Looking for honest opinions and advice please!!!

Lara08

Reaction score
Hi all.
Last week I found out that I am pregnant. I am approximately 4 weeks.

my predicament is that I work with horses. I ride up to 8 a day and work with 2 young ponies handling them.

although I feel its great to keep fit and if it was my own horses (just one or 2) I think I would carry on as I could take my time. I am riding young ex racehorses which are usually well behaved but you never know, I think the risk is too great.

so my question is do I resign immediately?

I am living and working in Zambia also so I have heat to contend with too!

Thanks in advance for any help �� xx

I'm not a horsey person but my friend is, she rode until she was 20weeks but knows people who have rode longer. She was very confident on her horse but I think it's each to their own. X

Thanks. I guess the way I'm thinking is that the more horses you ride the greater the risk if you were to work on percentages. If it was just my own horse then it would be different but 8 a day is hard work even when you are not pregnant.

Iv riden not knowing i was pregnant and iv also riden a few times this time around. It is very risky as like any animal theyre unpredictable. Id stick to gentle flat work. Cant you get someone else to ride until baby is here you could stick to doing grooming and stable maintaince? Xx

I think it is down to how you feel during your pregnancy, how much risk you are willing to take and if you have had any problems previously.

I also think it is different if it is your job as compared with riding your own as the pressures are different and you would need to ride even if you aren't feeling up to it. In your situation I would probably be happy to carry on up to about 12 weeks if I was feeling good as the baby is so well protected in there at this stage. I would most likely quit after that, although it depends if you would be looking to get alternative employment for the remainder of your pregnancy, if that is the case it may be best to go sooner rather than later.

Thanks so much. At the moment I'm struggling with sore boobs so trotting is very uncomfortable!

problem is I am the yard manager. I run a yard of 13. We have grooms who I am training but they do not ride. My job is to reschool ex racehorses for polo and eventing so there is nothing gentle about it.

my gut instinct is it is too risky. I wouldn't usually be one to overly worry and as others have said it is very different riding your own horse to it being your job! Thanks for everyones comments so far ��

It's a shame you aren't protected by employment law like we are in the uk, you shouldn't have to resign. I would speak to your employer about it and see if there is a compromise, some way you can manage the risk?

Edit: Congratulations by the way!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back