Pre-Eclampsia

Fly

Reaction score
I thought a few links might be helpful for anyone having experienced this condition..

http://www.apec.org.uk

Action on Pre-Eclampsia - the forums are to be found by clicking on the speech bubble icon in the top right hand corner.
This site has a telephone number you can phone for support also.

http://www.preeclampsia.org/forum/default.asp

PreEclampsia foundation forums - this is an american forums and sister site to the british one above.

I would urge anyone who suffers this condition through a pregnancy, to seek out the support of other women who have gone through exactley what you have gone through, and who can relate exactley to the very many confusing feelings this condition leaves you with.

There is no need to suffer in silence. :hug: :hug: :hug:

It might be that feelings don't occur to you until your baby is much older or it might be that they don't come until you are expecting a second child. As women, we often placate ourselves with the arrival of a healthy baby and pay little attention to our own feelings, often pushing them down as irrelevant. I did this myself after suffering this condition and payed for it when my son was 10 months old and I had to have counselling for post traumatic stress disorder brought about by my experiences of Pre Eclampsia.

I wish these specific forums had existed back then, as it was a very lonely time, with many members of my family and the medical profession back then unable to relate...It became "not enough" that my baby was fit and healthy and it became necessary for me to come to terms with what had happened to me.

I am anxious that other women don't feel that same isolation and loneliness - Pre-Eclampsia can leave you feeling incredibly disoriantated :hug:

Anyways I know there are a few mums out there currently who are diagnosed PET and I dare say there will always be more so i was wondering if this could perhaps be stickied by the mods so as to provide quick and easy reference please?

Love and Low BP's
:pray:
Sarah xxxx

Good idea Fly :hug: :hug:

I think a list of peoples symptoms/experiences would be handy for those needing to know what to look out for/waht to expect.

I practically forced them into diagnosing me :lol: If it hadn't have been for forums like this and family history of it, I probably would have walked away the first time and put everything down to normal pregnancy stuff as I'm not one for being ill/sitting round doctors/hospitals but have spent a hell of a lot of time doing so now! All for good reason of course!

I wrote this up last night which I have printed out and put in my notes as I always see a different MW/GP/DR etc and there is so much written in there now they have a lot of catching up to do! Also means I don't forget stuff!

Overview (As of 11.08.08)
- Headaches since 16 weeks – continuously worsened and now daily – no previous headaches/migranes prior to pregnancy.

- Severe dizziness/light headedness – feel as if going to faint

- Visual disturbances since approx 24 weeks – black ‘splodges’ floating in front of eyes (daily - continual) and white flashing dots (almost daily – occasional)

- Swelling of feet and hands – some days more severe than others. Can fade and return suddenly and more severe.

- Pain in upper right abdomen since approx 36 weeks – pain increasing

- Vomiting at 34 weeks (Not regular since, just feeling as if going to + severe heartburn)

- Family History of Pre-Eclampsia (mother and grandmother)

BP Record:
MW/GP Appointments
24 weeks 132/84
27 weeks 125/70
31 weeks 126/73
33 weeks 140/80
36 weeks 142/95
38 weeks 162/101

DAU Readings
06/08/08
– 140/92
- 145/95
- 160/96
07/08/08 (Methyldopa prescribed – 1 tablet x3 daily)
- 140/96
09/08/08 (Sweep conducted – result; bleeding/small clots slight cramps)
- 160/100
- 135/94
11/08/08
- 138/98
- 132/92
- 160/92

Blood Results
Uric Acid HB Levels
18/07/08 – 0.28 10.2
04/08/08 – 0.31 10.2
07/08/08 - 0.35 10.5
11/08/08 – 0.34 9.9

Protein levels in Urine (Assessed at DAU)
04/08/08 – NAD
06/08/08 – Trace
07/08/08 - +1

Yeah I think the symptoms list is a good idea too Lu - without wantin to frighten people or make people paranoid - you know and I know too, that sometimes you have to really put your foot down and make medical professionals listen to what you are telling them...

Ok so my symptoms with Charlie my ten year old were:

29/30 weeks: raised BP and slight protein in urine

32 weeks: Raising BP going out of control and high protein content in urine, some swelling and some visual disturbances.

Consultant response: Drugs to bring down my blood pressure, hospital admittance for bed-rest, 24 hour urine collections and testing, regular (two hourly) BP monitoring.

32 - 34 weeks: Responded to drug therapy really well but BP started to creep up again, Also protein levels started to creep up again.

Delivery day: Felt really excellent in the morning. Loads of energy etc. Had lunch. Swelling in face was getting noticeable. Started with a headache after lunch which became so bad I couldn't feel the pain I was in anymore. (Had to tell midwife several times I don't suffer from migraines and was in on bed-rest for pre-eclampsia) Severe swelling all over body. Face went round like the moon. Urine like treacle. Reflexes were hyper...gentle taps to wrists, ankles and knee's saw my limbs flying around like nobodies business. Too swollen for epidurals to work so General Anaesthetic. Son born by emergency c-section at 9pm due to symptoms turning into full blown Eclampsia.

Post-Partum: Very touch and go few hours. Several large injections of drugs to bring down my BP. Eventually settled. Residual slightly raised BP in comparison to BP before pregnancy - not severe enough for drugs though :)

Tips for coping with things you may experience:

1. Talk to other mum's who have been through it - they will be able to answer your questions better than most health care professionals.
2. If you are really poorly then try and get some uninterrupted skin on skin with your little one as soon as you possibly can after the birth, especially if your little one ends up being born prematurely and is in scbu.
3. DO NOT BEAT YOURSELF UP!!! There is nothing you have done to give yourself this condition - I promise x x x x x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back