhelmingly painful at the same time, but what a feeling it is! I have never felt so much power in my body before - it was truly amazing.

I had one stitch in a tear and a graze. They set me up under a quilt in the room in which I gave birth and I started breast feeding immediately. The midwives stayed for two hours, filling forms, tidying up and keeping an eye on me and baby, before leaving a 1am. My husband was wonderfully supportive throughout and so proud of me. I'll admit, I was pretty proud of myself, and since then, our birth story has become the stuff of legend amongst our community midwives :)

I am delighted by my experience and wouldn't hesitate to do it at home again. I never felt scared and was so well looked after - I am so grateful to our midwives for encouraging us to try for a home birth.

We are totally in love with our baby. Tilly has been a handful in the last week but we are finally getting the hang of things... maybe one day I'll actually get out of my pyjamas...

Well done if you've read all of this! Sorry for the essay.
tilly.jpg
xxx

Sweetie, you did so well!! You should be proud of yourself!!

I can't believe that you manged to get to crowning stage with no pain relief! Pleased you got your home birth and that you had such a positive expirience.

Matilda is such a cutie! Massive congratulations to you and hubby.

Lots of Love
Cx

Oh wow what a lovely positive birth story!!! You were so privilege to have wonderful MW’s who supported you and help give you the birth you wanted. Well done you!! Tilly is absolutely gorgeous by the way, she has beautiful lips and lots of lovely black hair J

Last edited:
Huge congratulations to you hun!! Tilly is so so beautiful. What a fantastic experience you had, you sohuld be proud doing it all on two paracetamol! Perhaps I'll be ringing you during labour to ask for tips!

Was there any frame of mind that you got yourself into or anything that you focused on to help you mentally deal the pain?
xx

Fabulous birth story congratulations and well done to you, and hubby for being so supportive! Enjoy your pj's I believe that's why they were invented! Beautiful name and baby xxxx

Well done x
You should be so proud she is a beautiful little girl
I wish you all the best xx

Wow Karen, you did so well! Tilly is adorable, congratulations again xxxx

Massive congrats hun, amazing birth story, absolutely fantastic. And LO is gorgeous too xxx

Wow wow wow you are amazing. Well done you should be so proud of yourself!! Tilly is a little stunner.

It's so nice to read a positive birth experience, sometimes I feel like I only ever hear negative ones but I will keep
Yours right in the front of my mind and hope it will keep me thinking positive thoughts.

Congratulations on your beautiful baby daughter x

Great story! Congrats on ur beautiful daughter! x

What a gorgeous story :) :love: congratulations x Tilly is gorgeous!!!

Congratulations, she is gorgeous :love:
You should be very proud of yourself hun, it sounds like you did an amazing job, well done :)

Perhaps I'll be ringing you during labour to ask for tips!

Was there any frame of mind that you got yourself into or anything that you focused on to help you mentally deal the pain?
xx

Haha! I think you'll have more on your mind than ringing me! Just focus on the fact that every contraction brings you closer to meeting your LO. Think about harnessing the power of the coontractions ratherr than the pain. To be honest, there were plenty of times that I felt like I couldn't do it, and the pain was so intense, so I just focused on breathing.and nothing else. I was lucky to have a relatively short labour, so I imagine I might have gone out of my mind if it had gone on much longer! It was the thought of it being over soon that drove me on. And remember that the pain isn't like injury pain - it won't really hurt you.

Thanks for all your comments! I really hope this inspires some of you to be confident about childbirth! I was SO so lucky in every aspect, but I'm glad to be able to say that good births can happen! xxx

What a fantastic birth storey!!

AND HUGE CONGRATS to you on the lack of pain relief!!!!!!

Tilly is beautiful!!

x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back