**** Money saving hints and tips ****

CARNAT22

Reaction score
Just thought we could have a thread to share money saving tips???

I only have two more paydays until I go down to nothing for the last 3 months so I need to save every penny I can...

I'll do my list in a sec, but look forward to hearing everyone's suggestions :lol:

xxxxxxxx

Last edited:
If I am doing an online shop, I always Google voucher codes to see if I can get any money off. Yesterday I managed to get £15 off my Sainsbury's shop by doing this!

* check all your utility bills are as low as they can be. You could benefit from changing tariffs. Same with mobile phone
* give regular meeting readings
* be liberal with you use of heating in winter. An extra layer works once the house is warm.
* if you use a credit card consider moving to a new card with 0% interest, this is beneficial if you need a bit of time to pay off bills. I've done balance transfers a few times and actually cut up the new card so I am not tempted to spend more on it.
* have regular clear-outs and sell anything of value [be aware of new postage prices though!!!]
* if you see a good deal on any 'cupboard' goodies then stock up. I buy all my loo roll, kitchen roll, Ketchup, beans, pasta etc when on special.
* take a monthly trip to Pound Land and stock up on anything you use (I get all my cleaning products, washing up liquid etc..)
* do your clothes shopping in the sales, same with kiddies. Summer clothes work in winter with an extra layer..
* check locally for free activities - parks, farms, baby groups. Or else even just going out for a long walk with some homemade sandwiches can be an 'afternoon out'.
* plan your meals buy the week and shop for only what you need
* bulk up meals with veg or salad. A spag bol will last an extra day with peppers and courgettes and a side salad makes a jacket spud feel like a complete meal
* try to have a few meat free days - veggies are much cheaper
* buy and freeze any meat when on special offer. Same applies to anything freezeable really.
* try shopping later in the evening for cheaper produce. I once got 2 steaks from M&S for £3 as I went in just before closing.
* use local butchers and greengrocers
* don't remain loyal to one supermarket, shop around
* Google for money off codes if you are ordering a Domino's or Pizza hut (or cheaper still have a shop bought pizza, or even make your own)
* For grown up nights out look online for deals. Pizza Express do a 2-4-1 on Wednesday's. www.toptable.com have loads of 50% off deals.

That's all I can think of right now

xxxxxxx

If I am doing an online shop, I always Google voucher codes to see if I can get any money off. Yesterday I managed to get £15 off my Sainsbury's shop by doing this!

Really? Wow. I online shop too and it's just so expensive even online where you can be less impulsive xx

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

* check all your utility bills are as low as they can be. You could benefit from changing tariffs. Same with mobile phone
* give regular meeting readings
* be liberal with you use of heating in winter. An extra layer works once the house is warm.
* if you use a credit card consider moving to a new card with 0% interest, this is beneficial if you need a bit of time to pay off bills. I've done balance transfers a few times and actually cut up the new card so I am not tempted to spend more on it.
* have regular clear-outs and sell anything of value [be aware of new postage prices though!!!]
* if you see a good deal on any 'cupboard' goodies then stock up. I buy all my loo roll, kitchen roll, Ketchup, beans, pasta etc when on special.
* take a monthly trip to Pound Land and stock up on anything you use (I get all my cleaning products, washing up liquid etc..)
* do your clothes shopping in the sales, same with kiddies. Summer clothes work in winter with an extra layer..
* check locally for free activities - parks, farms, baby groups. Or else even just going out for a long walk with some homemade sandwiches can be an 'afternoon out'.
* plan your meals buy the week and shop for only what you need
* bulk up meals with veg or salad. A spag bol will last an extra day with peppers and courgettes and a side salad makes a jacket spud feel like a complete meal
* try to have a few meat free days - veggies are much cheaper
* buy and freeze any meat when on special offer. Same applies to anything freezeable really.
* try shopping later in the evening for cheaper produce. I once got 2 steaks from M&S for £3 as I went in just before closing.
* use local butchers and greengrocers
* don't remain loyal to one supermarket, shop around
* Google for money off codes if you are ordering a Domino's or Pizza hut (or cheaper still have a shop bought pizza, or even make your own)
* For grown up nights out look online for deals. Pizza Express do a 2-4-1 on Wednesday's. www.toptable.com have loads of 50% off deals.

