Induction of labour

cers123

Reaction score
So in booked in to be induced on the 28th of this month ... I was really excited because I'm getting closer to seeing my baby... But now I'm really nervous ... Can anyone shed any light or information on being induced ... Is the process as horrible as I'm imagining ...

I was induced unexpectedly! I'll give you my experience of it and how I felt!
I was given my first sweep the day before induction and it was horrendous (the rest weren't bad at all)
They inserted a pessary in (medicated tampon basically) the next morning for 24 hours - that was the worst bit for me, not the actual insertion, I just really didn't like having it there when I was going toilet and showering and could sometimes feel it when I walked. After 24 hours, it hadnt dilated me much so they used a tablet instead - they go in for 6 hours, if they don't work, they'll try another. They'll only do 2 tablets they told me (might be different for other inductions). Luckily, tablet worked. I was sent for my waters to be broken after that which basically just felt like I was weeing myself for hours. Then on a drip to make contractions more intense. I was given sweeps with the pessary and tablet insertions too, I think but didn't really notice them after the shock of the first one.

I'd happily do it all again and it wasn't bad at all. Different experiences for different people but you'll be fine :) x

Last edited:
I had an induction due to gestational diabetes, and i was nervous, especially after reading so many stories about how terrible it can be - but it certainly wasnt as bad as i thought.

I was given a time to go to hospital, and when i turned up they showed me to my bed and gave me some time to settle in. Then they came and plugged me up to the heart monitoring machine for half an hour, and everything was fine so they gave me the pessary (i was dreading that part, but it was just uncomfortable while they were putting it in, and then i couldnt tell it was in there afterwards) Then i lay there for another half an hour on the monitor...then was unplugged and told i could do what i want, and just to let them know if i was leaving the ward.

Nothing happened until around ten hours afterwards for me, and it just started as period type pains that slowly built up.

Theyll do a few internal exams to see how dilated you are, and once youre at least 4cm theyll wheel you off to the birthing room.

Basically its nothing you cant cope with, and may even be quite fun - i was on a ward with 5 other women, and its really nice to be with other women going through the same thing (and this is from somebody who really wasnt looking forward to sharing a ward)

Basically what im trying to say, in a very long winded way, itll be fine :)

Thanks a million for posting ... It's really good to know that people have had positive inductions lol

People scared the shit out of me at first "inductions are sore" "inductions are the worst" I loved mine! Plus this was my first labour so the bonus was nothing to compare it to.

I had an induction I was 12 days over. Took 2 pessaries after the second I got mild cramp then it got worse and I was on the monitor shown to be contracting. I got some codeine and heat pads then went for a shower that brought the contractions on. I was 1cm, got diiamorphine life saver and went to sleep. Woke up in pain, was 5cm, waters went before I got checked and then I was off. Jackson was born shy of 2h later.

All in from when I started cramping to when I had him was 9h. But obv I slept LOL. I got to 5-10cm in 2h and J was born 11min after I was classed as 10cm and ready to push! Quick delivery. The labour was did on gas & air but happened too quick for epi I didn't need it.

I had a private room, thank god.

I had the best labour ever and would take induction again if I could.

I just felt really organised, safe, comfortable, and I honestly couldn't have got to 5cm without the diamorphine.

My best advice, the advice that got me through is just keep an open mind and deal with anything when it happens, that baby will come out one way or another and going into it scared makes it much harder.

Good luck, I'm sure you'll do great!

xxxxx

Last edited:
Hey Hun ,

I was induced as I was 12 days over and in my experience its not as bad as people Make out . Mine was brilliant .

I was induced at 8 in the morning and had ruby at 10:43pm the same day .
When I first went in I was examined and a pessary was inserted . Contractions stared within the hour but they were manageable . By around 1 the contractions were a lot worst and I tried a birthing ball which actually really helped with the pain . By 6 the contractions where really painful and at this point I still had no pain relief . I decided to get a hot bath which done nothing , I then asked for a shot of diamorphine which was bloody amazing lol .

I was then taken to delivery at 8ish and ruby arrived a few hours later .

You always hear the horror story's but mine was a great birth .

Xxx

I also had a brilliant induction and would do it again if need be. X

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back