MOSES BASKET or COT?

JuicyJess

Reaction score
for some weeks now i have been trying to decide wether to get a moses basket or let my newborn go straight into her cot.

i have spoken to the MW about this and it poses no higher risk of cot death like everyone seems to think, but i dont think i can really afford a moses basket right now. the MW also said that it is a good idea to get the baby into a good habbit of sleeping in a cot from the beggining. i have done up the nursery, it is gorgeous! (i hope to post some pics of it very soon) it is yellow, orange and is dacorated in winnie the pooh! with WTP blinds, lamp, border and pics on the wall. :lol: very cute!

at the time of buying the cot i decieded instead of getting a cheaper cot and a moses basket, i would get a more expensive, but nice and sturdy, hard wearing cot with a air-flo matress, especially designed for newborns.

what would you use?
votes and replies much apprechiated xxx

Hi Juicyjess,

if your bedroom is big enough I would use the cot in the room beside the bed that way you only have to drop the side down in the night to feed and sooth.

My friend did this and found that at 3 months when she moved her in to her own room she was already used to the cot.

My sister used a moses basket but he didnt get on with it and she too opted for using his cot in her room after about 3 weeks.

I am quite lucky and having seen my friend and sister have a baby in the last year I have seen a lot things that they brought and didnt use, and a mose basket was one of them.

But then everyone is different someone else I know used a mosebasket through to 4 months.

Hope this helps

thanks for your reply. my babys nursery has a built-in bed next to the cot for me to sleep on through the early days and difficult nights. i also have my on bedroom nextdoor xxx

Okay a bit of forward planning here. Once baby is born, we will have little time to prepare ourselves any gormet dinners. Now I dont know about anyone else but I like to eat healthily and dont eat convenience/frozen ready meal rubbish. and I certainly dont want to start eating crap food, especially when I will be wanting to get my figure back, plus I will be breast feeding, so what I eat is what the baby will eat!
I know a suggestion is to cook meals in advance and freeze them, but I have very limited freezer space.

So I thought it would be a good idea to start a post where people can exchange quick and easy recipes or even let us know of any yummy easy cook food you have found in youur loval super markets. So once baby arrives we can cook a load of great healthy easy meals.

Hi Cat,

I know this wouldnt applie to me at this point of time, but seeing as the weather is turning and salads will soon be replaced with hot steaming vegetables (I too love my healthy food)

a slow cooker would be a great idea for vegetable stews, Chicken/ meat, chillis and bolognaise, I have one and use mine whilst at work you could prepare it the night before and switch it on in the morning.

it will cook it for you and all you have to do when you get five is dish up a healthy meal with no effort.

either that or order a curry and eat the salad they deliver with it :lol: :lol:

Sarah

I've got a Moses basket for downstairs during the day and a rocking crib for our room during the night. When the baby is bigger and old enough for sleeping in her own room then she's got a cot.

The moses basket I will be able to sell on on Ebay (they really seem to hold their value on there). The crib was 2nd hand from Ebay but I bought a new mattress, and the cot was £27.50 new from Ebay (+£12 for the mattress), so financially it hasn't been too much of a burden as I know I will be able to get rid of the moses basket and crib afterwards.

Oh cr@p sorry, I posted this in your thread I ment to start a new one, please ignore me!

What I ment to write here was. . .
I have bought a cot/bd that becomes the childs first bed and wil last them up to 10 years! but its far to big to move into another room, so for the first few weeks while OH is on paternety leave we will have bub in moses basket in with us, then I will be sleeping in the nursery dealing with night feeds so OH can get a reasonable nights kip when he has to go into work., I will start off by putting the moses baset in the cot then take away the basket so its just sleeping in the cot itself.
Its also going to be usefull to let the baby sleep in the moses basket during the day, As I dont have a pram just a travel system, which you shouldnt let the baby sleep in to much as its not a proper flat mattress. So this way I can keep the baby with me around the house, instead of just leaving it sleeping in the nursery on its own during the day.

I have just ordered a swinging cot from www.kiddicare.com that was recommended to me by a work colleague. He currently has his five week old baby sleeping in it quite happily.

The best bit is the price. It is currently reduced from £79.99 down to £29.99 and it is called the Bethany Cot.

I always try to go on recommendations and hopefully this little find will pay off!

:D

i can get a moses basket off my friend second hand for £10 that has only been used for 5weeks which i think is very reasonable, but my mum was upset when i told her i wanted to get it because she had helped me prepare the nursery for the arrival. i too have a travel system so i cant use that as a sleeping area for baby while downstairs, but i have got one of those bouncers and baby will hapily sleep in that when layed in flat position xxx

Hello!!

what i want to do is to get the baby used to sleep in his cot during the day but in the night he will sleep with us in our bedroom in a moses basket. I bought a mothercare one on e-bay with a stand for £25 including P&P and it is in excellent condition!!!
I have not bought a cot yet, would like to buy a cotbed. bought one on e-bay but was so disappointed!!! So I have decided to buy the cot brand new but they are so expensive!!!! so I am still looking for a kind of bargain lol

hiya
i have got both
im using the moses basket at the mo as i can move her around without waking her up. i find it easier
the cot is still flat packed in the corner of my room(o dear!) an the moses basket is on the floor next to my bed as she hasnt got her own room coz our flat is a bit small
i found that i could afford all the basic baby stuff with some still left over from that baby grant from the council. she hasnt got all the best baby toys but i think shes got enough. she dosent play with them ne way
luv mummy + nicole keila

I've got a rocking crib for next to the bed, and a cot-bed for later.
the baby will be in our room for at least 2-3 months after it's born, it's much easier when breastfeeding as you don't need to get out of bed at all! hehehe

Futuremum

Try www.kiddicare.com. They seem to take money off everything! And the postage is free above £50

I am going to get the reusable nappies from there. They are selling Bambino Mio birth to potty pack for £159 instead of £225 and they are throwing in extra nappies as well. Bargain!

i was lucky coz i wasnt sure which to do but then decided on the cot but when i left work they had brought me a moses basket so now my baby gets best of both worlds lol
sarah and bubba

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back