Legs up?

Sparklegirl

Reaction score
I was always told after sex to lie on my back with my legs up for half an hour to give the little swimmers the best chance to get to their destination.

Is it just an old wives tale or is it possibly something that is going to help us ladies get pregnant?

Got to admit that I have tried it a few times so I have to ask am I just making myself look ridiculous for no reason or am I making myself look ridiculous for a good reason?

I done it just about every time this month. Legs up on the back of my bed for 20 minutes :D

I'd say definitely worth a try xxx

I done it just about every time this month. Legs up on the back of my bed for 20 minutes :D

I'd say definitely worth a try xxx

Can I bend my knees up? Struggle to keep legs up straight for long, if I turn round to get my legs up the wall I worry I might lose the swimmers by maneuvering myself xx

It is an old wives tale. The sperm are shot straight 'up there' and what comes out is just the liquid they were transported in. That is direct from our fertility clinic. Laying down won't do any harm but there is no need to wave your legs around in the air :)

Also if you happen to have a tilted uterus you are better laying on your front, however most ladies don't even know if they have a tilted uterus until they are pregnant, so it can't be making a difference to them :)

Yeah I bend my knees, way too unfit to keep them up straight for longer than 20 seconds :lol: I'd just aim to have my pelvis up higher than my belly so the sperm were helped on their journey :lol:

I know it's an old wives tale but I feel better each cycle psychologically if I know I've done everything and anything. I got a bfp yesterday after a year trying so it clearly can't do any harm :) xx

It is an old wives tale. The sperm are shot straight 'up there' and what comes out is just the liquid they were transported in. That is direct from our fertility clinic. Laying down won't do any harm but there is no need to wave your legs around in the air :)

Also if you happen to have a tilted uterus you are better laying on your front, however most ladies don't even know if they have a tilted uterus until they are pregnant, so it can't be making a difference to them :)

Transportation liquid made me giggle! Fantastic to know from a medical source, lying down I can manage, does it matter how long for?

Yeah I bend my knees, way too unfit to keep them up straight for longer than 20 seconds :lol: I'd just aim to have my pelvis up higher than my belly so the sperm were helped on their journey :lol:

I know it's an old wives tale but I feel better each cycle psychologically if I know I've done everything and anything. I got a bfp yesterday after a year trying so it clearly can't do any harm :) xx

Awww congratulations! Haha that's like me, I end up looking like a chicken at Christmas time! xx

I always finish a certain way and it's not on my back lmao but I bummed it in the air for 5 mins. I go to sleep right after like a proper guy. I couldn't be lying for 20 mins.

Whatever keeps you sane through ttc.

Good luck.

xxxx

I always finish a certain way and it's not on my back lmao but I bummed it in the air for 5 mins. I go to sleep right after like a proper guy. I couldn't be lying for 20 mins.

Whatever keeps you sane through ttc.

Good luck.

xxxx

Yeah the 20 mins half hour crack is a pain in the bum! I am always subconsciously worry if im not on my back it might not reach its intended destination which I know is silly but I always end up on my back no matter where I started! xxx

I have tried to do this, but I suck at lying still for that long! lol! Maybe that is why I don't have my BFP yet!

I have tried to do this, but I suck at lying still for that long! lol! Maybe that is why I don't have my BFP yet!

Yeah me too, its hard work! Its good to hear from a fertility clinic that there is no scientific basis behind it but if it helps us to think we gave it a go at least it wont hurt. That BFP will come

If you have iui at our clinic they say to lay down for 10 mins, so 10 mins must be sufficient!

I do a variety, often we dtd before bed so then I lay down all night. At other times of the day I don't always worry about staying horizontal, sometimes I need to get on with other things. I don't think it has made any difference to us at all.

Well I do tend to mix between going right for a wee then lying down for at least 10mins or just lying down before I wee. Either way I am not currently pregnant as far as I know so I will keep trying both and hoping for the best!

I always thought this was true too, it makes sense!! But the month we fell pregnant I didn't do any fancy lying and waiting...just got straight up and straight to the loo! And bam! I read that the sperm are clever little buggers and stick to the walls immediately and make their way. So apparently no need for any extra help. But I don't see any harm in doing it if it makes you feel it'll help :) good luck!! xx

To be honest I think that the sperm gets to where they need to go pretty quickly so keeping your legs in the air won't make a difference.

I have a retroverted uterus (backwards tilting) so if anything, I'd be better off lying on my front.

I always stay laid down after sex though, not sure if it actually does make any difference but I like to feel like I'm doing a bit to help!

XX

I always thought this was true too, it makes sense!! But the month we fell pregnant I didn't do any fancy lying and waiting...just got straight up and straight to the loo! And bam! I read that the sperm are clever little buggers and stick to the walls immediately and make their way. So apparently no need for any extra help. But I don't see any harm in doing it if it makes you feel it'll help :) good luck!! xx

Clever little buggers made me laugh! Fingers crossed they are and we have a good month xx

To be honest I think that the sperm gets to where they need to go pretty quickly so keeping your legs in the air won't make a difference.

I have a retroverted uterus (backwards tilting) so if anything, I'd be better off lying on my front.

I always stay laid down after sex though, not sure if it actually does make any difference but I like to feel like I'm doing a bit to help!

XX

That's it, I feel like I'm doing what I can at least! Xx

I always make hubby put at least 2 pillows under my hips then just stay with my legs in the air for 20 mins, i try not to pee for an hour to. What ever you feel that you need to do i supposed lol x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back