• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Iron supplements alternatives

Hunnie

Reaction score
I've been prescribed to take iron tablets by the doctor but I have an issue with tablets and taking them which really does put me off taking them even though I know it's important. I've tried the floradix solution but I cant say that was any better and was like drinking pond water :(.

I was just wondering of any particular foods I could eat that are particularly iron rich? My mum prescribed the old remedy of Guinness the other night and with only having a small glass I woke up the next morning feeling miles better and not half as groggy but I don't think it's a particulalrly good long term solution?

dark-green leafy vegetables, such as watercress and curly kale
iron-fortified bread
beans
nuts
meat
apricots
prunes
raisins

Got these off NHS website xx

try spatone.. its an iron liquid, made for people who cant stomach the iron tablets (espc pregnant women) my midwife suggested it, you can ask for it on prescription or buy it over the counter & i think it comes in flavours :)

My mums friend drank Guinness throughout her whole pregnancy and her daughter suffered no problems, she was born with teeth though!

I too have been told I need to take iron tablets and I too struggle to swallow tablets :( I went to my chemist any way and I was prescribed Ferrous Sulphate 200mg by the brand 'actavis'. The tablets themselves are absolutely tiny and so I find these really simple to swallow. I showed them to my midwife and she said these are the correct tablets I needed and I would have got the exact same one's from the doctor by prescription. They were only £2 though so I didn't mind buying them from the pharmacy.

If you still don't feel like taking these tablets, although I assure you, they really are tiny! Then readybreak is another good iron supplement I've been eating, I have it for breakfast usually but if I get hungry in the day time I eat a bowl of it as a snack.

I hope you feel better soon. I was extremely tired a few weeks ago but the tablets seemed to have worked wonders xxx

I was gonna say leafy greens and guinness!
My mum was told to drink guinness when she was pregnant with me by the doc lol

My dad got me some mackesons today so I've opened up a can and I'll try and sip it this evening. Thank you for all your advice ladies :)!

I wonder if being iron deficient is why I've been feeling so poorly and run down today?

Possibly! I got really dizzy and would feel weak and tired when i had it in my other 2 pregnancies x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clark Gracen
Back