Maternity pads?

AngelCookie23

Reaction score
A few silly questions about maternity pads!

When do you start using them?

How many will I need to pack for my hospital bag?

And where's the best place to buy comfortable, affordable ones?

As soon as u've given birth and ul need them till blood loss becomes lighter (about a week in my experience)
avoid the really cheap supermarket 1's,buy boots or mothercares.
Take a full pack to hospital cos u don't know how long ul b in for.
Kotex nighttime towels r about the same as maternity towels aswell xx

Thank you Emmamb :D Are the Boots and Mothercare ones expensive? Damn I bought some cheap ones! If I take a full pack how many would that be? The packs I've seen have about 10 in, would that be enough for hospital? xx

Boots are great?? I get the knickers to so when u getting showered n sorted u can just bin the lot ha, also used there nipple pads love boots, x x

I bought a packet of boots ones for my hospital bag today. They were only £1.15 I think, also if you join the parent club you get 10 points on each pound you spend :)

Superdrug maternity pads are good, and cost about a pound, i would prob take a couple of packets in your hospital bag and stock up and keep the other packets at home, saves the bother of having to go to get them as soon as you get home from hospitalxxx

Mothercare ones are £2.49 for about 12 I think so a bit more pricey! My friend bought me some Tesco ones too but obviously don't know what they're like to compare. xx

Yeah i got the Boots ones i think they were 1.15 for 12 i was suprised they were that cheap. I also bought the disposable knickers too - theres no way im washing bloody knickers!!! x

I bought asdas maternity pads and got on fine with them and some always ultra night time pads and they were great too xxx

I used mine from my waters started leaking and they were troopers! :lol: I used Sainsburys own, they were under a £1 a pack.. I got 3 packs.. The hospital gave me loads too when I was in though xx

Cherelle, I bought 10 pairs of black big knickers to bring in with me, I felt the disposables didn't have enough support and didn't hold the pad in place.. I was wearing 2 pairs of big knickers and 2 pads at a time, I just chucked them after x

I've tried the Tesco and Boots ones an they were fine, boots breast pads were good too. I bought lots of packs of maternity pads as I was changing very often for the first week. They were a god send when my first period arrived too, so I say stock up! My first period was actually much heavier then postpartum bleed as I'd had a c section so make sure you have plenty in. I got caught short on Xmas eve, nightmare when I was out getting my last bits of shopping. I had to run to boots and buy some there and then and change in their loo. I wasn't quick enough and ended up having to get home ASAP. I was mortified!!

The ones in hospital are huuuuuge but good for the first few days so sneak a few in your bag!!

Cherelle, I bought 10 pairs of black big knickers to bring in with me, I felt the disposables didn't have enough support and didn't hold the pad in place.. I was wearing 2 pairs of big knickers and 2 pads at a time, I just chucked them after x

Yeah I've been bought one pack of disposable knickers but don't like the look of them so expect I will just be wearing my old black ones and throwing them all away....then have all nice new ones from M & S :) xx

Last edited:
I've just bought a pack of 5 Tesco maternity pants (disposable) - I just had pants last time, and I can't remember what make of pads I had but I think it was Boots. Thiiiiiink.

I didn't need as many as I'd bought - in fact this time I think I mostly have a variety of night time and thick pads by various makes, as that's what I happen to have from prior probs down there (bled through most of first tri, and occasionally needed something as well as the mooncup).

Urgh, I just made a sandwich and the chicken slives taste disgusting!!! Is it hormones making various things taste like total shit???

I ended up having an emergency c section at short notice so just used the maternity pads provided by the hospital for the first few days whilst I was in the high dependancy unit. When I got into the normal postnatal ward I sent OH to get me always night time pads, these were much more comfortable than the maternity pads and were absorbant enough for my bleeding (which was no where near as heavy as I imagined it would be!)

I used Mothercare ones they were really nice and soft and had wings so would stay in place i used them for abot 5 days after section you can also get one with aloe vera that are lovely and probs would be nice and soothe you down there a bit :) x

Thank you everyone! Gotta stock up on Boots ones then I think! xx

Last edited:
I have got some Boots ones - just 1 pack at the moment to put in my hospital bag.

What I am wondering is how many packs to get? I know that the amount of bleeding will be different for everyone, but what are other people's experiances? How long (roughly) will maternity pads be needed for before you can use the normal pads?

Lol it will be a new expeiance for me - haven't used pads for 8 years, always used tampons for af!

Xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back