That's all I can think of right now

xxxxxxx

Love these. Thanks xxx

Always stock up on wipes if the offer is good.
Go for supermarkets own brand, it will always be cheaper.
I always buy washing powder on offer, never pay full price.
Taking snacks with you is much cheaper than buying it in a coffee shop etc.

Tapatalking so cant see signatures

Another one is check what you buy. For example in Sainsburys, chicken and trout for example are exactly the same in basics range, just differenr sizes in a pack. Why pay more?

Tapatalking so cant see signatures

I only buy Fairy (washing powder and fabric softener) and I've not paid full price is about 8 months lol. There always seems to be deals on?

I use a lot of branded stuff but will only buy it when it's on special. My weakness is for cheap kitchen roll, we have tons of Plenty in the 'stock cupboard' !!!

xxxxxxx

Last edited:

Really? Wow. I online shop too and it's just so expensive even online where you can be less impulsive xx

Yes! Yesterday I used YF7H-7GXK-TDC4 to get £15 off a £60 shop as a new customer.

And apparently (although I've not tried it) if you keep registering with Sainsbury's and Tesco with different email addresses you can use new customer money off codes again and again, as it's the email address they go by not your home address.

Last edited:
I may well have to try that Titch!!

xxxxxxx

LOL, I have a Sainsbury order coming tomorrow! I paid fiver for delivery but that is still a tenner saved and I have all the nappies and baby milk we'll need for weeks now :lol:

xxxxxxxxxxx

Try topcashback or bootstreatstreet I use these every little helps as they say :) hope I'm allowed to put them here lol

LOL, I have a Sainsbury order coming tomorrow! I paid fiver for delivery but that is still a tenner saved and I have all the nappies and baby milk we'll need for weeks now :lol:

xxxxxxxxxxx

Did you use the code above? I think it's valid until 5th July.

If u get ur shopping online with tesco then get a delivery saver, its £60 for 6 months so as you normally pay £5 each time then if u get more than 2 deliveries a week then ur quids in, also keep an eye for the delivery saver offers, we got our 6 month saver for £30! Bargain!
We only really buy own or value ranges (unless its a treat)
Xxx

Tesco £5 off a £40 shop - XXKNMH. Valid until 16/6/13.

Tesco £10 off a £50 shop - XXAFFT. Valid until 30/12/15. AS NEW CUSTOMER!

Tesco £12 off a £60 shop - XXLLPT. Valid until 30/11/13. AS NEW CUSTOMER!

Sainsbury's £15 off a £60 shop - YF7H-7GXK-TDC4. Valid until 5/7/13. AS NEW CUSTOMER!

Last edited:
Yep I used your code Titch!

It was £4.99 for delivery though so the £15 off voucher is only really a tenner off but a bargain still lol!

xxxxxxxx

Tesco £10 off a £50 shop - XXAFFT. Valid until 30/12/15.

Tesco £12 off a £60 shop - XXLLPT. Valid until 30/11/13.

Sainsbury's £15 off a £60 shop - YF7H-7GXK-TDC4. Valid until 5/7/13.

Do you know if these codes are for new customers hun?

xxxxxx

Tesco £10 off a £50 shop - XXAFFT. Valid until 30/12/15.

Tesco £12 off a £60 shop - XXLLPT. Valid until 30/11/13.

Sainsbury's £15 off a £60 shop - YF7H-7GXK-TDC4. Valid until 5/7/13.

Do you know if these codes are for new customers hun?

xxxxxx

Not sure about the first Tesco one, but the others are yes.

Yes! Yesterday I used YF7H-7GXK-TDC4 to get £15 off a £60 shop as a new customer.

And apparently (although I've not tried it) if you keep registering with Sainsbury's and Tesco with different email addresses you can use new customer money off codes again and again, as it's the email address they go by not your home address.

Sweet! I've had my £15 off tesco and sainsburys already but I'll chance another email. *rubs hands together craftily* xxx

Biggest money saver I can suggest is to draw up an actual budget.

I have a big spreadsheet, showing my income and OHs, all our direct debits and then an estimate for food/fuel/"fun stuff" etc. every now and then, ill sit down with a bank statement, and compare what we've spent to the budget (this is going a bit far for some bit being an accountant it's in my nature!!!), and try to work out why we've gone over. I can adjust my future predictions then and we can get better goals for when we'll be able to afford things.

I've never saved in my life (not properly) we did this about 6 months back, and have managed to put away about £500 a month. I was totally amazed, but all it took was a bit of planning and some incentive (baby!!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back