Making up bottles - your way

Thanks for this thread, I've been making up fresh bottles each time during the day, and using ready-made at night. I thought the powder needed to be added to boiled, hot water to kill any bugs in it, but I am really confused about how far in advance I can make up the formula - I'll ask our midwife today. I know I'm being extra cautious because Seb was preemie, but letting him fuss and scream for 30 mins can't be good for him either. We hadn't budgeted for formula as I planned to breastfeed, so if I can get the hang of safely using powder, that would be great!

Re steralising bottles, I have a steam steriliser, and it says it only remains sterile until opened. Can I take out the sterile bottles and keep them in a steralised, sealed tupperware until needed?

Carrie

If you take the bottles out of the steriliser and put them together they will stay sterile :) x

We used to boil the water in the kettle wait for 30 mins and pour it into a thermal flask so that it was still at the right temperature for when S needed her bottle. Was the easiest way for us and the safest way for her :)

Okay, I'm going to try and relax a bit about steralising and just do it in batches. Midwife said I absolutely must make up fresh feeds each time though as he is so small, so I've made a chart for the next few days to see how long he goes between feeds so I can try and stay a step ahead, and I'm going to get a good supply of ready-made in for overnights / times I boil the kettle too late!

Carrie

Thanks for this thread, I've been making up fresh bottles each time during the day, and using ready-made at night. I thought the powder needed to be added to boiled, hot water to kill any bugs in it, but I am really confused about how far in advance I can make up the formula - I'll ask our midwife today. I know I'm being extra cautious because Seb was preemie, but letting him fuss and scream for 30 mins can't be good for him either. We hadn't budgeted for formula as I planned to breastfeed, so if I can get the hang of safely using powder, that would be great!

Re steralising bottles, I have a steam steriliser, and it says it only remains sterile until opened. Can I take out the sterile bottles and keep them in a steralised, sealed tupperware until needed?

Carrie

You are right, the water needs to be above a certain temperture to kill bacteria in the powder. However you dont need to leave the boiled water to cool for half an hour, you just cant let it cool for longer than that, iykwim.
I make bottles as I need them and to be honest now that my lo is in a bit of a routine its not too bad as I can estimate the time she is going to need a feed.
We use the ready made bottles for night feeds though.

Hmmmm this is a really interesting thread as I have been making bottles for last two weeks the way my dh told me to
Didn't Consider if it was the right way!
I sterilise the bottles then boil the kettle add the water to the bottles and then store in the fridge until the next feed when I add the powder and warm in a jug of water . Is this ok?
I only keep the water in fridge for a max of 12 hours and only add powder as I use feed.
Xx

Hmmmm this is a really interesting thread as I have been making bottles for last two weeks the way my dh told me to
Didn't Consider if it was the right way!
I sterilise the bottles then boil the kettle add the water to the bottles and then store in the fridge until the next feed when I add the powder and warm in a jug of water . Is this ok?
I only keep the water in fridge for a max of 12 hours and only add powder as I use feed.
Xx

This is the way the reflux formula is made up, but it's not recommended for normal formula. TBH though I think they're over-cautious. This is how SMA is prepared: http://www.smanutrition.co.uk/sma-products/first-infant-milk/first-infant-milk/preparing-604.aspx?catid=21&accepted=true xx

I used to sterilise all his bottles at once (6), and then store and heat on demand. Never caused him any harm as long as bottles were clean and sterile.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back