Maternity pay, tax credits etc

MrsLloyd2B

Reaction score
I'm sorry everyone but i need some advice,

Assuming i concieve soon! lol We are trying to work out our future income (we have got savings as back up) to make sure that we can pay the mortgage and we cant seem to find the exact info...

I'm currently a full time uni student and part time nursery nurse earning £450 a month.
My OH works full time and earns about £1100 a month

my questions:

1. I don't want to go back to work straight after maternity leave, will i be entitle to MP or SMP still? - How much will i get a month?

2. Will my OH get working tax credit? - How much is that roughly a month?

3. Anything else that we will get to help us along?

1. The maximum leave you can take is 12 months. It will depend on your work what you get during that time (I got 3 months full pay, 6 months SMP, 3 months no pay which I can't afford to take) but it's unlikely you'll be entitled to much beyond that unless you leave your job and apply for other forms of support.

2. Have a look at http://www.entitledto.co.uk/. It's based on your combined income and is quite an individual thing so you'll need to do the calculations. If you contact the tax office they can also tell you exactly what you'll get.

3. Child benefit, possibly the sure start maternity grant (which I can't really help on as I wasn't entitled to it). I would contact your university as they often have hardship funds you can apply to and sometimes you can get extra support for being a student with a child.

1. I don't want to go back to work straight after maternity leave, will i be entitle to MP or SMP still? - How much will i get a month?

Maternity allowance and Statutory Maternity Pay are based on previous earnings, you don't pay them back if you don't go back to work. You will be entitled to SMP. It is £118 a week or 90% of your earnings, whichever isthe lowest amount. It is usually worked out based on your income from your employer on weeks 18-25 inclusive, I think.

2. Will my OH get working tax credit? - How much is that roughly a month?
Is £110 before or after tax? If it is before than he might get WTC but if it is after he might not. Check out the stickies in this section for advice on where to find the income thresholds.

3. Anything else that we will get to help us along?[/quote]
You would definitely get child tax credits of at least £20 a week. You also get child benefit of £18 a week. From April pregnant women will get £190 as a one off payment to help with keeping healthy in third tri.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kayx94
Back