Looking for a job. But is there any point??

i.love

Reaction score
I have a funny situation. I'm finishing a university in May, and I am already 7 weeks pregnant. (Btw, I'm 25, this is not my first uni. Long story :) ).

I am supposed to start looking for jobs now, but I am not sure what's the point of it. If I will come to an interview with a big round bump, am I likely to get a job??? Who would need to take a graduate on a full-time position, knowing that she is going to take a maternity leave any time soon?

I am rather confused about the situation. My husband says there is no point in applying. He says I should apply a year or so after we have the baby (not sure how we will cope financially though, as even now I have a part-time job which is not going to last much longer).

And my parents keep telling me that if I don't get a job as soon as I leave the uni, I will miss the opportunity, and no-one will offer me a job in a year etc. They say I don't want to become a housewife (although at the moment it feels like this is exactly what I want lol)

So far I think I better apply for positions as it's still only 7 weeks, you know. But I have no idea what to do if I will be actually offered a position.

I know it's my decision. I'm just wondering if anyone was in a similar situation? Or maybe has any thoughts on this?

If the employer is a decent one, they SHOULDN'T(!!) decline you because you're pregnant... But sadly many do... I thought about applying for a few jobs in the early stages of my pregnancy but decided not to as I don't want to be working when my baby is here... Would rather wait until they were 1/2... But it's up to you :)

I'd say it is worth applying if you want to, but don't feel let down if you're not successful. Just remember that work is a door that (generally) stays open :)

If the employer is a decent one, they SHOULDN'T(!!) decline you because you're pregnant... But sadly many do... I thought about applying for a few jobs in the early stages of my pregnancy but decided not to as I don't want to be working when my baby is here... Would rather wait until they were 1/2... But it's up to you :)

I'd say it is worth applying if you want to, but don't feel let down if you're not successful. Just remember that work is a door that (generally) stays open :)

Well yes I'm not sure I want to work while heavily pregnant (apparently they make graduates work really hard!) or with a newborn. The problem is I'm not sure I will want to work at all after I will get used to staying at home :)

I know the employer should treat me the same. But if they need an employee, they would probably need them now, not in a few years! And I can understand that.

'Just remember that work is a door that (generally) stays open' - I like this thought a lot :)

If you do plan to work after having the baby then it's def worth applying, least at future interviews you can tell them you were trying to get a job, it will look willing rather than writing yourself off totally, plenty of women work full time and manage just fine so they shouldn't hold it against you. only thing is you probably won't be entitled to any maternity pay having not been with a new company long apart from the statutory pay, not sure how that works though, be worth looking into as it might help you decide what your best option is.

I agree if you want to work after the baby is here, apply for some jobs. x

I can't say I relate, but at the moment I am TTC and looking for a job at the same time.
Every time I'm arranging an interview or applying for jobs, I always think to myself, "I wonder if I'll be telling the employer I'm pregnant".

Bare in mind I'm not pregnant, and I have been looking for a job since August 2010.
As well as looking for a job, I'm also thinking about going back to college for a 6th year (I left in January 2010).
Me and my OH have both applied, and if I'm not pregnant by September, I will definitely be going back to college. I do want to work some day, I do have dreams and ambition, but at the same I have dreams of being a mummy :)

I wish you all the best! & Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy xxx

Personally hun I wouldnt bother. Its very very hard to get jobs these days and having a good education seems to make no difference and being pregnant sadly will put employers off although it shouldnt by rights. Wait till you've had baba and then decide what you want to do and start a fresh :)
X

I agree too, I would say keep your part-time job while you are pregnant, so you still should get your maternity leave/pay. I unfortunatley lost my job and havent worked since I was about 20weeks. Had to sign on which is a nightmare since I still have to llok for jobs any interviews I went they took one look at me and I knew the answer would be no! Unfortunate but its life!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back