Mmm, contraception?

my friend is 3 months pregnant and was breastfeeding her now 7 month old, so she got pregnat while breastfeeding

I'm not chancing it. Toying with a coil

I cant believe a doctor advised you to use breastfeeding as a contraceptive :eek:
its not reliable and if you dont wanna become preg i wouldnt rely on breastfeeding

Bf can be 98% effective as a contraception, which is the same as the pill. But there are a lot of rules. You need to be exclusively feeding, and it needs to be with a certain time limit, most people don't realise that you are not covered once baby starts to sleep longer at night (I think it's about 4hours!!). Also once you've had a period it no longer works, and is less effective when your LO has reached 6months.

I'm still surprised you were told you didn't need anything else.

Xxx

On my iPhone - so cant see tickers :(

I wouldn't risk it, quite surprised your doctor said you don't need contraception. x

putting my two pence in I had a mirena coil fitted the other day, this what i used before for 8 years, had it replaced after 5, and no accidents.

hubby is much happy as we have been abstaining since babba was born lol x x

Well I just had my postnatal check with the doctor and she said as long as I am breastfeeding I don't need any more contraception :shock:

I didn't think this was 100% ?

I don't think I could face being pregnant again just yet!!

OMG i can't believe they told you that.... i know of 8 people who got pregnant whilst breast feeding.... xxx

putting my two pence in I had a mirena coil fitted the other day, this what i used before for 8 years, had it replaced after 5, and no accidents.

I am getting this done on Thursday? How do you find it? Is it sore?!?xx

I forgot about this thread!

I really should sort something out :shock:

Lolly, I had the copper coil so the none hormonal one and it was fine. Didn't find it painful at all but bled for about 5days after and had a bit of cramping. Best thing I've done in terms of contraception. I love not worrying!

Lolly, I had the copper coil so the none hormonal one and it was fine. Didn't find it painful at all but bled for about 5days after and had a bit of cramping. Best thing I've done in terms of contraception. I love not worrying!

Oh that's good to know! Thanks! I'm hoping I don't bleed too much. I'm such a wuss when it comes to pain. Agh! But after childbirth it should be ok. Yeah I think it's best for me to have something I don't have to think about.xxx

What's the difference in the non hormone one and the mirena one?
Obviously one has hormones one doesn't....

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk

I actually have no idea - I'm going on the doctors recommendation having the mirena. And it's more expensive, so they must be a reason they prefer it xxx

It depends on how sensitive you are to contraceptive hormones. I had the Implant a while ago and it was horrible and totally changed my personality. I didn't want to risk that again so opted for the none hormonal. It also has no effect with weight gain whereas the merina can. The down side is you can have longer heavier periods whereas the hormonal one can stop your periods completely. Personally I've had one period so far and it was totally the same as before so no side effects at all :)

I need to sort out this too! I had the copper coil before getting pregnant and don't find my periods changed that much from normal either. I also didn't want the mirena one after having problems with the implant and didn't fancy having another contraception messing with stopping/ extending periods etc. xx

When my hubby was a baby he was breastfed, there are only 10 months between him and his sister... :shock:

I've gone on the mini-pill, getting on with it much better than combined pill. Hasn't affected my periods, made them lighter if anything - just had to set alarm on phone or I forget to take it :/

Well, I've been told that the Dr's will be reluctant to give me hormonal contraceptives due to a history of migraines with visual disturbances, so doesn't leave a great deal of choice. Does the copper coil tend to make you bleed more? Apparantly the implant will be ok, but pills and the rest a no go. x

I'd have thought the implant would be a no go?!!! It has more hormones in it than the mirena coil.
I had the implant removed due to hormones, and was still advised on the mirena coil.
She spoke me through the copper coil too. She did say it can make periods longer by a day or 2. Or it might have no affect at all.xxx

Breastfeeding alone is not a good method of contraception.. Our 2 week old baby girl is proof of this.. :lol: I would get the pill or something as well.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back