maternity leave, when to start it????

BeckyJ

Reaction score
hi ladies

when are you planning on starting your maternity leave or when did you start it?

how many weeks were you?

i wanted to work up until as far as possible, hence my ticker but im nakered now lol

I have a desk job and I need the full pay, so I am hoping to work right until the last minute... As in possibly going into labour at work, but I have no idea whether it will be possible or not. I remember working with a woman who did that and she was fine. My manager (who had nothing to do with her) would always try to get her to leave before she did, though, because she was scared she would sue or something if something happened when there wasn't a manager on the floor. The building had 24 hour security, though, and there were other employees around. I had a weird manager.

I'm going at 29 weeks - the earliest i'm allowed!
I'm off sick for now anyway - and may not make it back to work before week 29 anyway.
I'm going early because my job can be stressful ad i'm up and down on my feet and at a desk all day.
I just feel so tired!
I'm doing some studying at home to stop boredom.
I love the fact i'm leaving as early as possible as it'll give me time to relax, to build my nest! and to have some final me time!

I'm going at 29 weeks too. Can't wait :cheer: Not planning on returning after I have the baby as we will be very comfortble on DH's wage so he told me to take advantage of the time off before I was too big and uncomfortable to enjoy myself. I have loads planned!

If you are already knackered why don't you consider leaving a bit earlier. Do you think you could shuffle things round to give yourself a bit of a break? Sorry to hear your suffering!

ive got a weeks holiday to take before the end of March so will take that end of feb or 1st week in March to give me a break, ive also got a week off the end of April, im tempted to not go back after that though, i'll have to see how i feel i guess :?

I think I'll start maternity leave at about 38 weeks BUT will take my 4 weeks holiday I'll be owed beforehand, so will be off from around 34 weeks...

11 WEEKS AND 2 DAYS :dance: TO GO 11 WEEKS AND 2 DAYS TO GO :dance: 11 WEEKS AND 2 DAYS TO GO :dance: GOOOOOOOOOOOO FAST PLEASE :pray:

I am keeping all my anual leave and using it to butt up agianst my maternity. so i leave on the 25th of April and maternity starts 18th of May
A lovely break before Collier arrives. with lots of this :sleep: and if the weather is kind lots of this 8) Pray for a good spring :pray: and of course lots of obbsessing forum watching.

I wanted to work till i dropped because i need the money and the sooner you go on maternity the quicker your pay drops.
you only get 6 weeks at 90% pay i want all of that to be after the baby is born not before.
I need full pay for a long as possible that why im not using any of may holiday entiltelment untill April.
So i have that time off but still full pay before the baby arrives and then as long as Collier does not come early maternity only starts the week before my due date. Which is 24th of May
Though even if i did drop while on hol pay im still entilteld to the money.

I intend to work until i drop! but then again i only work 16hours a week, and do uni the rest so its not exactly taxing! though i have to admit last weekend all i did was work then sleep as it took so much out of me :( but then again i did have an infection so that may expalin it.
I'll get 6 months maternity leave at 90% of my pay (cos i do so few hours) which to me is great and i intend to take every day of it!!!
Plus if i do drop in work it's only 5 mins walk back to my house and everyone in work will ring the necessary people

I plan on doing the same as Geordie Lass. I will officially start maternity leave around my due date but am saving all my holiday so can finish about 4 weeks before that, around 36 weeks.

i think i'll leave may 8th and take 2 weeks holiday followed straight after by my maternity leave, well thats the plan for the moment :lol:

I was planning on working as long as possible but I'm a teacher and after thinking about how shattered I am already and how stressful the job is I'm going to go at 34 weeks. This is at the half term so it's easier for the school to find cover and it means I'm still with my class to get them through SATs and then a week after to have some fun with them. HR have said that if I feel to knackered though I can go earlier with no notice but hopefully will not have to take that option!

I'm leaving work on 18th April but have some holidays to take before my mat leave starts. Mat leave will start on 1st June or the day my baby is born whichever is the sooner.

I'll be starting my mat leave when i'm 36wks pregnant but having 2 n half wks hol before so i'll be leaving middle of april. :cheer:

keli said:
I'll be starting my mat leave when i'm 36wks pregnant but having 2 n half wks hol before so i'll be leaving middle of april. :cheer:

KELI Just noticed your ticker
A belated :dance: :dance:
congratualtions on reaching 24 weeks
SOZ i didnt notice before :oops:

I forgot to mention that I took my job the day before I found out I was 8 weeks pregnant, so I don't get maternity leave. Also, I don't get holiday or sick pay because I get a higher wage in lieu... I didn't know this until I got my contract two days after I started. :/ So I really have to work until the last minute if possible.

Oh yeah and my contract is only until April. At the beginning I was told this was just an HR thing and that I could extend it and go full time in the summer (I am also a student), but when I tell my manager I am pregnant (tomorrow), I am sure I will be finding out I am not staying past April. I'm scared! We are going to have no money for the baby!

I'm leaving on Saturday at 29 weeks (though it's officially 30 cos of half term) yay :cheer:

I originally planned to work til Easter but I'm on my feet teaching all day, and school have been distinctly unsympathetic with most things. I passed out at work yesterday so I know I've made the right decision.

Stuff the money, I'm knackered!!!

debecca said:
I'm leaving on Saturday at 29 weeks (though it's officially 30 cos of half term) yay :cheer:

I originally planned to work til Easter but I'm on my feet teaching all day, and school have been distinctly unsympathetic with most things. I passed out at work yesterday so I know I've made the right decision.

Stuff the money, I'm knackered!!!
You passed out :shock: Are you alright now??? :(
You have defnelty made the right decision hon
i know working with kids myself how on the ball you have to be all the time it can be very exhausting.
Get some rest and enjoy your hols
NO MORE FAINTING :shakehead:
Lol SARAH :hug: :hug: :hug:

moss said:
I forgot to mention that I took my job the day before I found out I was 8 weeks pregnant, so I don't get maternity leave. Also, I don't get holiday or sick pay because I get a higher wage in lieu... I didn't know this until I got my contract two days after I started. :/ So I really have to work until the last minute if possible.

Oh yeah and my contract is only until April. At the beginning I was told this was just an HR thing and that I could extend it and go full time in the summer (I am also a student), but when I tell my manager I am pregnant (tomorrow), I am sure I will be finding out I am not staying past April. I'm scared! We are going to have no money for the baby!

While you won't get paid you're still entitled to a year off.

I'm starting mine at 36 and a bit weeks because I'm already losing enough holidays as it is!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back