Making room temp formula?

T84

Reaction score
What's the best way of doing this? S takes bm at room temp or out fridge with cold taken off. Done sites say to add powder to boiling water only but my understanding is you would have to drink right away. Can I let the boiling water cool at room temp or fridge then add powder as and when needed? Thanks, I'm clueless!! X x

You're not supposed to, but it's how I make formula and a lot of people I know. Also if you read the world health organisation guidelines on formula, it's okay to do that as long as the formula is consumed straight away. Xxx

Hmm the world health organisation says formula needs to be at 70 degrees to kill any bacteria. Which is roughly boiled water left to cool for 30mins.

We use a flask. Just boil a kettle, leave to cool for 30mins then pour it into a flask. When you need a bottle you have water at the perfect temperature. Then just stick the bottle in a jug of cold water for 2mins to get it to drinking temperature. Safe, quick and easy!
X

Hmm the world health organisation says formula needs to be at 70 degrees to kill any bacteria. Which is roughly boiled water left to cool for 30mins.

We use a flask. Just boil a kettle, leave to cool for 30mins then pour it into a flask. When you need a bottle you have water at the perfect temperature. Then just stick the bottle in a jug of cold water for 2mins to get it to drinking temperature. Safe, quick and easy!
X

Read the section if you don't have acess to boiling water.

http://www.who.int/foodsafety/publications/micro/PIF_Bottle_en.pdf

Pippacar855537 said:

X

I have no idea why anybody would risk that..... As it says formula contains bacteria and the safest way to prepare bottles is to add formula to water no cooler than 70 degrees.
Its not like its time consuming or difficult so personally I cannot see why people pre-make bottle. Not worth the risk

Pippacar855537 said:

X

I have no idea why anybody would risk that..... As it says formula contains bacteria and the safest way to prepare bottles is to add formula to water no cooler than 70 degrees.
Its not like its time consuming or difficult so personally I cannot see why people pre-make bottle. Not worth the risk

If you read the section I was explaining, you'd see it has nothing to do with 'pre making' bottles. I haven't even mentioned that.

Also if you had done your research you'd know that the only reason they changed the guidelines was because a woman in France fed her premature baby milk that had been stored in the fridge for a week, the baby got a horrific stomach infection and passed away.

Which is extremely sad, but no one has ever been told it's fine to make up milk like that.

So really the 'risk' as you put it, is not there if made by the guidelines that I linked you to. They wouldn't say it was fine if it wasn't now would they?

Anyway, each to their own.

But you should at least read before replying.

Erm I did read it. It says "the safest way to prepare bottles is to use water that has been cooled to no less than 70 degrees". Just happens to be in the exact section you pointed me to.

My babies deserve nothing less than the safest way, so not matter how big or small the risk, the safest way is what I will do.

And the guidelines are there as powder formula contains bacteria and is not sterile so it CAN make a baby ill. Same reason as we sterilise bottles.

Perhaps you should read this. Bit more likely than some silly woman in France using week old baby milk!http://www.cdc.gov/features/cronobacter/?mobile=nocontent

I appreciate everything you have said. But the question in the post was about making room temp formula.

I have simply been explaining due to the world health organisation that this is actually fine to do, althought not the best way!

Either way my Los formula has to be made with room temp water, it can't be made with boiling water, so are you telling me that I'm purposefully putting my lo at 'risk' even tho it's been medically prescribed with instructions not to be made with hot water?

Last edited:
Yout baby is on that milk for a medical reason, so although the risk of infection is higher by using room temp milk, the benefit of using that milk for your baby outweighs the risk.

The link I put up does mention about different guidelines for medical reasons. (I think, not read it today).

Or it might be mentioned in the full WHO guidelines
http://www.who.int/foodsafety/publications/micro/pif_guidelines.pdf

Am sure the OP will read all the advice and then decide what is best for her and her little one. Its personal preference for us all. Mine is to minimise every risk possible and do everything the safest way (or to the best of my knowledge and ability anyway).

I am also one of the freaks that used cotton wool and water only on my babies bum till she was 6mnths!
This time round I think I will concede that sensitive wipes are a bit more convenient with a toddler in tow who would be very likely to want to "help" and tip bowl of water over the baby! I would have been horrified at thought of using wipes on my wee girls bum 1st time round. ...

But each to their own.

I do a 2oz shot of hot water from the kettle/ a flask then add the powder (so the bacteria is killed) then top up with cooled boiled water at room temp from another flask. Makes a bottle at perfect temp and completely sterile. Just make sure you measure the 2nd lot of water in something sterile before you add it because the powder will have made the water level on the bottle creep up x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back