Music During Labour?

dannii87

Reaction score
My Mum asked if I'd thought about having music during labour and I always thought it would probably irritate me more than anything... but thinking about it, it could distract me/calm me etc so I'm swaying towards making a CD or something & just taking it with me to hospital...

Only thing is, I'm not one of these people into whale music and birds tweeting while someone's playing the flute etc :oops: So I'm thinking like, David Gray, Coldplay kind of stuff?

Any ideas ladies? So far I have;

? Coldplay (The Scientist)
? David Gray (Sail Away)
? Katie Melua (9 Million Bicycles)
? Delta Goodrem (Butterfly)
? Coldplay (Fix You)
? David Gray (Freedom)

Oh, and do I have to take a CD player or something? :think: xx

Hahaa well my labour music list is very different than yours hehe! I would need something happy and dancey and that I can sing to keep my mind off things if I listened to calming music I would probs end up sat crying and getting all emotional!

boomtown rats _ dont like mondays
The Vapours - Turning Japanese
Toy Dolls - Nellie The Elephant (LOL my mum and dad keep telling me I should sing nursery rhymes because thats what they did so I thought this would be better for me!)
Jilted John - Gordon is a moron
Areo Smith - Pink
George Michael - Faith
Wham! - Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go
The Other Side of Summer - Elvis Costello
Pato Banton - Groovin'
Pato Banton - Bubblin hot
Shaggy - Boombastic
Fun Loving Criminals - Scooby Snacks
Sugar Ray - Every morning
Bitty McLean - It Keeps Rainin'
CSS - This month Day 10
Billy Ocean - Love Really Hurts With out you
REEF - Place your hands
System Of A Down - Chop Suey!
Noah and the Whale - 5 Years Time

That will keep me going for a little while anyway!

I want to be at your labour Nikki! Sounds like a good party! :lol: Just get the gas and air flowing and we'll be well away :rotfl:

:lol: Your list doesn't help me much then lol!

Hope you have fun in labour! lol! x

claireyfairey said:
I want to be at your labour Nikki! Sounds like a good party! :lol: Just get the gas and air flowing and we'll be well away :rotfl:

Hahaa well Im pretty hyper with out the gas and air just the music will have me giggling even through extream pain! Gas and Air will just top it all off! Hehe and its completely legal too!

Serious if you dont know the Nellie the elephant song you have to hear it makes me pee myself laughing and Gordon is a Moron LOL

Linkys.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9m7tPikH0UA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMj1xM8QCRg

I'm going to try and think of some nice chilling ones for you Dannii... :think:

How about:

Enigma - Return to Innocence (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JpJjsHgYHA )
Anything by the Lighthouse Family! I love them :) Lifted, Ocean Drive, Free...all good ones!
Bill Withers - Ain't no Sunshine
Otis Redding - Sittin' on the dock of the Bay
Zero 7 - Destiny (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INn1C6ImJKg)
Moby - Porcelein
The Cranberries - Ode to my Family (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xf5ZlTlrgw)
Groove Armada - At the River
Massive Attack - Teardrop / Unfinished Sympathy (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1svI-owtWA)

Hmmm, can't think of any others just now! Hope there's some ideas there for you anyway babes :hug:

Hahaha, Nikki those links are great!!!

I've just had this bizarre vision :lol: Wouldn't it be fun if we could all give birth together whilst listening to some silly music and off our heads on gas and air! :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: Now that would be a memorable experience! :lol:

Think you girls could cross your legs til September please? ;) :lol:

You're a star Claire!! Cheers hun!! :dance: :hug:

I've added most of them to my list!! I didn't even think of the Lighthouse Family!!

xx

No problem hun :) It kept me busy for a while which is good, I love a project ;) Give me stuff to do people, please! :pray: :lol:

dannii87 said:
Oh, and do I have to take a CD player or something? :think: xx

I'd say take your own personal CD player in.
I'm taking my Ipod Nano, I need to put some more music on it though, probably Coldplay and Cranberries stuff.

My midwife told me they have a CD player and I'm welcome to bring in any CDs I want. Which is great.... but all my music is on my ipod nano so I'm taking that and some speakers. She told me plugging in my own speakers would be fine as long as I 'didn't tell them about it'. If you tell them you are plugging in your own equipment they have to call an electrician in!

