Ladies with dogs!!

Froslass

Reaction score
I need advice :)

We won't be getting a puppy any time soon, but as both OH and I have grown up with dogs we know we want to add a dog to the family in the near future, maybe once baby is 1 or 2 (but we'll see how well behaved LO is lol)

I have always said I'll get a newfoundland, but I'm not sure OH would be too keen - he thinks they're too big lol

I've just been thinking about it, and even though it won't be happening for a long while yet, can anyone suggest any other breeds that they have experience with and are suitable for kids?

I'd love a newfie cause they're big and lazy! Like me lol! They're also great with kids apparently x

Oh I would love one of them but same situation as you OH says too big - I am thinking of some sort of poodle mix - but boxers are great as are king charles

We have two dogs had one before baby #1 was born and got the second from the pound when he was about 6 months old. Both Labradors...fantastic with kids, also Golden Retrievers have temperments! I'd avoid smaller "yappy " type dogs as they can get a bit self centred - must be small dog syndrome!! :)

But most dogs, once they're brought up the right way and have nice natures are fine around children... but you can never ever let your guard down totally - always be aware that they are animals regardless of how human they're characteristics are. All it takes is for a child to pull a tail, stick a finger in an eye or tread on a paw accidentally for a dog to snap - not the dogs fault - but just something to be aware of. Once your children are taught to respect dogs and to be gentle there shouldn't be a problem - it's a two way street.

We've never had any issues with our boys and I totally recommend labs / retrievers :)

I don't want to put a downer on this as I am 100% a dog person. But remember that any dog could turn, no matter how much you trust it. We had rottwielers when I was younger. So soppy and sweet and wouldn't hurt a fly. I knew it would never hurt anyone but always show caution. Even if it's a tiny terrier or rat type dog lol. So many stories of dogs turning on children. Whether that be a behavioural issue with the dog or if the child hurt/upset it in some way. Dogs definitely make a good member of the family though and we intend on getting one when bubba is 1 or two like you. :)

To be honest i wouldn't advise getting a puppy until your youngest is about 4 and in fact any decent breeder won't sell a puppy to you if they know you have a baby in the best interests of both the child and the puppy.

I came across one breeder who wouldn't sell if you had kids under 8 :shock:

Plus the baby gets to "have a puppy" too that way :)

Puppy poops everywhere and nips = bad for baby.
Baby has little balance and likes to pull = bad for puppy.

Both would be competing for the one on one interaction they need.

I grew up with dogs too, but actually being responsible for a puppy as the adult is still a reality check :oooo:

Generally, the bigger the dog you want the older the children need to be but I actually like the idea of a Newfoundland if you have the space for it - big but totally lazy. I was in a show with a Leonberger a month ago and the owner was shocked when it followed my dog up steps because it normally doesn't bother lol

I personally wouldn't get a lab. I have no idea where this good family dog image comes from because there are six of them in my village with different owners and they are all big, strong, high energy and really dumb... two of them need muzzles on because they bite.

A dog should never snap. Ever. A child should be able to stamp on it, pull it, poke it... You need to encourage lots of physical contact from a young age so the puppy just takes it on the chin.

I'd either stick to big and fat like Newfoundland or bring the size down a bit and go for a spaniels :)

A dog should never snap. Ever. A child should be able to stamp on it, pull it, poke it... You need to encourage lots of physical contact from a young age so the puppy just takes it on the chin.

:)

I'm sorry Louise but that is totally irresponsible advice. NO dog (or animal) should be subjected to any of that. They are at the end of the day an animal with basic natural instincts. YOU as the owner/parent should never put child or dog in a position where snapping could happen.

A child should be taught from early on to respect the dog and treat it fairly, I certainly was! I was brought up amongst working terriers (not snappy or self centred) and racing greyhounds and knew from an early age how to behave around them. Subsequently any puppy/dog should be taught manners from an early age. Like other ladies have said common sense about not leaving dog and baby unattended should be followed. Baby gates are wonderful things, allowing the dog to still see whats happning but baby to be safe too.

I have 9 dogs, I'm a fully qualified dog trainer and behaviourist, I breed my malamutes, work them in harness, involved in rescue and rehabilitation, do agility, obedience, flyball and a bit of working trials so quite a lot of dog experience.

A dog can be a wonderful addition to the family, if done correctly. I would wait til the little one is over a year and into a good routine as bringing a pup in can sometimes be like having another baby in the house and totally disruptive!!

If you are looking for a pup find a reputable breeder who allows their pups to interact with children from an early age. I have always 'borrowed' my god daughter and her sisters who are fab with dogs.

I don't have any hard set rules on allowing pups to go with families.........each family is different. One of my last litter went to a lovely couple with a 5 year old and a 10 week old baby...........but they had just lost their previous Mal and I knew them well. Other families have hardly made it through my door when I've decided they were not having one of my pups!!!

Keep an open mind about breeds. Lab and retrievers SHOULD be fairly stable temperament and aimiable which does make them good family pets if you get them from reputable sources.

Newfies/Leonbergers/Estrela's are also known for their love of the family too, but again the right background is important. How about a Bernese Mountain dog??? Slightly smaller than a Newf but same sort of thing!!!

Once you find something you like find a local breeder and get to know them. Occassionally they may have a slighly older dog returned to them that might just fir in with your family too.

My dogs will be going through a period of transition soon, to get them used to the idea of something else in the house!! I'm going to borrow a pushchair for a few weeks and take it out for walks with them!!

Cazza, I had no idea you where a dog trainer!

How do you find Dobermans?

I only ask because OH is adamant he wants to get one in a couple months.. Im not to sure..

