Insomnia

LouiseB

Reaction score
I haven't been sleeping very well ladies and i'm wondering if ayone has any sure fire ways to knock me out before bed that doesn't involve tablets and things?

I just lie there feeling too warm and everytime i nod off, i'm awake again and shifting position.

I have loads of thoughts swimming around in my head that i can't do anything about and it's driving me crazy :(

I need some :nap:

Last edited:
I've suffered from insomnia for years - since a family bereavement. I have found it very difficult to control and the only thing that's had an impact is to deal with how I feel about the bereavement. But that's hard and it took me 5 years to be ready to do that. So the only sure fire way of dealing with it is to deal with the underlying issue.

But for quick fixes, herbal pills have helped me in the past, but not always. Rest and calm before bedtime is good - a bath, quiet time, no exciting TV for an hour or so before bed, stuff like that. Yoga has been a key coping mechanism for me - and meditation classes with my yoga teacher. He's taught me breathing and meditation techniques that I can use to slow myself down and get my body some rest even if I'm not asleep. I always find that the physical exhaustion is one of the worst parts of insomnia. Yoga gives me some control of myself.

If there's lots on your mind can you share it with a friend or your partner? Things often seem insurmountable in the middle of the night but if you chat through them you can find solutions or just ease the burden on yourself.

And a routine. Starting an hour or so out from bedtime and preparing your body and mind for bed can help.

But really, it's only dealing with the things keeping you awake that will enable you to sleep.

i was told if i couldnt sleep to get up write down everything that is in your head and then go back to bed

But really, it's only dealing with the things keeping you awake that will enable you to sleep.

I was afraid of that.

A lot of it is baby related and it could be months until that progresses and even then i don't know if i want it too.

I can't really talk to my husband about it, well he doesn't understand - i'm being forced to do a bit of soul searching and i can't get my head around it.

i was told if i couldnt sleep to get up write down everything that is in your head and then go back to bed

Hmm that's not an entirely bad idea, i think i'll give that a go now :)

I agree with what ScotchEgg & MrsMc have said.

Another thing I found useful when I've been through periods of insomnia is just to get up and do something. Sometimes it's really ridiculous things like cooking, or just getting out of bed, planting myself on the sofa and reading. But being out of bed and doing something can make me feel really sleepy, then I stay up just a little bit longer than I want to so I'm properly knackered when I get into bed.

Maybe try reading a book in bed it will make your eyes tired and help take your mind of what is troubling you x

Hot bath, swim in the tub, candles, chilling...
Or reading in bed with a hot drink (decaff or hot choc or warm milk) - just try and totally chill and switch your brain off from everything else except what you're doing/reading etc
Sometimes baby stuff keeps me awake too but then the sensible part of my brain tells me to shut up and relax and then I normally nod off x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back