Is breast best?

You're not gonna get blasted for it hun :hug: you know your body and your baby best and you have every right to make the decisions you did. Sorry to hear you're kind of beating yourself up about it. You've done what you needed to do to stay healthy and bond with your baby, you should be proud of yourself, facing up to mental health problems is HARD but you were really proactive about things, I think that makes you really strong and I bet you got that strength from the love you have for your babies. :love:

I'm not gonna blast you hun, I'm not one of the raving lactivists who think all mothers who bottle feed their babies are bad....breast feeding isn't for everyone, and all that matters is that you feed your baby in a way that suits you both, and it sounds like that's just what you've done!

My only concerns about breast feeding are that the mother should have been given all the right information, the opportunity to ask any questions, and get help if she needs it. If she then chooses not to breast then so be it! I also think the school system has a lot to answer for too, but that's not the fault of those that bottle feed.

Oh Leanne you shouldn't beat yourself up about that chick :hug: It was best for you at that time and that's all that matters :hug: We would never blast you for your decision xxx

Thanks you three. I dunno, I guess it just bothers me quite a bit, maybe I do think about it more because he gets ill etc. But yeah, I had to make the right decision for us at that time.
And u r right inky. I only left school 7 years ago, and I dont know if it was just my kind of school (sex ed taught us the withdrawal method... seriously. ) catholic etc. and my mum never told me about it.
We were never taught anything about pregnancy or breast feeding. Literally NOTHING. All we knew was, abortions, bad. Sex is for making kids. This is what a condom is... but the church doesnt like it...
Wonderful.
I was never breast fed and dont remember ever seeing anyone breast feed, and then school, that prob is why I feel so distant to it. I know its completely normal. But its like its a foreign language to me?
The few things that would be said at the hosp, really bombard u with "u must do this " etc etc. And I always felt really intimidated and would clam up?
x

That sounds perfectly normal! Even after I had made it clear that I did wish to breast feed, I still found the midwives intimidating. It wouldn't surprise me if it had the opposite effect and scared mothers into not doing it at all for fear of doing it wrong. How you're brought up seems to play such a large role in the decisions you make about bringing up your baby. Althought I don't remember being taught about breast feeding in school (it wasn't a catholic school like yours though, at my school their only concern was that you didn't get pregnant in the first place lol!), my entire family breast fed around me when I wad a kid. My mum breast fed, and as the second oldest of 17 cousins, all of whom were also breast fed, bottle feeding just didn't enter my head. After reading some of the other posts on this forum, I can totally see how it would work the other way too now!

It wouldn't surprise me if it had the opposite effect and scared mothers into not doing it at all for fear of doing it wrong.

110%, I fully agree with MW's promoting breastfeeding but I felt suffocated by them, and even when I tried to latch him on myself they would take over and tell me I was doing it wrong when they didn't give me a chance.

Thanks for the posts. I'm glad I wasnt the only one who felt like that with the mw's. Not glad that u felt it, but I just thought I must be too immature for grown up conversations.
Yeah sorry about my long post about it. U know when u just need to verbalize your thoughts? X

Totally chick and that's what we are all here for, sometimes it helps just to write it all down :hug: x

You would never get blasted love. Xxx

I've been supporting a mum who combination feeds for 8 weeks now. (I've even helped massage her boobs whilst she expressed!) cutting a long story short, breastfeeding just isnt working for her. She's miserable, sore, fed up and I'm sure on the verge of PND. Today she made the decision, after asking us repeatedly if she was doing the right thing, to stop. I kind of feel weird about it but really happy. Think I feel weird because I feel happy iykwim?! I'm a massive supporter of BFing but it's not always the right thing. She cried but mostly with relief (so did I, we've become real close). I'm proud I helped support her as I know she will look back and be proud in herself that she did so much longer than she thought.

I love the saying on here that what's most important is having a happy mummy. How you feed your baby is secondary to that and also dependent on that first point.

Thanks feb mum.
And ray of light. Yeah I'd heard that expression before. I think while pregnant I was really overwhelmed with the idea of it, and knowing my risk for pnd I just didn't even really think about it because I didn't want to stress about that too. And then within seconds of giving birth and feeling my drop so hard , I knew I had pnd. I know it sounds stupid, but it happened with my first too so when I felt it I freaked. The first day I felt NOTHING for my son. Now that did change within 24 hours. But then the depression and anxiety was about everything else u could possibly think of.
And I knew what was happening and just coulnt consider doing anything that would make me feel bad towards him or add to everythig thy was going on in my head.
I know well have t least 1 more child. And I wish I could say I'd breast feed next time. But in m heart I know I'll be even higher risk for pnd and don't know If I'll have it in me iykwim?
X

You know what mega pissed me off, the woman TELLING Cherry you WON'T have the same bond with your child if you bottle feed, what a load of shit!

