Measuring the bump

Lydia

Reaction score
I've read lots of post about midwife or GP measuring the bump. I'm 33 weeks pregnant and they've never measured my bump. Is that normal?
Do you maybe know of any websites you can use to measure it yourself? xx

Are you having growth scans Lydia? I am and so have never had my bump measured by the tape measure. Otherwise your midwife should be measuring it now at your antental appointments when she listens to heartbeat and feels how baby is laying. If she doesn't offer to do it at your next appointment, I'd bring it up with her xx

Ive been measured since 24wks.. I think u should be as theres a graph in ur notes that they need to keep record of.
Id defo mention it to ur MW..

Basically use a normal tape measure from the top of ur uterus which at 33wks will be above belly button by now. down in a line to ur pubic bone.
Every CM classes as a week.. so they like u to measure about 32/34cms at 33wks..

Ive always been 2/3weeks ahead. But im 6ft and so is my OH so they go by average then on the graphs and compare it to u and ur height to determind if they think ur baby might be to big or 2 small.

They are so inaccurate tho hun, alot of women r sent for scans due to small or large bumps and scans measure baby perfectly! xx

really? I had mine done at 28wks and then again at 31wks... I'm measuring ahead so at 34wks one last check and then possible growth scan.

I would just ask them when you're next there... I usually google the appointment week by week and know what they should be doing and always have t remind them of at least one thing.... - I think midwives are pretty lazy tbh

Basically use a normal tape measure from the top of ur uterus which at 33wks will be above belly button by now. down in a line to ur pubic bone.
Every CM classes as a week.. so they like u to measure about 32/34cms at 33wks..

I thought this was the case but mine is different to this.
So instead of at me measuring at 32, 33 or 34cm when im 33 weeks, they want me to be measuring 30, 31 or 32 cm. I have always found it odd that mine is a few cm less as i thought it was determined by week! x

Although most midwives do measure with a tape measure I have come across one who was quite 'old school' and she used to measure using finger widths above the belly button instead or even just by eye. If you google fundal height images you can see diagrams that show where the top of your uterus should be at certain weeks. An experienced mw can probably tell just by looking and feeling if a bump is the right size so might not bother measuring as its not overly accurate anyway.

If you want to have a go at measuring yourself though you need to be laying fairly flat with your legs out straight. Feel for the top of your uterus, it will feel like quite a hard lump and measure in a straight line from there down to your pubic bone. Worth keeping in mind it's probably even less accurate doing it yourself so don't panic if it doesn't come out quite right! Xxx

I thought this was the case but mine is different to this.
So instead of at me measuring at 32, 33 or 34cm when im 33 weeks, they want me to be measuring 30, 31 or 32 cm. I have always found it odd that mine is a few cm less as i thought it was determined by week! x

Not sure what other MWs advise.. but mine has always said 2cms either side of the number of weeks u are is noramlly fine, they send off for growth scans if your measuring 3/4cms behind or ahead over 2 appointments.. Ive always measured ahead and shes never sent me for one!
the 2 scans ive had were from reduced movements.

If ur ever concerned if always mention it to her when shes measured you and they should explain further xxx

I've been measured every mw appointment since 28 weeks: 28 weeks, 31 weeks and 34 weeks. I also had a growth scan as my bump was big and I'd fainted with blurred vision, so they wanted to check baby's size.

It all depends on your growth chart. Some people get told the number of weeks should match the number of cm. This isn't the case for me. Maybe because I'm short. At 28 weeks I was 30cm which measured me at 4 weeks ahead. I've tried measuring myself a few times, but seem to have a very different measurement to the one the midwife has, so I must be doing it wrong.

Mention it to your midwife at your next appointment.

I've just had mine done. You should have an individual growth chart that you got given in your notes, mine was 30cm which was perfect for 32 weeks. Probably because of my weight and height being small.
Definitely ask about it as it's how they guesstimate the growth rate of baby.
xx

I've just had mine done. You should have an individual growth chart that you got given in your notes, mine was 30cm which was perfect for 32 weeks. Probably because of my weight and height being small.
xx

Yeh mine is the same :) I just looked and today I should be measuring at 33.5cm. Nervous about my app today though for some reason xx

Sent from my GT-I9300

xx

Yeh mine is the same :) I just looked and today I should be measuring at 33.5cm. Nervous about my app today though for some reason xx

Sent from my GT-I9300

You'll be fine hun! I've been the same weight for 5 weeks so I was a bit worried but squiggle is apparently growing fine! Clever babies they are, they get all they need whatever we feel like! :) hope it goes ok hun xx

You'll be fine hun! I've been the same weight for 5 weeks so I was a bit worried but squiggle is apparently growing fine! Clever babies they are, they get all they need whatever we feel like! :) hope it goes ok hun xx

May be that I have somebody else today and not sure what to expect from her..
I thought I had put on 7lb in the last two weeks as I stayed at 14lb for about 5 weeks. But when I weighed myself again it was just 2lb in two weeks. He has certainly grown though. Im sure my app will be as quick and easy as the others were xx

Sent from my GT-I9300

Thank you all for the great replies! I'll have my next 34 week midwife appointment on Wednesday so will definitely ask. I don't have any growth scans either so hopefully she will start measuring now to keep an eye on it. xxx

Hope u get measured next time xx

Sent from my GT-I9300

May be that I have somebody else today and not sure what to expect from her..
I thought I had put on 7lb in the last two weeks as I stayed at 14lb for about 5 weeks. But when I weighed myself again it was just 2lb in two weeks. He has certainly grown though. Im sure my app will be as quick and easy as the others were xx

Sent from my GT-I9300

I had a student called Chelsea who looked about 15! Luckily mw was there to supervise as she kept forgetting things, bless!!!

I'm almost 37 weeks and NEVER been measured. I mentioned it to mw when I was about 27 weeks as I was so big I was worried. All she did was feel my bump then sent me for a growth scan which was fine. Iv seen a few different midwives as my regular ones been on holiday/off sick etc and none of them measured me or even mentioned it. However have heard that measuring in this way is not an accurate reflection on babies size.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back