Quitting my job :-O

Lewa

Reaction score
I have decided to resign for my job that I just got...
As some of you might remember I was freaking out a bit a few weeks back because I found out I was pregnant 2 days after signing a contract for a new job as a health care assistant. I decided to not tell my employers and at least try out the job and see how it was.

I found out that I really enjoy the job, but the rate of pay is really bad it looks alright on paper, but I travel on a bicycle from house to house, and travel time is not included, in addition to this I am often a bit delayed, possibly because things take me a little longer because I'm new, but also because I feel bad if rushing the old ladies when they need to chat a bit.. and of course I don't get paid for overtime either. That includes when I had to go to a client from 11-12 when another carer had failed to go (I get payed for 30 min, but it took an hour, plus travel time) and it includes the time I came out from one home just to find the back tire on my bike was flat and I had to walk about 40 min each way to get to my final appointment, which lasted 50 min instead of 30. So that's basically half an hours pay for over 2 hours work.. It's not always like that of course, but I'm always running late, and I never get payed for travel or overtime... so in the end it's a whoooole lot of work for very little money :( In addition to that I have to go into the office for paperwork twice a week, and that's about 30 min away on a bike (no pay for that) and staff meetings are not payed for either.

I'm still a student and was only planning to have this job over the summer, and then maybe weekends in the fall, but with the morning sickness and fatigue it's just too much!

I've re-calculated a bit after actually doing the job and seeing how the hours are and it just won't be worth it for me, even with the maternity pay. I will get back into the Norwegian system instead... there you get about 3400£ as a one time support when giving birth even if you haven't worked, (and more of course if you've been working) and that will be about £2000 less than I would get in total both salary for the job here and maternity allowance if I stuck with the job.

It's quite a bit of money, but it just doesn't feel like it's worth it...

I feel horrible though cause I've never quit anything before.. but I'm totally exhausted, the house is a mess, and I'm always stressed out and complaining to OH.
SO, today I sent them my letter of resignation! :-O

Don't know where I'm going with this.. it's just a really long rant... I guess I'm hoping for some understanding and someone saying I might have done the right thing... I don't know..

Anyway.. gtg cause if I don't eat in like 5 minutes I'm going to throw up!

i think it sounds like you did the right thing, as things defiantly started to take me longer to do the bigger i got! and if you've got any level of sickness riding a bike can not be fun! it also sounds like your clued into your other options which is always a good thing! wishing you all the best :hugs: x

Hi Hun I worked as a healthcare assistant when I was a student and the job is extremely demanding both physically and psychologically, also as you're working in the community you would be restricted through your risk assessment on what you could actually do e.g. No lone working, no people moving people.

I think you've made the right decision, and you could always return later xxx

Hey hunnie, My OH is currently in your dilemma also.
He not long started, and really enjoyed his work at first, the pay was good. But now he's quitting because they gave him the wrong amount of wages the other week (he should have got £73 but instead he got £55). They're paying him cash in hand and he's basically a temp. If someone can't go into work, he'll be called in and asked to cover.

They're just using him I think. They're not losing any money with him and he's a brilliant worker so it's all benefits for them and none for him really.

They also got angry with him the other day because they tried to contact him on Sunday because one of their staff couldn't come in and they needed cover. For some reason they couldn't get hold of us on the house phone, and so instead they shouted at him telling him he NEEDS to buy a mobile phone! He's a kitchen porter/bar staff, not a teacher or a doctor! So yeah my OH has quit and although I am disappointed he doesn't have a job again, I want what's best for him and that job wasn't the best at all.

I wish you luck with getting another job, it's hard finding one in these harsh times but there's bound to be one out there that's suitable for us all. You've definitely done the right thing. If you're unhappy and working for pointless money, you may as well quit the job. My OH was making more money a week on job seekers benefit than he was in his job. Ridiculous.

xxx

Last edited:
I want to quit my job! I clean offices in the evening, but the past few weeks I am starting to hate my job with a passion! I am always so tired by the time I get to work! I have started feeling really weak and light headed the past week, went to the doc's and he said it was Fatigue and I really gotta slow down! I also don't want to go back after I've had the baby as I will be working 5-7.30 so by the time I get in at night, our little bundle of joy will be bathed & in bed :( I sat and did the sums the other day to see if we can afford for me to give it up, but it didn't look good :( x x

Thank you guys! It's nice to get some feedback from other people as well! Sorry about your husbands situation Tiffany! Hope he finds a new job soon! I don't think I'll be able to find anything at the moment as I'm starting uni again soon, so there's just too little time left to have any proper amount of time to work really... We've saved up all the loans I have for my studies, so we have that to fall back on, and I also get extra scholarships when having the baby in addition to the maternity benefits I'll get from Norway, so we should be fine!

My best friends wedding is coming up in a few weeks as well, and now I'll be able to leave sooner for that and spend some more time with her before the wedding and throw her a proper bachelorette party! Also my sister just had a baby, and my sister in law is having a baby just about a week after my friends wedding, so then I get so spend some time with them as well :)

We also just moved and the house is a complete mess, so hopefully I can get it a bit organized before uni starts :) And maybe make some baby clothes and stuff! I also need to write my dissertation this year, and getting a head start on that would be great as I'll have more than enough to do later when it's due (around the same time my baby is due! :-O

OH and I also hope to get one last holiday or weekend away somewhere, and that will also be easier to do if I don't work... so, I have plenty of other things to do, and I think even with a little less money our quality of life will just be so much better like this (for now.. I'll have to work later.. after I finish my studies... but will focus on other things for now :) )

Sorry to hear about your dilemma lilmoomin! Hope that you will manage to deal with it one way or another! Maybe you can talk to your midwife about it and see what sort of options you would have and what benefits are available? Hope you can either work less or find a way to cope with it better!!!

Sounds like uv done the right thing and u seem to have a very wise head on ur shoulders!

i think im deffo going to have to reduce my hours in work after my mat leave, its so far away lol that it seems hard to imagine but i know i will want to spend time with my baby and working 35 to 40 hrs a week and spending usually 2 nights a week sleeping in isnt something i will be able to do, hell im not sure i'll even manage it for the whole time im preg.. guess i shall just have to take it as it comes. one thing im majorly not happy about is the 24 hr shifts i keep getting put on. its one thing to have to stay overnight but its another to have to stay all the next day as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back