Meningitis and the worst week of my life

Rosie's Mummy

Reaction score
My beautiful boy began crying last Friday, although in hindsight we think he may have started to feel ill on Thursday evening. I presumed it was wind as he is a very windy baby, Gripe Water worked a treat and he would bring up loads of wind. When he continued to cry all day on Saturday I started to think that he was coming down with the cold that we have all had. How wrong was I about that..
On Saturday night Steve went to work as usual and I began to get Rosie and Matt ready for bed, to cut a long story short I could not get either of them to sleep because of Matt's crying. Eventually at 8.30pm I decided that I ought to try Matt with some Calpol thinking that it might settle him down if he was feeling unwell. So at the same time I took his temperature. My eyes must have popped out of my head as I read the dial as 38 degrees, I phoned my Mum for some advice and took his temp again whilst I was on the phone, 38.2 degrees; I couldnt believe it, his temp was going up when it should have been going down, I had stripped him off and was dabbing his head with a wet cloth. I hung up on my mum and rang the out of hours doctor service who advised me to take him to ur local hospital to see the doctor - I might mention that just before I made that call I took his temp again and it had risen to 38,7 degrees - I was having fits by now and called Steve to come home from work to take us to the hospital. Anyway, we took him to see the doctor and by this time his temp had come down - the doctor didnt actually tell us what his reading was but to hear him say it was ok was enough I guess. He told us that they werent concerned with babies with high temperatures and just to strip him off and give him Calpol. At the time I thought to myself, 'this doctor is talking shit' as I know that a baby with a temperature says something is wrong BUT you tend to be reassured as you think they ought to be right!
That night Matt slept until 2.15am (just as the Calpol wore off) screaming, his temp was 38 degrees and I gave him some more Calpol as I had been told to do (I am severly kicking myself now believe me) Matt woke the next morning crying again but I had managed to settle him with Calpol and breastfeeding. I was so tired but had him niggling in my head all morning. We had our friend Jimmy over for lunch and Steve got up at about midday. I asked him to come and look at Matt's chest as I thoughy I could see a rash, it wasnt but I guess the whole Meningitis thing was at the back of my mind trying to get to the front! It was soon very apparent that Matt was getting worse when he refused to feed; we made the decision to take him immediately to Bristol Children's A&E as we had excellent treatment for Rosie's breast abcess here.
When we arrived we had to wait about half an hour for the triage nurse to see us but when she took Matt's temp we went straight through to see the doctor (lovely Dermot!). We very quickly had to come to terms with the fact that something serious was wrong, before we knew it I was holding Matt's legs while they put a canula in his hand to take bloods and my poor poor baby screamed the whole time. They then asked us to leave the room while they did the lumbar puncture, I could hear him screaming from outside, it was so distressing I cannot tell you how bad it was. They told us that Matt would have to stay in for at least 48 hours and that they would be testing for lots of things but mainly meningitis - by this time some non-blanching spots had appeared on his legs, this almost made me hysterical! We were taken up to the ward where the lovely doctor came and infomed me that they had found a lot of white blood cells in his CSF (cerebral spinal fluid) and also in his urine. I think I just stared at the doctor in disbelief and then just broke down, that M word - every mother's worst nightmare - the thing that always happend to someone else.
Anyway, this week has been the worst of my life. I have watched Matt slip away from me and then come back again, he has been so so poorly I just can't describe it- there have been times where I have been so upset I can't stop crying, all of the worst things run though your mind - just awful. I would not wish this on my worst enemy.
So now, Matt is improving slowly, his temperature spiked this morning for the first time since we came in but I think that was because the night nurse decided not to give him any Calpol and Ibuprofen because he was so happy at 6am and was even smiling, that changed very quickly and he has mostly slept all day and fed on me. They havent found any bacteria yet in the cultures grown which suggests to me that it is viral - at one stage they were treating it as Group B Strep (late onset meningitis at 3 months) as I had it in pregnancy but they are not anymore. He is on 3 different antibiotics and a steroid to reduce imflammation, all IV, one is on a driver that takes 30 minutes. My poor baby.
All being well we can come home on Saturday if he responds well when the antibiotics stop on Friday - I am praying that he is ok. I can't think about development damage right now but they are going to give him a hearing test; I think his hearing is ok because he can be startled by noise. Thats something else that MG does, it makes them hyper sensitive to everything - light, sound, touch. Matt has had a stiff neck and a probable terrible headache from the inflammation but also from the lumbar puncture. He cries when I lift his legs to change his nappy because it increases the pressure in his head. He has a small hernia in his belly button from all the crying and a very upset tummy/diarrhoea from the onslaught of antibiotics. The only symptoms a temperature and crying - I will never ever overlook that every again with either of my children.
I really want to stress to everyone that a temperature in babies means trouble and it should ALWAYS be checked out, the hospital will always look at a hot baby and treat it seriously.