My favourite album at the moment is Martin Simpson - Prodigal Son, so I'll be listenign to that (best song for your list Dannii is Kit's Tun). Also Art & Garfunkel definitive collection. And a whole heap of chilled stuff. I'd also add Martha's Harbour to your list (All about Eve) and The Rose (Bette Midler of all people). Oh and Diamond Day.... can't remember who that is by, Vashti or something odd.

You'd better start compiling those tunes pretty quickly young lady! :rotfl:

Anything you can sing along to Danni ... singing will keep ya throat nice n loose ;) well tis my plan for music anyways :D

What about some Erykah Baddhu, Aretha Franklin, Eurythmics?

I've yet to do my cd's yet but i've got a few mix cd's some dj mates of mine have done which are mostly funk and breakbeats.. think i might chuck in some mellow psytrance and drum n bass too and am gonna sort out some good sing along stuff that i know the words too :D

Great idea this, I've given my husband strict instructions to make me up a birthing CD, which will consist of clubbing tunes but the more chilled out sort. That and the gas and air, I might be dancing round the labour suite! :lol:

Ive just finished my music actually, been doing a bit each day when I got some inspiration! Im taking my ipod and speaker dock so I can either have it quietly through the headphones or out loud if I feel the need. Have put mostly pretty calm stuff on it, but also that I can sing to if I want, so its a mix of stuff like Jack Johnson, David Gray, James Blunt, Dido etc but also some things like Amy Winehouse and old Motown tunes that will pick me up a bit if I start to flag. I love old Motown music, just makes me wanna sing and dance so hopefully should lift me out of a dip if I start to feel tired or cant cope anymore :pray: :hug:

My hubby suggested music during my labour at home and I swore a lot at him and told him in no uncertain terms did I need to hear any. :lol:

I really did prefer the silence and just used it to relax myself into. Music would have been so distracting for me. But then someone else might like it. Plus when contracting close together you just don't hear anything you are so focused on your body. If you leave going into hospital till as late as possible chances are by the time you get there setting up a CD to listen to will be the last thing on your mind.

I had a 'Birthing Playlist' on my ipod. It consisted of Guns n Roses, The Killers, Slipknot, Amy Winehouse. Never put it on though when I was in labour as I actually forgot I had my ipod with me. I had the radio on but I barely even noticed it was on between me rambling on about being away with the fairies and 'loving it'. aahh, I miss the Gas & Air, was a right laugh! :lol:

There was a CD player in my labour suite but I don't know if that is standard so I would take something with you to listen to your music just incase. If they do have a cd player then bonus! :cheer:

:rotfl: @ Nickys list.

Am I really old as when you linked to nelly the elephant and Gordon I couldnt believe that anyone would not have heard these songs :oops:

You missed off peaches though.

Danni fab idea anything to get you through and you can always scrap the idea if you dont fancy it when the time comes

I love Motown too Lisa! I might add some of that :D

I'm youtubing most of the stuff you've all mentioned! To see if any of it'll suit! :dance:

Yeah, I mean, I always thought I'd be annoyed with background noise but then I can always switch it off I guess if it's irritating me :think:

I'll probably make the CD, have it all ready and forget it when I leave for hospital after all this :lol: xx

Nikki you're list is funny you forgot this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSywtiAirKE

Here's a few Danni:

Corrine bailey rae- like a star
Norah jones - come away with me
Otis Redding - these arms of mine

I have some calming tranquaility cds but have to see how I feel, its weird because Like you nikki im a bit of a nutter but when im in pain i have to focus, i know its not the same but I have had some pretty bad asthma attacks and the last thing I felt like doing was jumping around the room its like you need to enter a completly different frame of mind to guide your brain into what it needs to do if that makes sense... And noise actually fooks you right off...

Some prodigy and Linkin park would suit me for the pushing park though lmao!!!

Classic FM for me and then the following albums:

Now 62
Now 64
R Kelly
Green Day
Anastacia
The Essential Bands
Daniel Bedingfield
UB40

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.