I know, how could she possibly know, she hasnt bottle fed. so she hasnt seen both sides. The first time morgan properly took a bottle he snuggled into me and stared into my eyes as he fed and I felt sucha rush after days of not being able to get anything into him it was such a relief to see him do it. I thought, "finally, we're doing something normal" even though before that I wouldve said BFing was more normal to me, just feeding your baby yourself is a privelage, when morgan was syringe fed the nurses had to do it. I literally didnt feed him myself at all for the first few days.

Cherry said to a doctor that when Coco was due a feed she would look at her and cry because she was so sore, so a mother who is crying with boobs that are in agony, who can't bear the thought of another feed, is going to bond more than a relaxed, happy, unsore mother with a bottle in her hand??

very true!

exactly,

between me and my friends, a few bottle fed and most breast fed. My personal opinion when looking at the breast fed babies they all had rashes or dry skin on there faces of some sort, not one of them slept through the night by 5 weeks, none had a healthy glow and all the mums looked stressed out and was moaning about motherhood!! And yet me and my friend found who had bottle fed found the new life to motherhood a total pleasure and had two babies that was a picture of health!!!

Sorry Hungarian I don't agree with that at all. I don't think it matters how they're fed, just look at the health or ask a mum section on here and we all, breast or bottle feeding mums have babies that sleep/don't sleep, have intolerances, rashes, the lot. It really doesn't make a difference how they're fed. They're all babies, they're all individuals and they all have their good and bad times with health and sleep.

Firstly, I have nothing against breastfeeding mums - good for you all and more power to you. I simply believe that every mother should be allowed to choose how they wish to feed their baby.

I'm watching a programme on BBC3 at the moment called 'Is Breast Best? Cherry Healey' and it has brought back the upsetting memories of people judging me left, right, and centre and constantly trying to persuade me to try it because it was natural and best for baby.

It still makes me seethe with anger to think of all the busybodies sticking their noses in when I was going through a traumatic enough time as it was with my baby being in special care for the first week and a half of her life and being separated from her.

I just never produced much milk and expressed every 3 hours night and day for the whole time she was in special care which was tiring and stressful and emotionally draining when I wasn't getting enough to feed her and was being made to feel that her being released from hospital depended on my success in producing milk which despite following every bit of advice going, just wasn't coming.

The worst part about it was that I was never bothered about breast feeding in the first place as myself and all my siblings were bottle fed and are all doing great in life, career wise, health wise and emotionally. I was made to feel that I had to try in order to be a good mother to my premature baby.

In the end it turned out that she was lactose intolerant and so couldn't breast feed anyway and yet STILL the busybodies shook their heads and told me that that was nonsense.

I was emotionally a wreck at the time my daughter was born and not strong enough as I usually am to tell people to just sod off and mind their own business.

Anyway, the point of this whole post is really to let all you new mothers who are bottle feeding know that there is light at the end of the tunnel and there will come a day- for me it was around 3-4 months, when people will accept your choice and stop asking why you don't breast feed.

I think my issue with all those who feel the need to constantly encourage you to try (how do they know you haven't tried bloody hard already!!) is that if they think breast is generally best then fine, nobody is disputing that, but in some situations it isn't because it isn't right for mum or for baby for one reason or another. I would NEVER lecture someone about how to feed their newborn baby, it is their baby and I have no right to make them feel bad about their decision about how to feed their child regardless of how well meaning I am.

Rant over......feel free to share your bottle feeding and being frowned upon stories.[/QUOT
You know what mega pissed me off, the woman TELLING Cherry you WON'T have the same bond with your child if you bottle feed, what a load of shit!

I know, how could she possibly know, she hasnt bottle fed. so she hasnt seen both sides. The first time morgan properly took a bottle he snuggled into me and stared into my eyes as he fed and I felt sucha rush after days of not being able to get anything into him it was such a relief to see him do it. I thought, "finally, we're doing something normal" even though before that I wouldve said BFing was more normal to me, just feeding your baby yourself is a privelage, when morgan was syringe fed the nurses had to do it. I literally didnt feed him myself at all for the first few days.

