I had my water birth!

Sarah W Baby Belly

Reaction score
I am so proud to announce that I am now home from hospital after two nights stay.

Things were difficult at home on monday, because despite my three hours rest, the contractions kicked off again straight after, and I had a night of pacing around with on-off contractions. (mainly on :D )

I was getting quite fed up with all of it because it felt as if nothing was happening. Then at 5:30 tuesday morning I decided to have a bath. I was exhausted and thought it might slow the labour down to give me the chance to have a couple of hours sleep. That was not to be!

At 7:45am my contractions FINALLY! decided to come regularly! yipppeee! At last it was time to go. we arrived at the hospital at about 10am and I was examined (whilst strapped to my tens machine looking like some sort of experiment), and it was announced that I was 3cm dilated and in established labour. Thank god for that.!!!!

I paced the halls for a while, waiting to hear if the home from home room was available, but even better. The water birthing room was available and all ready to go! I cannot tell you how good that felt. Not only was it free I was also calm enough to ask for it. (I didn't want to get my hopes up and it felt like Christmas!)

They then gave me some gas and air to suck on. Fantastic! Highly recommended. I hadn't felt that pissed in over nine months! Wonderful stuff,

I won't say the contractions didn't hurt, but I really didn't care, and I was so much happier now that I knew that every pain was going in the right direction.

By the way I must say that Simon was absolutely wonderful, the whole way through and never faultered once. I focussed just on him the whole time.

Once the water birth was filled, I got in and it was heaven. I could still feel the pain but it was fantastic being able to move around. The main thing I didn't want was to be laid on my back , and in the pool your body can move however it wants, without restriction.

At about 7pm I was fully dilated and the pushing started. I was quite exhausted by this time after having been awake for about 27 hours solid, I was knackered.

By 8:40, and seemingly unable to push quite hard enough, it was suggested I get out and do the last little bit on a birthing stool. I had given up on the gas and air about an hour ago and feeling a bit dispondant, but when the midwife said it would probably finish the job off, i agreed.

I must say the journey out of the pool, whilst all shrivelled up and shivery and sorry for myself, seemed like a climb up mount everest but by this point I definitely wanted him out, so I clambered out and sat on the stool and they put a mirror on the floor underneath me and I could see the head! This was all it took, with a couple more pushes, out he popped at 9pm, totally naturally, well without about a trillion shots of vodka ( i mean gas and air :lol: )

I did have a few stitches, but they haven't caused me any grief so far.

By the time I was stiched up and sorted out there was no way I was going to go home, so I decided to stay at least a night, and ended up staying an extra one because all day yesterday I really couldn't stand up very well and felt faint and knock-kneed.

He was a perfect 7 pounds and 1 ounce and we are delighted.

Sorry for all the detail, but I wanted to tell you about my water birth without pethadine and epidural! I'm so proud of myself and the DH.

He's found my nipples and that is working as well.

Thanks for all your lovely messages. It means a lot.

Congratulations sarah,

I am not suprised you wanted to tell everyone, i would have been so proud of myself if i did it "o' naturel"!

:D :D :D :D

thanks!

i couldn't have done it without gas and air though, that stuff is incredible!

:D

Congrats hun, well done to you!!

xxx

congratulations and good for you!

I loved gas and air too. If I ever have another baby I will look forward to a blast on it again lol

Can't wait to see some photos of your bubby.

Lou :)

Huge congratulations Sarah!
What a fantastic story - sounds so calm and happy.
Can't wait to see pics!
Lucyx

congratulations sarah
cant wait to see some pics

love sarah

what a fantastic birth story sarah! congratulations!!!!! i want mine now!!!!!

Well done,it sounds like such a lovely birth! I would have loved to use the birthing pool but as I was induced and strapped up to moniters I couldn't! Congratulations!

congrats hun sounds lovely cant wait to see some pics xxxxx

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwww about time missus!! :D :D :D

Well done you for just having gas and air - you had my original water birth plan - *goes green* lol

Do we get to see any piccies soon? :D

Agree on G&A - fab stuff.

I'm well chuffed for you sweetie xx

Congratulations to you both. Your birth sounds wonderful, I hope mines something like that.

Well done Sarah!! Your birth sounds amazing and an inspiration to us all!!!

Many many congratulations to both you and Simon.

Can't wait to see some pictures of little one.

xxx

:D CONGRATULATIONS SARAH!

Really happy to hear you got the birth you wanted, it's really helped to take the edge of my nervousness as my due date approaches.

No wonder you are proud, you did a great job

Can't wait to see some pictures of baby Samuel!

Lucy
39 + 3

What a wonderful birth and very well written, an inspiration to us all, I wish I asked for the bloody pool now. And to have the mirror offered is a great idea.

I am so chuffed for you that I am now crying - typical moi!

Can't wait to meet your little man.

Love,

Minikins

Well Done!!! You are quite right to be proud of yourself to have done it without anything but gas and air and water! I feel quite inspired - I'm planning on a water birth too (fingers crossed) and your story just adds to my conviction that it's a Good Thing.

As everyone says - send pictures; we want to see your little water baby!

Congratulations Sarah!!!

Your water birth sounded great, I think I'll look into that!!!

Well done and take care!

Can't wait to see the pics!

Sam xx

CONGRATULATIONS SARAH!!!!!!

Too much detail??- not at all!! its so nice you can share your experience with everyone. l would like a water birth, you telling us that it worked well for you has made me even more so determined to have a water birth or at least have the main part of labour in water,....and of course if the birthing pool is available. A very good weight for baby too.

Men, they do have some use, lol! lts great he helped you through it. They are lovely really.

Again congratulations, and take it easy hun.

Fluffy. xx :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back