Male Midwife?

suzzi

Reaction score
Has anyone ever had a male MW and if you were in labour would you be fine having a male MW at your nether regions.

Im not sure i could, its embarrasing enough having a women seeing my bits but the thought of a man, i would be mortified, i know when your in pain and ready to give birth all that would go out the window but its before hand when they check how dilated you are etc, (when your mind is still your own) lol

just wondered how others feel or how your OH would feel

I don't have any experience with regards to midwives, but my consultant is a man. I had ovarian drilling back in december which meant internal scans and all the rest of it. He had a job to do and I let him get on with it. When I had the actual drilling, the consultant was a man, the anaethatist was a man, the anaethatist's assistant was a man, there was a male student in there - and about 2 women! :faint: as I fell to sleep with my legs in stirrups all I saw was a gang of blokes stood at my foo-end!! Dignity was gone, but was a neccessary evil :oooo: What I am trying to say is that you will deal perfectly with whatever happens. As for my O/h he was just glad that someone could help me :) x

I haven't had a male midwife but I've had males doctors come in and take a look I can really say I couldn't care less who was there, I can't believe I stressed so much before hand about ppl seeing my bits, when your there and in pain you really won't care xxxx

Doesn't bother me. They are doing a job and have seen lots before!
As long as they got her out, i think would be happy for the entire welsh rugby team to fiddle about down there right now!

I know how you feel suzzi, I'm just about ok with a woman being there but a man?? I dunno. I know I wont care when it comes down to it but just the thought of it. I had a bleed when I was 20 weeks and I had a male examine me down there and I was so tense and kept shaking - think that was more the situation rather than the fact a male was down there but it still made me feel uncomfortable. OH isn't bothered as long as me and baby are ok. xx

At the end of the day it will be about mine and LO's safety so I probably wont care but I would prefer no men or women down there. I dont think its possible though.
I think I would mind male consultants less than a male midwife

I have no experience of midwives but I have had two lots of surgery down there and all the pre and post checks and the surgery itself was done by a man. I was a bit embarrassed at first but I then thought, mine wont be the first and it wont be the last- it's just his job.

Don't know if this helps any.

XX

I would not care less. They are professionals after all. In fact sometimes I feel that women are like "get on with it" and men can be a bit more considerate....

I didn't have a male MW but had a male consultant with me through my birth, and yeah he was down/in there having a nosey, felt a little bit strange but tbh I was beyond caring by this point, i would have ran down the street naked with baby hanging out if it meant getting it out ok.

OH wasn't best pleased about it though but I couldn't care less about that either loool

:oooo:

I would prefer not to have a male midwife. But when i was in labour with my first child just before i was about to push a male dr came for a look. During labour i don't care who's looking but as far as examunations etc i would prefer a female.

Doesn't bother me at all, had one with my 2nd baby and I found him to be a lot nicer than most of the women ones!

It wouldn't bother me at all, in all honesty i'd rather no-one looked up there :lol: My OH always comes to appointments where there might be something along those lines with me anyway, so its not like i have anything to worry about. I figure that a male midwife/dr etc is so used to looking at women's bits that its a kinda "seen 1 seen them all" situation!

My OH made a face when i asked about it but said he doesn't know whether he'd mind or not - i'm guessing he prob would object to it

When in labour I honestly wouldn't have cared, if he was making sure my baby would be delivered safely then he could do whatever he needed to do, the best advice my mum gave me was to leave my dignity at the door going into the hospital and pick it up on the way back out lol x

Edit: I only had one female MW in with me, didn't need anyone else, but I did have quite a few male doctors for internal scans x

Last edited:
I hadn't really given this much thought... I don't think I'd mind... I'd rather now have anyone looking down there at all, but might be a bit difficult haha! I don't think they'd be down there having a casual look, they'd be doing their job, so I wouldn't really be that bothered!

Don't think I could say the same for OH though, he'd probably kick off bigtime! He's very old fashioned about "women's jobs and men's jobs" and he's convinced every man in the world would want to try it on with me! As if! So I don't think he'd be best pleased with a man being down there!

xx

I hadn't really given this much thought... I don't think I'd mind... I'd rather now have anyone looking down there at all, but might be a bit difficult haha! I don't think they'd be down there having a casual look, they'd be doing their job, so I wouldn't really be that bothered!

Don't think I could say the same for OH though, he'd probably kick off bigtime! He's very old fashioned about "women's jobs and men's jobs" and he's convinced every man in the world would want to try it on with me! As if! So I don't think he'd be best pleased with a man being down there!

xx
I think its probably best if he is not in the room when you are examined. Mine said he wouldnt mind as they are doctors but we will see

I think its probably best if he is not in the room when you are examined. Mine said he wouldnt mind as they are doctors but we will see

Yeah, probably a good idea, I'm going to speak to him about it. I think he'd just be there giving the poor guy evils!

xx

I've been having the same conversation with my friends. At the birthing centre two out of the six midwives are male and they are both young, Spanish and pretty cute!! When I met them last week i thought i wouldn't mind, but then when my midwife called in sick today and I was going in for a sweep i found myself hoping it wasn't one of them!

I think on the day I will be relieved if there is both a male and female midwife as I think men and women have different qualities and can bring a balance and also I wont care less who's looking at my whohar :)

I've been having the same conversation with my friends. At the birthing centre two out of the six midwives are male and they are both young, Spanish and pretty cute!!

HAHAHA my OH would be going mental if I was in that position! Especially young and Spanish! I lived in spain for 5 years, and with OH being almost 28, he'd hate it if they were younger than him and closer to my age! That would be so funny!

Pretty sure it's all women at my birthing centre, I'm going to ask my MW on Monday actually I think, now I've got to thinking about it

xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back