male nursery workers!

mary70 said:
i went mad i shouted and ranted and asked y he went and did he know what could happen and he turned round and said but she was a WOMAN mum i was mortified.

When i was little i was always told about 'the nasty men' it was never a women. I got lost in meadowhall when i was about 5 and couldnt find my mum. A women came up to me and picked me up and started walking towards the doors and said 'whats your name? im going to find your mummy for you'. My mum noticed me and ran to her and said i was hers and she let me go and gave the whole 'we were trying to find you' speech. If my mum didnt see her i would have probably been taken away!! My mum thought she really was helping, if it had been a man she would have gone crazy!! I didnt think anything of it at the time but now i know she wasnt really helping. Its so horrible but you cant really trust any one these days regardless of what sex they are :(

Thats scary Jenna! I always tell James that if he gets lost to find somebody, male or female, who has kids with them for help. I'd like to think that a parent would not be a threat! Obviously there are eveil parents too, but it would be less likely I think.

anyone i didn't know well who changed my babies nappy would make me feel uneasy.

muppetmummy said:
Thats scary Jenna! I always tell James that if he gets lost to find somebody, male or female, who has kids with them for help. I'd like to think that a parent would not be a threat! Obviously there are eveil parents too, but it would be less likely I think.

You would hope so wouldn't you. I remamber my mom always used to tell me to find someone in uniform if I was lost, so at the grand old age of thee, I was lost in Solihull and went marching up to a woman collecting for the salvation army and told her my name, address, phone number, the names of my parents and my nans phone number too!!
Mom did have me prepared for anything!!!!!!

Urchin said:
The creche I have worked in for 4 years has male and female staff.
2 of the men that have worked there are gay and a couple of parents asked that they not change a their childs nappy and we refused.
Why does a being a man, or a gay man automatically make you a child molester?
the blokes I work with are fantastic with the kids, so funny and a lot more interactive with the kids than some of the girls.
Anyone, either male or female working with kids will be around other adults most of the time and any hint of wrong doing, would be immediatly picked up on.

The thing we need to remember is our children are in a lot more "dangerous" situations than being in a nursery with a male member of staff. What about when they are swimming, in the changing rooms? or in a shop, or when a man comes to do work on the house etc. these are the things we need to be most vigilant about, not people who are already police checked etc.
I'm not saying it's wrong to consider these things, but there are alot worse things out there IMHO.

i agree with what ur saying

No one can look after your children the way you do, not even your mum.

Just my opinion.

I wouldnt have a problem with it tbh, I'd trust a man to look after my kids the way I would a woman.

I know it's not the same as a man looking after your kids but when I was in labour having Nathan there was a male midwife in the hospital and I was a bit of a bitch to him at 1st but he was lovely. The women midwifes just let me to get on with it and made me look like I was exaggerating (sp?) :roll: about the pain but he came to talk to me, made sure I was ok ect he was alot better in my opinion than the women.

kitty86 said:
No one can look after your children the way you do, not even your mum.

Just my opinion.

mmmm i was going to say agreed but i don't wholey agree with that.
i would say no one can LOVE your children the way you do.

As much as I hate to say it I think the staff at James nursery look after him a lot better than me because I haven't spent 3 years gaining a Bed in Early childhood studies. They have bought along his development in maths and english much better than I ever could.
I really think he has got a lot out of going to nursery, academically and socially.

Many years ago, my brother qulaified as a nursery nurse and worked for a few years in a local christian centre nursery...he eventually gave up due to ever increasing pressures he felt by being a male nursery nurse. He wasnt allowed to change nappies on his own, and was always passed over for promotions which went to females. He is one of the kindest, sweetest men I know (I know he is my brother but he really is) and he now has two little girls of his own who are his world, he is so good with them.

He has such a way with kids, a natural and people I have spoken to since he quit have had nothing but praise and admiration for him, their kids went to the nursery and they said the kids would always talk about Ian, and were very fond of him.

He now works caring for old people.

When I read the post I thought for a second.. hmm..

But then I thought well why should it make a difference. I know my OH is gonna be way more natural with ours than I am cos he's had younger siblings to look after before, and I don't see why a guy couldn't do the job in a nursery. Perhaps if the child in the nursery is a little boy, or as someone else said maybe they don't have a male role model around much, then it could be beneficial to have a guy at the nursery.

It would look sort of out-of-place but when you sit and think about it, there's no reason why guys couldn't do a good job of it.

I wouldn't have a problem with it at all. As others have said, he would be CRB checked and women can be just as bad.

Having said that, I want to avoid sending my child to a nursery very early on if I can possibly do so, as I don't like the idea of someone else bringing up my child (we're hoping to move in order to facilitate this).

My main reason I wouldn’t want a man changing my Daughters dirty nappies is because I don’t want her to ever think that its ok fir a man to do that other then her dad and he rarely does any way.

And I don’t want that barrier being broken - I want Dior to grow up thinking that if she is uncomfortable with some thing then for her to not have to do it, I know she is not upset by women changing her but she would be about men.

I know that woman can be as bad but it’s more rare.

imp not sure how the nursery will react when I explain how I feel.
I think I might just tell the nursery that Dior is very wary of men (which she is) so it will more then likely upset her. And I hope they just click on to what I mean.

But I do think having men in the nursery is a great idea, but not for nappy changing girls,
When my OH has to change one of Dior’s bad poops he asks me to take over for fear of hurting her, where as its not so tactful changing boys

I was going to say I think there should be rules that say men can work in nurseries but shouldnt be allowed to change girls nappies, but then I thought of women changing boys nappies and people dont seem bothered by that.

Im still on the fence with this one.

x-kirsty-x said:
I was going to say I think there should be rules that say men can work in nurseries but shouldnt be allowed to change girls nappies, but then I thought of women changing boys nappies and people dont seem bothered by that.

i think with boys its easier to change though you just wipe over them its nothing to involved if you know what i mean, most of the time its just a wipe over with girls but some times its more, thats where it makes me feel uncomfortable

dionne said:
x-kirsty-x said:

i think with boys its easier to change though you just wipe over them its nothing to involved if you know what i mean, most of the time its just a wipe over with girls but some times its more, thats where it makes me feel uncomfortable

Yeah I know what you mean about changing girls. What I meant was you couldnt exactly make a rule saying men cant change girls without also making a rule saying women cant change boys cos it would just be seen as sexist.

Even though I've got 2 boys I think Id feel exactly the same as you if I had a girl, I wouldnt be comfortable with it at all.

dionne said:
x-kirsty-x said:

to be honest I think any nursery worker would not clean them too much in these circumstances, whether male or female.

we had a little boy in once and his fingernail was a bit broken and hanging off (not bleeding) but we wouldn't pull it off in case we hurt him and got accused of something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back