Any advice?

x

Last edited:
Oooh a dog trainer, that's good to know ;)
Can you talk me how to get my chihuahua to walk on a chest harness (no collars for chi's, floppy windpipe), she 1 year old and refused as a pup. She just sits on the floor xx

We have a Sheppard mix dog who's just over a year old she is part sighted and had back/hip problems but is still very laid back with all children and baby's, I don't agree with the comment "A dog should never snap. Ever. A child should be able to stamp on it, pull it, poke it... You need to encourage lots of physical contact from a young age so the puppy just takes it on the chin" we believe children need to respect animals we always teach our friends children to sit quietly and talk to her/ stoke her. friends/family have told us we cant have a Sheppard mix around a child and one with all her problems but I wouldn't leave any dog around around a young child alone

x

Absolutely love Dobes......we've had 2 Dobes in the past, both rescues.

Wonderful loyal, loving dogs in the right hands!! As with most working breeds they have a huge brain which needs to be kept occupied if not they invent their own games!!! Training needs to be firm but fair and defo hands off, they don't appreciate physical approaches.

Go to a 'show' breeder for a line that doesn't have too much working Dobe in it, temperaments will be slightly less edgey!!

I'd have another Dobe any day!!

Can you talk me how to get my chihuahua to walk on a chest harness (no collars for chi's, floppy windpipe), she 1 year old and refused as a pup. She just sits on the floor xx

Reverse physcology????

Take her to the end of the drive with her harness on and call her back in.........then a few steps out of the drive and so on til she happily learns to walk back to the house. At some point she'll happily go back out!!

I have 3 Chi's at my classes, 2 of them are not fans of going out for walks!! However I do find that alot of people tend to want to fuss Chi's when out for walks and again some Chi's do not appreciate being touched by strangers, particularly around their head as their fontanella may still be open/soft and therefore sensitive. This I believe can put them off.

A Newfie is a wonderful dog to get with children and (as a breeder of shepherds) I can't see why they wouldn't sell to people with a baby, providing the family are familiar with the needs of the animal and how to bring the two up side by side. My children have grown up with dogs/puppies all around them all of the time and it's no novelty to them, they just love eachother as they have always been there. The child grows up knowing how to treat and respect a dog.

Reverse physcology????

Take her to the end of the drive with her harness on and call her back in.........then a few steps out of the drive and so on til she happily learns to walk back to the house. At some point she'll happily go back out!!

I have 3 Chi's at my classes, 2 of them are not fans of going out for walks!! However I do find that alot of people tend to want to fuss Chi's when out for walks and again some Chi's do not appreciate being touched by strangers, particularly around their head as their fontanella may still be open/soft and therefore sensitive. This I believe can put them off.

Thanks hun, I'll try that xx

Great advice Cazza. I have a biiiiiig Dogue and hope he adapts ok to a new family member! He's a gentle boy but stubborn as a mule when the mood takes him!
I'd love a Bernese Mountain dog, they are beautiful. One is more than enough for now though!

Some great advice! I really want another boxer pup, we have a lovely female one she's so loving and soppy but nice and energetic so I love walking her, sometimes wonder if a pup would be good for her to play with as boxers bounce so much not all dogs like this when we're out! She's been great with my own daughter over the years so hope she's ok about the baby, another reason I was wondering whether a pup is a good idea now or not so she has company or would this make her feel even more pushed out cazza? I do worry if she will be jealous of baby as I've treated her like my baby over the years.

My friend has a cocker pup that is great with her hyper active 3 year old and 5 month old, I do feel a bit sorry for him sometimes tho as her little girl is so rough and naughty with him, she has no fear of any dog what so ever even though their old previous dog bit her twice, quite badly once, my friend is on tender hooks when we're out as she runs up to every dog in the park. So something else I think to bear in mind is what your baby is like as a toddler, they can be too much for some dog breeds, esp if the dog isn't trained correctly.

Cazza, you have Malamutes? I want to come and live with you!!!! I do adore them, I've always wanted one.

We have a small terraced house, though, so only ended up with a small Japanese Spitz. I would recommend my girlie any day though, she is wonderful with people <3

Pretty much gonna repeat what has already been said! Dogs are hard work and when training them they pretty much need attention 24 hours a day! I have a west highland terrier who is a brill family dog! My oh has a german shepherd who is almost 15 and is a real gentle giant so loving and sweet! He also has a doberman x staff who is almost a year, loving dog but needs so much attention! She has a good temperament but is hyper don't like her being on the same room as my little one so I put my foot down!! It all depends on the way the dig had been trained and it's environment. I would wait to get a puppy untill the child is older so they can get involved in training and you don't have to spilt your time between baby and puppy

Cazza, you have Malamutes? I want to come and live with you!!!! I do adore them, I've always wanted one.

We have a small terraced house, though, so only ended up with a small Japanese Spitz. I would recommend my girlie any day though, she is wonderful with people <3

Hey we're just down the road........you're welcome anytime for Malamute hugs!!

If you want to see my gang, my website is www.casiat.com

Needs updating though!!

x

Absolutely love Dobes......we've had 2 Dobes in the past, both rescues.

Wonderful loyal, loving dogs in the right hands!! As with most working breeds they have a huge brain which needs to be kept occupied if not they invent their own games!!! Training needs to be firm but fair and defo hands off, they don't appreciate physical approaches.

Go to a 'show' breeder for a line that doesn't have too much working Dobe in it, temperaments will be slightly less edgey!!

I'd have another Dobe any day!!

Fantastic :)

I shall tell OH that!

He absolutely loves them and wants a black n gold one .. I much prefer the brown dobes.

He's adamant he wants a bitch , I want a male .. There's going to be a huge fight when we come to buy one lol watch this space!

X

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
candigrams
Back