I've got a growth scan later today

Chrissy1

Reaction score
Because I've been measuring two weeks ahead on my chart since 24 weeks the MW has decided it's finally time to check me out (I'm now getting on for 38 weeks!) and get a growth scan to see exactly how big my baby is :wall: :wall:

It's booked for 1:30 this afternoon and I'm a bit nervous because we're hoping for a homebirth so I don't want baby to be too big in case they say it won't be safe to deliver at home. :talkhand:

On the plus side......everything is now ready for the homebirth, we've got the pool all ready and the MW finally gave me the pack of things that will be needed for the birth so we're all stations go on that front. :cheer: :cheer:

fingers crossed, my not so little bean anymore, will be a good size but not too big and they'll give me the thumbs up for my homebirth :pray: :pray: :pray:

Good luck hun. At least you'll get to see your LO again - don't forget the photo!! :dance: :dance:
It'll be dead quiet in the ANC - went on a Fri afternoon about 5 weeks ago for anaesthetist appt. No one in there!!!!!!! Went straight in and out!!! :D :D :D

Solo said:
Good luck hun. At least you'll get to see your LO again - don't forget the photo!! :dance: :dance:
It'll be dead quiet in the ANC - went on a Fri afternoon about 5 weeks ago for anaesthetist appt. No one in there!!!!!!! Went straight in and out!!! :D :D :D

:pray: :pray: :pray: I hope it is....... I thought it was funny that they could get me in so quick. The MW only rang on Wednesday and I asked for a Friday pm slot so DH could come with me and I got in straight away!

Good luck. Just remember there is a good margin of error and at 38 weeks its really hard to get decent measurements, especially of the head if engaging or low down.

We were told our baby was large but it was never an issue for me. I was really cross the registrar gave us only the doom and gloom aspects (but he had to admit when I argued with him on it those were rare cases). We had a great MW and homebirth and LO was a straighforward delivery. All 9lb 15ozs of him :lol: Also know that there were a few other factors they advised me against my homebirth (age, 37, BMI and first time mum all factored in to them being doom and gloom). Plus they always always take a medicalised approach and will nearly always advise you deliver in hospital anyway. Not many Doctors are keen on homebirths it seems.

There is no reason you cannot deliver a larger sized baby just fine at home. If there are any concerns your MW will make the call and transfer you. Your baby and you will be monitored regularly at home between contractions etc so she will know if there is any distress to be concerned about. The concerns about shoulder dystocia etc should be discussed with your MW at your next appointment with her. Mine was really clear and explained what she and other MW would do in the event of that happening. They do the same as would be done in hospital and this is usually enough to help baby along. Again please know this can happen even with not so large babies. My MW also explained a few other things that the Doc had brought up as doom and gloom scenarios but as with him, I was informed and was happy with things. I never felt at any point in my labour I had made the wrong choice nor was I worried about anything. Of course something could have meant I had to transfer to hospital, but any woman opting for homebirth is aware this can happen and is prepared for it.

If you are really concerned then of course you can decide to change your mind and transfer to hospital. You can do this even if you opt for a homebirth. Or labour at home like most women and go in when you are ready. Its your choice. Your MW knows her stuff and won't put either you or your baby at risk. End of the day its what you are happy with.

thanks Sherlock..... I'd forgotten that Galen was so big and you still had your home birth.

The shoulder dysplacia thing is the only thing the MW has mentioned so far but she doesn't seem particularly keen on me having a home birth full stop so i think she's just giving me rasons why I should have the baby in the hospital. I get the feeling she doesn't like her job much and is worried she'll be called out when I'm in labour!!

:hug:

Good luck hun :D Fingers crossed for your homebirth :)

Have fun seeing your LO :cheer:

Fingerscrossed you are ok to home birth!! :hug:

Good luck Chrissy, looking forward to hearing the estimated weight. Remember to look away if they zoom down the body on your scan because I had a scan at 34 weeks and if I didn't know already I was having a boy, I would have then! :rotfl: It was really obvious. I would have been pretty annoyed if we had chosen to have a surprise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back