Cherry said to a doctor that when Coco was due a feed she would look at her and cry because she was so sore, so a mother who is crying with boobs that are in agony, who can't bear the thought of another feed, is going to bond more than a relaxed, happy, unsore mother with a bottle in her hand??

very true!

Sorry Hungarian I don't agree with that at all. I don't think it matters how they're fed, just look at the health or ask a mum section on here and we all, breast or bottle feeding mums have babies that sleep/don't sleep, have intolerances, rashes, the lot. It really doesn't make a difference how they're fed. They're all babies, they're all individuals and they all have their good and bad times with health and sleep.

No matter how you feed your children, Breast or Bottle they will bond with you no matter what!!! When i gave birth my mum was the first person to hold both my babies and give them there first feed and yet i have the most strongest report with both my children!! relax, enjoy and dont stress yourself out. Do whatever is right for you and what you feel is right. Motherhood comes naturally x

[

between me and my friends, a few bottle fed and most breast fed. My personal opinion when looking at the breast fed babies they all had rashes or dry skin on there faces of some sort, not one of them slept through the night by 5 weeks, none had a healthy glow and all the mums looked stressed out and was moaning about motherhood!! And yet me and my friend found who had bottle fed found the new life to motherhood a total pleasure and had two babies that was a picture of health!!!

I'm sorry but that doesn't really prove anything. The fact is that out of any number of babies, some will have eczema, some won't sleep well, some won't feed well, it's just the way things are. The way they are fed generally has no bearing on this, and saying breast fed babies have more health problems is just as bad as saying that bottle fed babies don't bond with their mother. Neither are true.

No-one on this forum will ever judge someone based on how they feed their baby. It's not that sort of place. I'm sorry you've had problems with this in real life, but I'll be surprised if anyone here wishes to turn what was meant to be a thread about a TV program into a breast vs bottle debate. It's not the place, and it's not our style. Sorry.

I didn't breast feed but agree with inky. Neither of mine were breast fed. Both angels at sleeping at night. But, my daughter, healthy. My son has had numerous health issues. Prob asthmatic. Has started to get eczema.
My point is both were bottle fed. 1 fine, 1 has problems. So def can't say it's because they were Bottle fed x

Leanne I've decided not to breastfeed because I'm at high risk of PND too. I'm ok with my decision but I just hope people don't think its because I'm being selfish and can't be bothered.
X

That was exactly my fear pinky. And no one really ever said anythin to me except the in laws. I wasn't giving them my reason why, because it's personal an I don't want to talk to them about it. I said it was coz I was returning to Uni when he was 6 weeks so what was the point. She was like, well that's better than nothing. Then I snapped that I wouldn't spend the 6 weeks I had with my son stressing about something I didn't want to do.
They left it at that, but for MONTHS her and her friend would be like, oh but it helps u lose. So mug weigh bla bla. Yes thanks for the hint on how much I've gained. I am aware!
Her friend kept going on that my partners mum had never been as slim as when she breast fed. The friend has no children and always does my nut in so this just added to it.
But my nan pointed out, I was okay with it. My partner was happy to do whatever I was comfortable with, so basically said fuck them. And im glad she did. I just needed someone to understand.
U don't have to explain urself to anyone if they do say anything hun. It is ur choice xx

Sorry none of that was very clear. My nan knew my real reason and agreed it was none of their business to know hy. And even if it was some random reason like... Duno can't think of one lol. But it's my decision to make. Xx

Leanne, the weight thing doesn't happen for everyone.

In my breastfeeding baby group there are 8 of us. 2 found that BFing really helped them lose the weight. The rest of us, all 6, we're really struggling.

It's true, it burns on average 500 calories extra a day. However, if like us your hormones are all over the place (I.e most women after a baby!) then you just need to eat! Breastfeeding definitely makes me hungry, especially for carbs. If I didn't have this raging appetite I'm sure that burning an extra 500 calories a day would be awesome for my arse. Unfortunately, I'm eating about an extra 1,000 so this cancels out the good!

Also I had started bootcamp to help shift the weight. I was doing really well but then noticed a massive drop in my milk supply so had to give up and only go once a week. So the weight I'd worked so hard to lose has crept back on in only two weeks. I'm gutted. Just one of those things though, in breastfeeding I choose to give my body over to Blake. I love it and wouldn't have it any other way but bloody hell now it's coming up to summer it doesn't half get you down. You sound like you don't need that kind of extra pressure love. Tell your inlaws to stick it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kayx94
Back