Is it possible to check your own cervix when in labour?

Bluebell

Reaction score
I was thinking about this, as my hospital sends you home if your not more than 3cm dilated and really want to avoid going in just be told to come back later? What do you girls think?

Can't believe they send you home! Some people dilate really quickly! I personally wouldn't try to check myself - I wouldn't have a clue what I was feeling for! Sorry, not much help!

Xx

im the same as flopsy. my sister said when you ring the hospital they will judge whether its time for you to go in. if not they will tell you to call back. if they tell you to go in and your not dilated enough then surely they cant send you home as they told you to go in. xxx

I can just about wipe my fanny let alone check my cervix!! Haha sorry to be so forthcoming again lol

Aw no way do they send u home,sayin that with my son when I went in I was 3 cm n they said I could sit on the ward till there birthing suit opened in 2 hours or go home sooooooo I went home an scranned a pk of crumpets then went bk n I was 6cm hehe x x x

I can just about wipe my fanny let alone check my cervix!! Haha sorry to be so forthcoming again lol

Aw no way do they send u home,sayin that with my son when I went in I was 3 cm n they said I could sit on the ward till there birthing suit opened in 2 hours or go home sooooooo I went home an scranned a pk of crumpets then went bk n I was 6cm hehe x x x

Hahahah Nadine you have a way with words!!

At my hospital they dont let you stay unless youre 4cm at least, unless its quiet i guess. Ive tried to feel for my cervix lately but theres no way i can reach! x

I'm like Nadine! There is no way my arms would reach to check.....id end up in A&E having done a mischief to myself!

I was sent home at 2cm. It's really frustrating especially if it'squite a drive to the hospital.

It would be handy if we could coz I dont want to have to travel the 25 miles to be told I'm not ready and to go home. Although I would think they wouldn't send me home if they said come in as 25 miles is a bit of distance to travel like. i wouldnt even know what I was looking for even if I could get down there to check it out.. You could maybe get your other half to have a look though ?

yes they can send you home if your not in established labour, i wouldnt check your own either

They do send you home! Happened to me time with Izzy,they told me I was in early labour but not dilated enough so might as well go home..hadn't had any really pain just period pains all day. So i got dressed, got to the door of the labour ward and my waters broke...45 mins later out she popped!! I don't think you can really check yourself but I do think that maybe the internal exam i had sped things up a lot..might be worth going in just for that. if they do tell you to go home though I would..there's nothing worse than hanging around in hosp for hours..just means you'll be completely knackered byt the time you do deliver :)

I remember quiet recently when a midwife told my aunti shes not dilating enough and she should wait bit more.. next min you see shes having baby at home at comfort of her home loool so I hate when they send you back and forth.. but with sister in law, once she sent back home she told them shes not coming in after that call.. they send someone and ambulance at home

It is possible to! Its whether you want to!! Lol! Phil did it to me (my oh) but it was just cos I was peed off that I'd been in labour for days and they wouldn't check me or anything! X

Thanks girls! I think I won't be able to resist trying to feel when the time comes - probably won't be able to reach by then though, can feel it now but have more growing to do yet :)

So its safe to check your cervix in pregnancy? I am dying to know if mine is low or high... a bit scared to though? xxx

Last edited:
I wouldn't even no what part was what haha, all I no is baby pops out of it x x

Shauna you know you will only worry yourself if you check - we know what youre like!! lol :)

I wouldn't have a clue what to check for. I will leave that to the pro's lol x

I'd be afraid to , lol I wouldn't even know what I was doing so it would be pretty pointless

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back