Maternity clothes?

buddabun

Reaction score
I know this is very early but I am so bloated and fat at the moment that only a handful of my clothes fit me :oops:

I was wondering how on earth people go about picking out maternity clothes. As in, how do you know how much of something to get, tops, skirts, jeans etc. I have the bonus of not needing any jumpers or coats and I only want one pair of jeans but the rest? It's like picking out a whole new wardrobe.

I have to do it all by internet as we only have mothercare over here and they don't sell much (although they have an ace top saying "Does my bump look big in this?" which I am SO getting when I can!!!) but it's so hard to know what I'll need and how much of it?

Any tips?

I think, based on the advice I got at your stage, that it's a bit too early to buy maternity clothes. I just bought a few things that were stretchy and a size bigger (raided George at ASDA).

I'm not planning to buy any yet but I'll need to order in a couple of months if I want to get any sort of use out of them (the BFPO system is slooooow) and I just wondered how on earth you chose what and how much to get!

I am living in my tracksuit like a skank at the mo :)

Oooops sorry -misunderstood. :doh:

Until you have a proper big bump (when you get your'does my bump look big in this tshirt!) you can get away with ordinary tops normally, so why not just invest in a couple of pairs of trousers (inc. a pair of jeans)?

I have been on a website for maternity clothes and ordered some tops from the sale because my trousers still fit me for now but my tops keep riding up :think: . But if you can get away with it just buy bigger clothes unless they are unusually baggy anywhere else :lol:

ETA: Just buy stuff you would usually go for, maternity do quite a few styles too. They don't just do jeans they also do some nice comfy combats ( I lived in them with my daughter ). Just buy a few different outfits because you may still need them after you have had baby.

I am getting a wee bit fatter and finding solace in some of my work tops which are made out of stretchier material

I'm just not a big fan of the lycra that really shows off the bump. I'd rather have the empire line camisole types really.

I will look into getting a nice pair of jeans for evenings and some linen/combat types for daytime. Skirts are pretty much ok as long as they're low slung right? I could just get away with a larger size non-maternity?

That bloating you mention will go down soon, I had it bad but then it just disappears, so I wouldnt jump straight into a maternity shop just yet. I'm just wearing most of my normal tops, a couple of joging pants I already had and some pants I bought in 2 sizes up with elastic waists - things i could really just wear again.
My biggest tip wiouyld be though go to Primark and look for the long stretch vests they sell for £1 cos they are great at covering a bump and long enough to hide unfastened pants.

Im exactly the same!!!!I tend to wear jogging bottoms at the weekend and evenings but i have to confess i had to go and buy a pair of maternity trousers for work at the weekend as mine where just getting so tight and uncomftable!!!But the only ones i could find to fit properly was in new look BLOODY £20!!!!!! :x

i bought a maternity shirt but fits me just now as i am a large lady anyway but it is stretchy so will do when i get a bit bigger. it was only 11 pounds. i also bought a pair of pjamas coz they were cheap and they are both maternity and nursing!!

They have cut out nipple slits :rotfl:

I've been thinking about investing in a pair of maternity jeans soon. Most of the women in my family showed very early, I have one pair of large jeans that just about fit. I've seen some jeans for a little bump....can't remember where though :think: I hate this forgetfulness!

xx

Sadly I can't just nip into Primark as I live abroad (see above) but *sigh* I do miss it. And Matalan...

I bough a few tops that were sort of empire line and a bit baggy before I came over here (planning ahead ;)) so let's hope they'll do for a lot of the pregnancy...

I just don't want to be left with loads of stuff in the mail and literally nothing to wear.

Good to hear the bloat subsides though - I feel really awful at the mo cos i am so podgy :(

It does go down Buddabun! I was totally freaking out as all my maternity clothes from last time are in my mums garage and she is in Miami! I was soo huge and bloated i had one pair of trousers that fitted me and one skirt! but today i woke up and its soo much better, so hang on in there! maybe just buy a few things in a slightly bigger size til the bump kicks in!

