When are you starting your maternity leave?

xkikix

Reaction score
I've just been told by HR at work that I need to let them know by next week (25) when I intend to start my maternity leave. The thing is that I dont have a clue!! My job isnt particually demanding (IT helpdesk - IT queries over the phone), and ok hours 9-5, so i'd like to leave it as long as possible if i can.

When are you all planning on taking yours? Would 37 weeks be too late?

im starting mine monday 4th feb and im due 25th feb so 21 days before which is exactly 37 weeks preg.

if your not too tired work til then if not you can still change the date yove given them as long as you give them a little notice. enjoy it when you do go x

I leave work on 23rd April and I will be 36+3 but my maternity leave doesnt start till 8th May as I have some holidays to take. Im due on 21st May.

If you prefer to work longer then thats entirely your decision and so long as you feel you can then I would say go for it. I used to work with a girl who worked right up till the end of her 38th week, the day she left for maternity her waters broke on the train going home!

I'm starting mine on 14th March when I'll be 34 weeks.

I think I could realistically stretch to 36 weeks but I'm lazy and hate my job. I work in a supermarket so there's a lot of sitting or standing for long periods, and stretching. I'm finding I get backache and pelvic pain already when I've been at work for a few hours. I only work 3 days a week though so it's not too bad.

Also, the first week of my maternity is James' first week of half term (he has 3 weeks off). It will be nice to spend 3 weeks with him with no work or school rather than having to put him in the holiday club.

If I worked in an office I think I could stay a bit later as in that environment it's easier to take it easier and move about, and take breaks when you need to.

Looking forward to having a chance to get the house in order, and then relax and spend time with James before the chaos of a newborn starts!

I don't see why you couldn't stay till 37 weeks if you're feeling ok. You can change the date as long as you give 28 days notice. If your baby arrives early your maternity leave would start automatically.

im hoping to start mine around the 36-37 week mark so that i can have more time off after

Im leaving at 33 weeks only because i have holiday to take that i will lose inless i use it otherwise i would wait till about 35 weeks.

I work in an office and have cut my hours down since going back after christmas, I now only do 9-3pm mon-fri and plan to leave around 10th April when I will be 38 weeks, providing the baby hasn't already arrived!!! Hopefully that will give me a few weeks at home with some peace and quite.

i found out 2day that i have a week i have to take before 31st March :D so im going to have that the last week of Feb, then we have a week away booked for the 2nd week in April so at least i have a couple of weeks rest in between now and my mat leave :dance:

I'm leaving at 30 weeks :cheer: basically as early as possible but then I don't think I'm going back so I may as well go as early as possible.

I am on my feet all day teaching too so it's just not going to work really later on...

Im 28 weeks and have 3 weeks holiday booked from this Friday and then my Maternity leave starts straight after on 4th Feb :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

Im not planning on going back to work so I didnt need to save up my maternity leave to spend with the baby :cheer:

I'm leaving at 28 weeks. The earliest I can leave is week 29 but I also have a weeks holiday owed. I am nt planning on going back so am going to enjoy a bit of time off before the baby comes. What a dosser! :dance:

I have just sorted this out today

I don't get maternity pay so I am working as close to as I can.

I am finishing on the 4th April as we have 2 weeks easter holidays then I am due 2 weeks after that. If we didn't have the holidays then I would be working until 2 weeks before. But I get paid for the holidays so that good. I will be 36 weeks when I leave. Not sure how I will handle it (teacher too) but it means that I have less to make up for the rest of my probation year.

So I finish a month before my due date. Its nice to have a date now.

Becs & Christina - we can be ladies of leisure together and clog up the Tri 3 forum with pointless posts all day :cheer:

Hi Im starting mine last day of May and im due 19th June.

My boss told me to write a letter and to make sure i write
"I INTEND to finish on such a date"
Therefore you can finish earlier if you feel you get tired etc...

she said if you put i WILL finish on such a date, they will hold you to it!

Dont know if thats just our place, but ill deffinatly be putting INTEND on my letter!!

How did you guys go about wording your letter? Is there anything we have to include or a proper way of wording it? I want to leave asap so I figure I should let them know soon too. I get my MAT1B on the 22nd so maybe I can write once i have that?
I'm hoping (hoping sounds wrong but I don't know what else to use) to be off sick (with stress) until maternity leave anyway.

I am leaving for maternity when i am 37 weeks. Hopefully i can manage till then with my SPD. I found it difficult to say a time to start maternity leave so i am just going with that at the moment.
If i feel i am not managing i will discuss it with my employers.

30th of April
though this could change to the 29th as we have a trainging day i could go to and tag on that day to the start of my hols Maternity starts the 18th i finish earlier as im taking all my hols in one go to have more maternity when babies born. Cant wait for the rest before my little one arrives! :D

I'm finishing on March 7th- I'll be 36 +2 I think. I wanted some time before baby to rest and relax but not too much- I get bored in my own company if I don;t have lots to do!

I wrote letter to my employer just stating the EDD and expected date to start maternity leave- simple and straight forward!

BabyBee said:
How did you guys go about wording your letter? Is there anything we have to include or a proper way of wording it? I want to leave asap so I figure I should let them know soon too. I get my MAT1B on the 22nd so maybe I can write once i have that?
I'm hoping (hoping sounds wrong but I don't know what else to use) to be off sick (with stress) until maternity leave anyway.

I used a template from my union guidebook....it is stark but to the point...

Dear .......

This letter is to notify you of my pregnancy. My expected date of childbirth is ............ I will forward to you, as soon as possible, a medical statement from my doctor which confirms that date. (or say it is enclosed if you have it)

It is my intention to exercise, at the conclusion of my absence for maternity, my right to return to my present teaching post. *However, I must inform you that I do intend to resign my position after the safe arrival of my child.* (I had to state that so that I wouldn't recieve my 3 months at half pay)

I intend to commence maternity leave on ........... and I would like my maternity pay, statutory and contractual, to start on that date.

I will give you at least 28 days notice of any change to this date.

Yours Sincerely

I am leaving work in 2 weeks and 2 days! Yey! I decided to leave as early as possible as teaching is fun but highly stressful at times.

Thanks SO much for the template. Do I need to say whether or not i'm going back? I havent had a copy of the company maternity policy, despite me asking, and my handbook says ask HR for info.
I don't think i'll go back but i'm not 100% sure. Should i say that??

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back