Moses basket, crib or cot??? Help!!!

Kerrieanne

Reaction score
Right I can't bloody we'll make up my mind and was wondering what you girlies are doing on here.

I have been given a Moses Basket which I've decided to keep downstairs with me for daytime use. I just need to get a new mattress and some nice new bedding for it.

I don't really want to use it for bedtime but I can't seem to make up my mind on what to have in my bedroom?? I've seen a nice wicker basket which is alot more sturdy than the slightly flimsy Moses basket I've been given. Or... do I get a crib??

I can fit a cot in my bedroom easily too but is it ok to put a baby in a cot so young?? I know you can get a small mattress thingy to put in the cot while they are still small.

Any advice or your own intended bed time preference would be really appreciated xx

Last edited:
We have also been given a moses basket and have bought a cot so I think we will see how we go. Probably moses basket for a few weeks then we will put the cot in our bedroom and put her in that. I believe it is fine to put a baby in the cot from birth but they can look (and maybe feel) a little lost in a big cot.

We've gone for a crib. The pram we're ordering comes with a moses basket stand - so will use that down stairs.

We choose a crib cos we felt a cot was too big right away, but the crib is a bit bigger than a moses basket so should hopefully last a bit longer.
xxx

I have the pram for during the day downstairs - and cot set up in my room for night time - I think the cribs can be fine but that the baby grows out of it quite quickly so I decided to save the money :)

If your thinking about getting a cot straight away - what about putting baby in the moses basket - then the basket in the cot - then little one wouldnt be so lost in a big cot.

xxx

I'm using a carrycot downstairs for during the day. The cotbed in the nursery is flippin massive, can't be moved into our bedroom without dismantling. So we have got a travel cot with bassinet insert for the bedroom. Small enough so bubs isn't lost in it and big enough so he won't grow our if it too quick. We bought a proper mattress for it too.

I had a Moses basket downstairs and a crib upstairs. Tho for the first few weeks I took the Moses basket upstairs at nite so I didn't disturb them to put them in the crib, both my boys settled better in the Moses basket and I was sad to see it go when they got to big lol.

Last edited:
I have a moses basket for day time use only and a small white wooden rocking crib for night time in our bedroom. For when LO grows out crib, we have a full sized cot which wont fit in our bedroom but will fit in LO's own room.

I know some ppl just use the moses basket for night time - you can get stands so their raised off the floor. Moses basket is a good bit smaller than crib tho so wont do for long (and ours is quite a big basket) - the rocking crib is the same one I used with eldest LO & it did til she was 6 m/o which was when she moved into her own room anyway, so timed nicely with moving to big cot too.

Oh and newborns are fine & safe in big cots from birth but they may feel like its such a big space compared to a snug basket - you might be able to get cushion things for newborns in cots

:)

Oh some great bits of advice here, thanks :)

I am warming to the cot idea and I had previously thought of putting the Moses basket in the cot so she wouldnt look so small and to give her a little comfort having a smaller surrounding. Maybe I'll see how I get on with that and go from there.

Thanks again, any more advice or preferences are still welcomed. Xx

If your thinking about getting a cot straight away - what about putting baby in the moses basket - then the basket in the cot - then little one wouldnt be so lost in a big cot.

xxx

Thats what i did with the girls and will do same this time round xxx

I've got my carrycot from my pram set up in the bedroom on it's stand and a Moses basket for the living room and to chuck in the car if we go visiting

xxx

Did this with my son and it worked fab!

However Georgie hated her basket - it became a running joke that I needed her to wake up so would put her down in it. We had a gliding crib upstairs which she slept very well in until 5 months when she went straight into a cotbed with no probs.

Totally up to you and baby

Hope you have a wonderful pregnancy x

Sent from my BlackBerry 8900 using Tapatalk

We have a Moses basket and stand which will be in our bedroom to start with. Hopefully then we will move her to her own cotbed in her own room when the time is right. That is the plan anyway... We'll just go with the flow a bit and see how it al pans out! X

I have a bouncer for downstairs and Moses basket for upstairs bouncers are really good as well they are also goo for weaning and can be used for months xx

Weve got a meses basket for the day downstairs and a swinging crib for the bedroom. Cot will be set up in the nursery for when lo is big enough. Although u could put ur moses basket in the cot at night if ur room is big enough. The main thing is hun that bubs feels snug n secure and if he/she was in the cot they might feel exposed/open to everything.
xxxx

We went for a full size cot straight away and Vanessa was sleeping in it regularly by 6/7 weeks. I've got to warn you though that your LO might not want to sleep in whatever you get at first... and will probably only fall asleep on or next to you. I really wish someone had warned me about this as I had a terrible first few nights before we realised that all she wanted was to sleep with me (or dad) so we ended up co-sleeping for a few weeks. Now though, she's brilliant and will settle in her cot (still next to our bed) and will stay asleep if put there :)

Oh yeah...i forgot to say that too....

No matter what you have for sleeping in, baby probably wont want to sleep in it, but will eventually!! My LO has 3 places for sleeping & sometimes wont sleep in anything

:roll:

Yes thank you, so glad I have this forum to turn to for advice sometimes. Xx

I have a Moses basket for downstairs and a crib for in my bedroom. Once the baby is big enough we will then move her to the nursery with a cot. The only reason I went for a crib in may room was not big enough for a cot xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back