You can buy special fastners (cant remember what they are called (preggo brain!) and they attach to your normal trousers and make them a bit bigger at the front, they are really good for early ickle bump stage! and cheaper!

aww ace. that's loads better than a string of paperclips (which was my plan :oops:)

I will look them up. Thanks :D

i never wore maternity clothes last time. just wore my pants and skirts underneath my bump and bought a few size 18 tops instead of size 6 :lol:

was easy last time coz i was hugeee in summer so could get lots of cheap floaty little (well, big!) tops from primark.

only bought one maternity dress which i never wore coz it was too hot! its thin(ish) cotton but kinda heavy (if that makes sense) and its dark coloured and long-sleeved. too hot for june :talkhand: but iv still got it, and this time it should be perfect for september! :cheer:

you're so sweet trix, i'm chuffed for you adn you're CLEARLY excited!!

What does the o/h make of it all?

oh i dont think he's very interested in my maternity wear! i know he cant wait for me to sprout DD's again tho :lol:

as others have said, the bloating subsides. I was definitely bigger at around 6-7 weeks than I am now, and seriously considered getting maternity wear then. Now, you can't tell I'm pregnant. Well, I can, DH can, and my mother can, but that's about it. I was a size 8 pre-pregnancy - at 15w, I'm now a 10, and have put on precisely 500g. I went to Monsoon and bought a few clothes in their sale - a couple of smock-type tops, an empire-line dress, and a knitted skirt with an elasticated waist - all in a dress size 1 bigger than usual. I figure they'll be wearable post-pregnancy too. I'm still wearing pre-pg jeans (though I did have a dodgy few days around the 6w mark when I had to undo them by late afternoon!), but I have ordered some maternity jeans. I think I will need them in a couple of weeks' time, but not before.

I have a couple of empire-line and wrap jersey dresses anyway, and they have been perfect, even in size 8 - but I am just starting to grow out of them. I don't have a bump, but my waist has thickened to the point it's vanished. I took a pic a couple of days ago to post elsewhere on here - you'll see what I mean about not looking pg:

IMG_1710.jpg

If you can find anything left in the sales, you could stock up on a few basics -you may be able to get some of last summer's clothes, for example. I bought a summer dress from JoJoMamanBebe for £10 - by the time I have a proper bump, it'll be summer anyway! But tbh, if there isn't anything left, you'd be best off waiting for a bit, as by the time you actually fit 'real' maternity clothes, chances are it'll be spring/summer (the mat tops all have a 'pouch' which you really need a decent bump to fill, and the dresses are all longer at the front so that the hem is straight when you have a bump). Until then, go for the looser styles like peasant/smock/tunic type tops, or wrap dresses in stretchy jersey material a size bigger than usual, or the wrap tie skirts, if you can find any. Jeans will probably be the first maternity item you really need, since most non-mat jeans are pretty unforgiving. And as others have said, a cheap pair of trackie bottoms for slobbing out at home will do for evenings/weekends.

Oh - and you'll need to sort out your underwear drawer! You will need non-underwired bras soon, for comfort as much as anything else (later so that you don't damage the ligaments or something - there's a medical reason, anyway!!!) - but don't buy too many. Around 10-12 weeks, you'll prob need a different size, and apparently again around 20-24 weeks (so the fitter told me!). And you may want to buy some bikini-style knickers in a size or 2 bigger than usual - I bought some M&S ones in size 12 - because I really couldn't bear elastic round my middle. UTIs are more common in pregnancy, so unless you're a die-hard fan, it's sensible to avoid G-strings/thongs and to go for cotton underwear, or at least cotton gussets.

gosh, this has turned into an epic. Sorry!

Smock tops are amazing you will live in them.
Also jogging bottoms for around the house and i cant ephasize enough, over the bump jeans and trousers, they are so much more comfy, in under bump jeans all i did was show builders bum and pull them up constantly

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back