I so hope that none of you have to endure what I have gone through this week xxx

:hug: am so relieved that Matt seems to be on the mend xx

You poor things :hugs:

So glad lil Matt is on the mend and long may it continue xxxx

:hug: Glad Matt is on the mend. Poor little thing.
Hope your all home and well soon. x

I know Matt didnt get a rash till the end but I'm always overly concerned about rashes. I had a rash for nearly 2 weeks before getting seen, to be told I had meningitis. Its scary :shock:

Just reading this has made me almost cry. I cant imagine how you all must of felt and I hope matt feels much better soon and can get home on Saturday. :hug: You're doing so well.

:hug: you're in my thoughts hun, glad little Matt is improving :) hope he is home soon xx

Awe hunni!!!! :hug: soooo scary I wouldn't wish this on anyone! I hope he goes from strength to strength and gets better soon and there is no damage done xxxx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi hun.
Hope u saw my facebook message.
So glad Matt is, albeit slowly, responding. I'm actually quite weirded by the fact our storied are freakishly similar. Anyway.
I completely understand with the lumbar puncture. Just try and think of it as, he won't remember... and it could have been much worse if they didn't do it. That was all that kept me going. It will stick with you much longer than it will with him.
Just try and hold it together, and as soon as he gets out... u can just let go! The only time I cried this week was when he went for the lumbar puncture. Then when we were released, as soon as I got in the car... I burst out crying (how ridiculous) but it was just that, I could then. I could afford to because the dreaded part was over.
Stay strong hun. Just remember how resilient they are. You are so right. A mum has gut instincts, and are right in the majority of the time.
Good luck with everything hun. When it's over, it will just seem like a bad dream and you're little boy will be home with you.
Thinking of you hun x

I cant even begin to imagine what u have gone thro and i was in tears reading this i am so glad he is on the mend thinking of u all x

I'm so pleased he is responding to medication. I hope he continues to get better and is home soon :hug: Keeping you all in my thoughts chick xx

Oh hun, I'm crying for you reading this...I gave a brief update earlier on here for you but am glad you've been on here yourself...

I just can't think of anything more to say to you hun - I just wish I could hug you and take all the pain away! Fingers crossed for a speedy recovery and I hope he's home very very soon with you all xxx

oh my gosh i shed a few tears reading that :hug: i cant even begin to imagine what you're going thru hun! have been thinking of you all this week :hug: i hope matt continues to go from strength to strength and you can get home on the weekend!xxxx

:hugs: I hope little Matt gets better and can go home on saturday. Thinking of you all! x

Thinking of you, Matt and your family. Can't even imagine how awful it's been for you all. Very frightening!
Hope Matt continues to improve and you all get home soon!

Oh my god hunni, I really feel for you my hubby had Viral Meninigitis a few months back and was seriously ill, it was horrendous, so I can't even imagine how hard it must be seeing your LO go through this. My little Grace had pneumonia this time last year and I'm petrified as she is poorly again at the moment. So many times we thought we might lose her, seeing her like that and feeling so useless was just an awful experience. She has only reently been discharged from ENT and now she is bad again! Argh! They are such little fighters and are very resilient, glad to hear he is starting o respond to meds - my hubby was ill for quite some time due to the lumbar puncture and also was very sensitive to light, sound etc for months. My thoughts are with you and your family, if you need a chat I'm here hunni. Also take care of yourself hun, you need to stay well for Matt, so rest when you can xxxx

Hope hes better asap and your home with him on saturday!

:hug: What an awful time for all of you, so glad he is on the mend and really hope that he is back home on saturday.

Thanks everyone, its so comforting to read your words.

I just want to give some advice about babies and temperatures. A few weeks ago we bought a thermoscan thermometer, I think that purchase was worth its weight in gold. It meant I could take an accurate reading of Matt's temperature and be absolutely certain about it. Also that babies with a temperature are in need of medical attention, the doctor told me in A&E that they treat every 'hot' baby that comes to them as having meningitis, they just cant take any risks. It is so important they they are seen; the lumbar puncture is an awful procedure but without a doubt it is life saving - there is no other way to be certain of meningitis' presence. The doctors here were shocked to hear that the GP who saw Matt said he wasnt concerned about babies with temperatures; do you know he told us that Matt's temo could go up to 40 degrees and he could have a febrile convulsion and that would be normal??!! The docs here are going to contact that hospital and let them know about Matt so that doctor can 'learn' from it. I am also going to so something but Im not sure how to approach it as yet. Some parents might not have had the savvy to take their LO to hospital like we did, especially after the advice that doctor gave us. I will ALWAYS question what a doctor tells me from now on, always. It could mean the difference between life and death xx

Oh my god you poor poor things. I too cried at this, I can't imagine anything worse. Wishing your little boy a speedy recovery and all the best for the rest of the family at this traumatic time. I'm off to buy one of those thermometers, thank you for the advice xxx

If my LO had a temp I would always take her to a&e. FOB had a temp and a runny nose when he was a baby and the doctor told his mum he had a cold. Later his mum took him to a&e anyway and he had meningitis. He was no more than 24 hours off dying. Some doctors just shouldnt be allowed to practice.

Its so good you went on your instinct.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back