everybodies money saving tips

mel_ed

Reaction score
know its bit random but thought we could share our money saving tips. i know money's going ton get tight for us now i'm on maternity leave so we've gotta cut back. so thought we coud share our ideas 2 help each other to save few pennies. here are a few that i have.

-i always make a shopping list for food shopping and write all the meals down for the week that we are having. otherwise i always end buying loads of stuff i dont need and end up chucking loads of food away

-i always use wrapping paper instead of bags for presents. i think bags are so much more expensive and a waste of money.

-when something like ur fave shampoo is buy 1 get 1 free, stock up. i stock up with at least 6

Last edited:
make LOADS of food when your cooking, then just freeze and have at the time at the month where money is more tight. also, buying bigger packs is often cheaper.

xx

Great Idea Mel Ed,

1) I make all my birthday cards, and you don't need much to start you off, you will save at least £2 per card and the person who gets the card will apprieciate it so much more, and the card can be very specific to the person.

2) We alternate more expensive meal night with cheeper meal night , that way it really makes food go further.

3) Get baking! I make quiches, cakes, pickles, Jams and chutney for the winter, and you don't have to have grown the veg, buy some till you can grow next spring for next year. makes good pressies too, if you make them look posher !

4) Home made pizza , is a big saving, and use mature value cheese, grate it all in a sarnie bag in the freaser, and then spinkle direct from freezer onto pizza when ready to go in the oven. you will use far less cheese as no cheese sticks together and less fattening!
Also I buy one pack of sliced pepperoni and freeze on a tray , then put in a bag when frozen as seperate slices, then take out 6 etc for a pizza (tastes better than pizza hut) make your own for pence or buy the £1 ready chilled bases

Last edited:
The one thing that has really helped me with saving money is having a debit card! I always used to withdraw more money than I needed, and because it was just there in my purse it would be spent on rubbish! Also, I have an Asda and a Sainsburys literally a stone throw from each-other.. And always find that they have different deals on different things! Eg.. Asda may have meat savings, where Sainsburys may have their fruit and veg on offer! I always keep an eye on the adverts before going shopping xx

Never turn you nose up at buying clothes from Charity Shops!

Last week I got a lovely pair of Monsoon trousers for work for just £4.00!! And that goes to a wonderful local Hospice...

I've also had lots of bits from Dorothy Perkins, Marks and Spencer, Next and Mango for less than £7.00 each.

Lxx

Washable wipes, breastfeeding and washable nappies are all ways that I am saving heaps on during the next 12 months :)

I like Mel also make a menu for the week and then buy accordingly - it saves loads of money.

I save all sorts of gift wrap, ribbons and bags from gifts given to me and re-use them. I am the recycle queen! :lol:

Sounds just common sense, but I always used to buy what I wanted , but never stop to think, is it everything I wanted before I came? They use this on the shopohlics shows to try to curb peoples impulse spending. I have a set idea of what I need before I go. when you pick up somthing and decide to put it in your basket ask yourself these questions ? If you can say yes to all , then you can happily buy it, if not put it back. (It really works for me, the baby has only what it really needs and no over spending)

1) Is it what I came shopping for today?
2) Do I really need it ?
3) Is it everything, is it perfect or should I wait for the prefect one?
4) Can I afford it now?

God thank you guys so much, I have no tips as I am the worst for wasting money, I really need to start tightening my belt and save a lot lot more, overdraft and credit card all need paying! Lol. You lot are great :) x

my tips are
1- set a weekly shopping budget food toiltries pets everything inc mine is £35 then write down what you want for meals and see if you can have 'that pudding' lol

2-always get fresh/frozen veg ti goes with anything and cook too much as it will only go to waste anyway and you can stick the rest in a tub and have two night just on left overs or a heavier lunch and just a sanwich for dinnner

3-if there is something you have your eye on or need ie.i needed shampoo and conditioner that are £2 each now £4 is quite a chunk out of are shopping bill so if you cant afford it all at once get one one week and the other the next

4-always buy more before something runs out then you dont have a omg! none left and now the shopping bill is £10 dearer coz this this and this has run out

5-put shopping money aside for clothes or just a shop then you dont feel deprived of a good shop even if it is £30 for the whole month its nice to 'have a little splurge'

6-make things - if its cheaper than buying! do it lol it may not look great to start with but once you have done a few things it helps i have made 3 blankets for this baby for £6 and still have wool left over to make my daughter 3 smaller blankets for her dolls lol

7- jacket potatoes with a tin of chilli or curry is cheaper than making the chilli or curry lol its under £2 for my whole family for this meal :D and its yum!

8-buy bread from farmfoods 2 loaves of hovis for £1!! lol!!

9- if your going to have money to fall back on make sire you have a set amount in your head a month and save this up no matter what dont think or it as spare cash think of it as not there lol it works trust me!! x x

oh and cotton wool balls and cooled boiled water instead of wipes get the cosmectic balls 210 in asda for £1 where as the baby ones coz they say baby on them lol are £1.47 for 200 lol!!

The cotton balls are 2 for £2 here! I got 2 huge bags.. They seriously will do Odhrán until he's starting Secondary school they are bloody HUGE :lol: xxx

Get a change jar and save all your shrapnel and get it cashed into food shopping vouchers! Prob not a saving technique but the money does add up x

if its a dry day always hang ur washing outside saves using electicity for the dryer.

There's some really good ones on here ladies thanks :)

I just buy in bulk cos it ends up cheaper xx

I don't have a baby yet but we have found by accepting fresh veg from neighbours and family who grow their own has saved us money!! If not we go to local farm shop where veg is so much cheaper than the supermarket!!!!

A good money saving tip would be to plan to have a baby the opposite side of the year to Christmas. Means Christmas spending as well as baby spending will all be coming at once this year. Trying to get a few things as i am going but really notice the squeeze already.

I do go to Costco's knowing my prices, and if things are on good offer that week i buy in bulk, yes, more money out in one hit, but saves lots in the long run. Same with buying meat, being farmers we will buy a lamb, part of a cow ect and freeze it, works out a lot cheaper in the long run and really good quality meat.

Preparing for birthdays etc in advance, I always do it like 2 months prior to the actual birthday, then when the time comes I'm not stressed or left short xx

loving all the tips girls. keep them coming. i'll update if i think of any more.

I'm a great fan of cooking in bulk and then freezing the cooked stuff to defrost for whenever you fancy. Also saves on cooking every night which is a subsequent saving in leccy :)

Buy a whole chicken and cook it and then make about 3 meals using 1 chicken! Much cheaper than buying just chicken breasts!
I also freeze leftovers for another day! Saves money and also saves time having to stand there cooking! :)

xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back