Is pre-eclampsia hereditary?

welshhunni

Reaction score
Hi I have had a quick look on here and unable to spot a thread as yet.
My mother had pre-eclampsia and had to have me via emergancy c section. She was on life support for approx 3/4 weeks at a critical stage after having me and I was also on life support.
Me and my partner are starting to try for a baby but the worry of pre-eclampsia is starting to hit home.
Just wondering if anyone would be able to provide me with any help, I have looked online and there are various web sites condtradicting one and other.
Perhaps someone who has been in the same position as me can offer some advice.
I have taken the usual steps for healty pregancy such as never smoking, keeping a good weight, taking regular vitimins (no pregnancy ones as yet) wondering if there is anything else I could do...

Hi, cant really offer much help but u have raised a good question. My mum had a textbook pregnancy on me but had pre eclampsia on my younger sister. Didnt have as rough a ride as u and ur mum tho! It never crossed my mind that it could be hereditary so I will be interested to see what any of the other girls think :)

Hmmm i'm not sure that pre-eclampsia is hereditary...

A women won't necessarily have pre eclampsia for every one of her pregancies so it must be a result of varying factors but someone's genes are fixed.

I guess it might make you at increased risk if you have inherited something that triggers pre eclampsia, but what causes it is unknown.

From what i read, i think it is more a result of stress, diet and lifestyle - the same kind of things that would increase someones risk of heart attack and stroke.

High stress environments, high salt intake, lots of saturated fats, lack of exercise, etc.

Try not to worry, it probably increases your chances of it happening :oooo:

Thank for the advice girls, didn't realise there was so much to think about while TTC. Never mind it will be worth it in the end! Thanks again :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back