Growth Scan Needed

Emily0505

Reaction score
Had an appointment with my midwife today and it turns out Bean is measuring too big and I have been referred for a growth scan

On the growth chart thingy it says he is measuring above the 90th Centile line- not that I understand what that means, other than he is big.

The first time I was measured he was too small (but was measured a bit early so MW not worried), second time no worries and this time too big.

Should get a call tomorrow to let me know when to go in for scan.

Hope my lil man is OK...

XX

I'm sure all is well, he's probably just a little tank!
I dont even have a growth chart in my notes x

I am sure all is well with LO the charts the MWs use are based on averages hun. You probably just have a very healthy LO! xx

The day after one of my growth scans I measured 2cm bigger. But from the scan lil man was actually smaller than his dates. I think the mw's fundal measurements are quite inaccurate at times. I'm sure ur lil man is perfectly fine, if not a little chubby :) xx

Don't worry hun, they told me both my babies were HUGE but they were tiny, good weight but small babies.

Lula weighed 8lb 3oz, 2 weeks early, and all the MWs say she is a 'big girl' but she's in tiny baby clothes, newborn stuff drowns her.

THey have their little charts n any baby that strays either side of the norm they get a bit freaked out about, but don't worry, your body will only grow a baby it can birth hun xxxx

My baby is huge according to scans but nothing is wrong at all. The only thing they might do is test you for diabetes, but that's not a biggie. Just try not to worry - I lost a lot of sleep over it but turns out I am just growing a healthy chub of a baby! X x

I'm sure there's nothing to worry about hun :) just think of it as you get to see your baby again :) x x

It really annoys me that midwives insist on going on about what size your baby is. So often they are completely wrong and just give mums to be something extra to worry about(like we dont already worry enough!).
I really wouldnt be to concerned as im sure everything will be fine, you probably just have a nice healthy baby in there.

Thanks for your words of support ladies. I'm sure it's all fine and although I keep telling myself not to worry, I can't help but panic that there might be something very wrong. All part and parcel of pregnancy and motherhood I suppose. It's worrying for anyone when there is a chance that something might be wrong, but iit's my first pregnancy so I have no idea just how serious these things are.

Eveything has gone so well so far, so fx that when I have the scan that is still the case and maybe he was just lying funny or somehing?

Will be interesting to see how he has changed since my 20 weeks scan though and it will be nice to see him again.

I'll keep you all posted.

Thanks again ladies, it's so great to have so much support!!

XX

Have you got a date for your scan yet hun? :) x x

I had a scan as mine thouht mine was small, turns out hes fine, they can hide away in the belly i think well xx

I got a letter this morning telling me to go in at 9.00 on Wednesday. At least it's at the start of the day but Wednesday seems aaaaaaaages away..

XX

ahhh dont worry
on scan my bubs is measuring big....
3 weeks ahead on the abdominal measurement !!!
and 2 weeks on the head and legs!
but when midwife measured my bump she said it is perfectly normal???
how can that be?
anyway she said not to worry scans arent always accurate and babies have growth spurts they dont always grow exactly the same amount each week if you see what i mean?
xxxx

ahhh dont worry
on scan my bubs is measuring big....
3 weeks ahead on the abdominal measurement !!!
and 2 weeks on the head and legs!
but when midwife measured my bump she said it is perfectly normal???
how can that be?
anyway she said not to worry scans arent always accurate and babies have growth spurts they dont always grow exactly the same amount each week if you see what i mean?
xxxx

This is what they said about my LO...the abdomen was measuring way ahead, but when she came out she was perfectly normal and proportioned.

Like everyone has said scans are pretty vague really. They freaked me out by tellingg me she was massive, and that she 'might' have fluid retention on her neck and abdomen and when she was born there was nothing there at all.

Try not to worry hun, I'm sure baby is absolutely fine, she might just be slightly outside their 'averages' or whatever they go by and that makes the doctors n that freak out coz they are so strict within what is 'normal' when there is no normal!! Just different babies, same as we are all different in sizes and proportions.

:hug:

I looked on my notes again and it says measuring above 90th centile so referred to RD&E as not yet following a line on graph. On the graph he has only been on the line once- first time too small, second time ok and now too big- so no pattern really- other than getting bigger!

I keep joking about it and trying to stay light hearted - started calling him 'Godzilla Bean' but underneath it all I am so worried.

How common is it to have a growth scan in pregnancy? I mean, if let's say two thirds of all pregnant women have a growth scan at some stage in their pregnancy then I am really worrying way too much over something that it a common occurrence, but if its only a small percentage then I should be worried as it's not a common thing.

To be fair, I think I would worry either way because I love my lil man so uch already and I want him to be OK. He's kicking away as I write this- bless him!

I have been very good and stayed away from the evil of google hence my ignorance on the whole thing- realllly silly of me not to ask Mw more questions at the time!

Roll on Wednesday, that's all I can say!

XX

I looked on my notes again and it says measuring above 90th centile so referred to RD&E as not yet following a line on graph. On the graph he has only been on the line once- first time too small, second time ok and now too big- so no pattern really- other than getting bigger!

I keep joking about it and trying to stay light hearted - started calling him 'Godzilla Bean' but underneath it all I am so worried.

How common is it to have a growth scan in pregnancy? I mean, if let's say two thirds of all pregnant women have a growth scan at some stage in their pregnancy then I am really worrying way too much over something that it a common occurrence, but if its only a small percentage then I should be worried as it's not a common thing.

To be fair, I think I would worry either way because I love my lil man so uch already and I want him to be OK. He's kicking away as I write this- bless him!

I have been very good and stayed away from the evil of google hence my ignorance on the whole thing- realllly silly of me not to ask Mw more questions at the time!

Roll on Wednesday, that's all I can say!

XX

Hun, my notes said the same about Lula, she was above the 90th percentile. She was 8lb 3oz, big girl they all say, but she's so tiny and everyone comments how tiny she is. Is in tiny baby clothes!

I think growth scans are pretty common. A friend of my MIL just had a baby boy and she was having regular scans and told she's having a big baby. In the end she had a section at just under 38 wks because he was breech and he was only 5lb something! So their measurements really aren't accurate at all. When they first told me at a scan that she was big and I had copius amounts of fluid I was only measuring 2cm ahead and my MW was finding it hard to understand coz either I had big baby or lots of fluid but she couldn't figure out where both were being kept lol

Baby will come out perfect :love:

i had 3 growth scans in 6 weeks and was so worried. the last scan I had was with a consultant and he kind of made out that I didn't even need a scan and he wasn't sure what the fuss was all about. My baby is above the 99th centile!

I really really wouldn't worry about it, just wait and see what they say on weds but I think they are just trying to look after you x x x

Good luck for wednesday!
I'm sure all will be fine xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back