measuring big

Hemera

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've been measuring big on the bump from since the 20 week scan, between 80-100 percent line. At my last midwife appointment I was measure way off the scale - above the 100 centile line by quite a way, the midwife isn't really worried and says that the only real way to know how big the baby is is when he's born and on the scales. At the moment he's measure at approx 5 pounds 9 ounces.

I've not got diabetes and my bloodworks are all fine, but i still can't help but be a bit worried. I know the measuring is highly inaccurate as its a tape measure and the midwifes guess as to where the public bone and top of the uterus is. Do you think it would be reasonable to ask for a growth scan if i'm still measuring large on my next appointment? Can they refuse me one if i do ask?

Weird, I was measuring 3-4 cm over and they booked me in for a growth scan straight away. Turns out I have quite a lot of water and i had to have full GTT.
How many cm over are you?

measuring 2.5-3 cm over the middle line, so not lots, but its just been consistantly large and getting larger! lol

Mine was getting more and at 34 week check they decided to send me for the scan, they keep saying he is a good size baby too, he isnt too large but quite long. Is your husband tall?

Hey,

Im in the same position as you, but I'm 32+4, so 3 days ahead hehe.

I've been measuring3-4cm large the whole way through, at 16 weeks I measured 20 and they sent me for a growth scan and all was fine, baby wasn't overly big.

But I've just moved (about a month ago) to a totally new area, and my new midwife said if I'm still measuring large at my next appointment on the 29th she'll send me for a scan to double check.

I wouldn't worry too much, because like you said, the tape thing is so innaccurate, every midwife meaures differently and the whole fundal height thing is mainly guesswork!

But if you really are worried then mention a growth scan. I don't think they generally send you if you're 2cm over or something, because they normally think it'll level out, but I would have thought they'd have sent you if you've always been over...

xx

no husband is only about 5.6-7 so not tall at all. and i'm about 5 foot 3-4 so we're really not expecting a very long baby :p

I'll wait and see what i'm measuring next time and mention a scan if i'm still big.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back