My Midwife is going to be a man!

claire671

Reaction score
Just had to share as I wondered your thoughts on this. I arranged my midwife appointment today (which is blooming AGES away, well March, but feels forever away) and the woman on the phone said "Your midwife is a male called David are you ok with this?" I think I am totally fine with it, in a way I'm quite looking forward to seeing how it's going to be.

Do any other ladies here have a male midwife? Or had one in the past? xx

That's pretty cool, does this mean you have a Midhusband instead?? :D

Love that! Will definitely use that when writing my appointments on the calender! x

Last edited:
That's pretty cool, does this mean you have a Midhusband instead?? :D

Pmsl!!!!!!

I remember reading that less than 20% of midwives across the whole of the UK are males.
I'm not sure how I'd feel about it, I had a male sonographer at my 12wk scan and that weirded me out lol.
But I'd probably get used to it. He knows his job as much as any woman would I'm sure! :) x

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

I think I would love that....not to hit on him lol sometimes other women find it hard to be nice to other women. Thankfully my midwife is lovely and motherly so no problem there but I have heard some horror stories x

Sounds cool! Like Tara said, sometimes women aren't great with women. You'll have to let us know what midhusband David is like!

woow thats intresting let us know how it goes

I think that's pretty cool. Would love to hear how you get on xxx

I don't know if I would be that bothered , but my oh the other day on seeing a man on obem declared that he wants to be the only man at my delivery, so hoping now that I don't get a midhusband as worried oh will cause a scene :-s

Will definitely let you know how it goes! Didn't realise there were so few Midhusbands out there! My OH is a bit weirded out by it though (he is also called David funnily enough) and has insisted on being present at all my appointments, so cute! xx

Not exactly the same but I have a male gynecologist and a female one lol, I think I prefer the male better for some reason ( I don't have a mw, I chose a gynecologist) it seems more professional to me? Anyway both of them are my friends and colleagues andi knew them before getting pregnant so maybe it's not exactly the same but I wouldn't worry in your place :)

Last edited:
I'm really surprising myself here but I don't think I'd be comfortable. I'm not entirely sure why but I think I'd want a female. I work in a hospital with lots of males who are wonderful but I think I would be too self conscious xx

Never had male mid wife but had a male gyne in the past, so that would be fine :)

It's good that you were asked how you felt too, I hope it goes well with midhubby! Xx

Funny thing is I had a female midwife check me throughout pregnancy and when I was in labour, and Owen decided to cause a few problems the amount of men that saw my foof was shocking lol!! But I didn't care!!

Ooh that is interesting! I reckon he will actually be really good, to have had to survive in a profession that is mostly women he must really like his job and be good at it.

In the past I would have thought 'oh no I would only want a woman', but I had a male gynae consultant perform some treatment in, erm, 'that area' a few weeks ago. At first I was mortified that it was a man but he was absolutely brilliant and really synpathetic! So now I think male or female doesn't matter, as long as they are good at their job x

The word 'Midwife' actually means 'with women' so male or female they are still called 'midwives'.

I have worked with a couple of male midwives and any woman they look after always really love them. I guess in labour they can be much more impartial to what you are going through......a bit like a midwife thats never had children!!!

I'd be fine with usual check up and scans, but for them to be in the delivery room with me, I dont think I'd be terribly comfortable with. Which is rediculous of me I suppose, when I'm pro womens equality.

Perhaps I'm just old fashioned as I think it would be tough for me to show another man my foof and I'm not sure my DH would be comfortable with it either.

I have absolutley no doubt that male midwifes could do the job as well as any female. Perhaps I've just got out dated ideas.

I'd be interested to hear how you get on
xx

again not many of them out there but im sure he will be great.
Keep us updated x

i dont think i would be that fussed, my doctors are male, my consultant is male and they are fabulous, if they have to do anything down there they will always say do u want me to get a nurse to do it etc but i have no problem as they know best so let them get on with it, but they will always make sure a female is present to cover there backs anyhow!! there was a male doctor present at my last birth who stitched me up afterwards and he was really nice and OH doesnt have a problem he sees as whats best for me and baby!!

i think it would be quite cool to have a Midhusband hope you get ok :) xx

As long as he's good at taking blood I'm happy! Probably will be a little odd when it gets to the stage he has to look 'down there' but I suppose he'll have seen a million of them..

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back