Long car journey

Olive

Reaction score
B is 4 months now and we're thinking of driving down to Essex soon to see family (we live in Scotland). Has anyone driven long distance with their lo and how did they find it?

I'm thinking he'll sleep a lot but we can stop off for 45 mins a few times and take him out of car seat.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I did a 3 and a half hour one, when g was about 4 weeks. she slept nearly the whole way. i fed her right before we left, then stopped half way. xxx

I read somewhere to stop every 2 hours and to travel at sleeptime, that's one heck of a journey x

Thanks.

I know it is a long way. It just makes sense driving as we'll have the car to use down there. Think it's about 7 hrs.

My cousin is driving up the start of June (her lo was born day before my lo) so will see how it goes for her too.

X

Can you not drive half way and stay over night then drive the rest of the way the following morning? If you book early enough in advance you can get a Travelodge or Premier Inn for £19.

We drove to Cornwall and back - about 7 hours each way- when pie eldest was 4 months. We had a travel grobag so put her yo bed as normal on her cot in that. Got up at 5am fed her then set off. She slept till breakfast stop about 8. Fed her again. Then she played with her car seat mobile and then slept till late morning feed. Had more sleep than normal that morning but cos there by lunchtime we could get her back on track by bedtime. Other friends travel at nighttime leaving around 7. Will be fine as much easier at that age.

Thanks hun that's good to know.

Titch that's another option we could do.

X

That is a long journey, could u and LO not catch the train and let OH drive?

Back down south for a while :yay: xx

we do longish journeys at 7 (say 1-2 hours) but are doing a looong drive down from edinburgh to london for the olympics. going to set off at 4am. gulp.

i sit in the back sometimes if she is napped out, the in the night garden magazine is a great distraction for my lo, she could study it for hours!

Ha ha that would be great pos but I'd feel mean and would be more money.

BG - it's about the same distance.

I'm not really worried about it, don't know if I'm kidding myself. An early start would prob be best though for us.

Xx

I had a disaster of a journey over Xmas, we were stuck in the car for 5 hours waiting to board the ferry (ferry couldnt dock due to severe weather), the 8 hour ferry turned into 12 hours and the final leg in the car was 3/.5 hours. Angel was a star and slept pretty much the whole time as she was only 4 weeks old at the time. We went to visit again about 2 weeks ago this time we did the 2.5 hour ferry and the 6 hour drive home (turned into 8 hours inc stops and traffic) and she was a bit irritable towards the end but she's older now so that's probably why xx

we did bristol to cumbria (about 4.5 hours) and we set off after we had bathed and fed her, so it was like her bedtime...she slept all the way. :)

We're going to be doing a few similar journeys this summer but not as long. How much extra time did you budget for??

We are going from Manchester to lincolnshire and Manchester to Malvern both in June.

We're doing 2 hours which I'm worried about. Was thinking about investing in a car window mobile?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back