IS breast best on tomorrow 9pm bbc3

abbiecourt

Reaction score
this programme is on tomorrow on bbc3 at 9pm just thought id let you all know xxxx

Fab - I love Cherry Healey; have you seen Cherry has a Baby? So sweet x

Yeah I want to watch this, I saw the one where she had her baby and I couldn't believe that woman she interviewed in the birth pool at home who barely made a sound and smiled the whole way through with no pain relief!! My oh still goes on about it!!!!

oh i may set the virgin box to record it x

i think i watched it a couple weeks ago and she asked some woman if she wud rather her hed butt her and all her teeth fall out then have a contraction something like that and said wud u rather me smash u round the face with this chair lol i thought you cannot say that but it was very funny to watch x

ooooo im going to have to watch it when i get home from work on wed!

i loved cherry had a baby, and cherry gets married :)
oh i do wish i could do it like the lady in the birthing pool!

Thanks for this. I forgot all about it but have just watched it on BBC iPlayer. I thought it was a good and rather interesting documentary. It could've went more indepth at the issues surrounding it though, like getting baby to latch correctly, sore nipples, feeding in public, but overall found it a good watch. x

I thought it put breastfeeding across really negatively - I like Cherry Healy but it felt like because she didn't breastfeed she was trying to justify herself. And the three women that did breastfeed; they weren't put across in the best way either which wasn't very fair. They either made out it was really really hard (for the young girl) and she kept saying things like "Will she give up? How can she carry on?", the other woman who was part of the breastfeeding group was portrayed as an "activist" and the other lady was feeding her 3 and 5 years old which was obviously to spark a reaction. There was no one on there just portrayed as a Mum who had persevered with breast-feeding or someone who had found it easy: actually that woman Tejan who fed for 11 months, she was great but was left comforting Cherry because she felt guilty about not breastfeeding! Not a very helpful program at all really... x

Last edited:
I thought it was quite realistic, I didnt watch it from the very beginning. I thought they covered all the cases - i.e someone who loved bf, someone who thought they would never do it but did and someone who didnt do it. It still left me with the same feelings - I will give it a go and will try and get all the help I need but if for some reason it wont happen, I wont beat myself up about it.

so i've just watched it :) it was good but i do totally understand the comments you've all made about it! personally i really want to breast feed and i know it's unlikely to be an easy ride but i'm also aware of what i can buy to try and make it as comfortable as possible! it also made me feel very glad that i know my mum will be on the end of the phone and able to give me any help that she can with it :) as so far i haven't found my mw's to be very helpful :-( will also have to have a look into the whole support group thing!!! but best of luck to all of us!!!

I just watched this, and its the milk bank thing that i would have liked more details about. I mean is it safe for a baby to have some other womens breast milk for a start? she could have gone into more detail about that. I'm not sure that if my baby was born early i would like it having some other persons milk..

Last edited:
I just watched it... I knew breastfeeding was going to be difficult... But there must be a lot of people out there who don't suffer otherwise why would mums persist?? I'm nervous about having difficulty myself but my mw has already told me about the groups at my local childrens centre where I can get help if I need it...

But the thing about teenagers not breastfeeding.... HRMPH!! I'm 18 and the thought never even crossed my mind out bottle before breast... Maybe she needs to speak to a WIDER variety of people!! x

I thought the whole programme was just designed to make people not feel guilty about not breastfeeding. Which is fine but like the others have said, it showed women who do breast feed as wierdo's, didn't show any normal people breast feeding apart from that young girl Emma and they just made it look so torturous, did scare me a bit but I soooooooooo want to persevere and will deffinately be asking my midwife about support groups and help with feeding

oh i forgot to say that I breastfed my first and I was 18 for 6 months, I didn't even consider bottle feeding. It did hurt like hell to start off with but you get used to it and I didn't have a problem whipping my boob out in public to feed her ethier. If people want to look then go a head as I'm not bothered as long she was happy that is all I cared about.

Still font think it was negative, I want to be prepared for the pain and potential problems, and I will ask for help.

I breastfed my first til 8 months and 2nd til 13 months (she refused bottles etc). For the first few weeks it does hurt when they latch on but I found by the time I'd counted to 10 it didn't hurt anymore. Found Lansinoh to be a great help (didn't get cracked nipples but did get a blister with each child) and it doesn't have to be washed off before baby feeds. After a while it doesn't hurt at all. As for feeding in public lots of places are now breastfeeding friendly and there's normally somewhere you can do in discretly. My DH had the biggest problem as he was scared other blokes would look at my boobs, kept telling him they're not sexual objects they're udders! And that the reason he liked them was cave man instincts "ug boobs = feed baby"!!! Will be feeding this one too!

I thought the whole program was a journey through Cherry's guilt.

I felt it didn't show breastfeeding in a positive light at all. It was labelled 'creepy' that you're a 'slag' if you get your boobs out and it's going to feel like you're being stabbed.

Where were the scientific facts about the antibodies/nutrients etc? That wasn't explored at all in depth and I felt was skirted over "it's amazing" she kept saying but she didn't fully explain just why it was.

The best thing to come out of the programme was the stuff about the support groups but to be honest after seeing a bloody cracked and blistered nipple why would you bother in the first place? My advice to all you mums to be would be to get antenatal education about breastfeeding before your baby comes along. Find your support group and go along when you're on your maternity leave. Speak to other breastfeeding mums, watch them feed, learn all about postitioning and attachment BEFORE and where possible take your other half as they're the ones who can see if you and baby are positioned correctly. This was a godsend for me at 3am feeds - my husband could see when he wasn't latched properly.

As for milk banks, I have donated my breastmilk since Blake was 5 days old. I am screened every 3 months via blood tests and I took a lifestyle analysis with the people from the milk bank before. I adhere to the strictest hygiene practices and the milk is expressed into pre-sterilised bottles and frozen immediately. My milk isn't just given to babies straight off, it is pasteurised first and goes through rigorous testing before being given to any baby. As she said on the programme, some babies cannot have formula when so young so sometimes it is a matter of life and death. Although I didn't realise the milk goes for £100 a litre! I've given away £2,000 worth so far and have another £500 in the freezer right now! Wouldn't change a thing though, makes me very proud that I do it.

Anyone worried about breastfeeding, please don't go off that programme. I love cherry healey but felt it was somewhat irresponsible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back