Income support stopped once yougest child reaches 12

mary70

Reaction score
My x sister in law had a meeting at the job centre yestreday, she works 12 hours a week and her yougest daughter is 12 next year, they have told her that if she isnt working 16 hours or more by the time her daughter is 12 her income support will stop and she will go onto job seekers and will be sent on training courses ect what do u think?
I DONT WANT THIS TURNING INTO AN ARGUMENT!!

erm i'm kind of scared of answering now :wink:

I agree with it - don't see any problem. If she was having the baby now she'd find it more difficult to get onto income support afterwards - my students who are pregnant have been told that once the usual maternity leave period is up they will be straight back on jobseekers - not IS - which does seem a little harsh. She's had fair warning to get things organised and she isn't being kicked off support all together but being given jobseekers instead.

And the training course are ok you know - we do actually do some good :wink:

im 100% with it, im a single mum my son is 2 and i have to go out to work why cant people who have older kinds, i know mums with younger kids reasons id love to be a SAHM and if i could i would be but wen a kid gets to 7-8 y not go get a part time job?

i totally agree sarah she should have got of her arse before now she has never worked since leaving school and she is 42, i worked full time from kie being 5 i am lucky that i have my husband to support me with a decent wage

I'm for it.

At it's basest level, benefits are there for people unable to make a living for themselves, which covers mothers of young children not supported by a wage earner. Which is totally fine IMO.

When your children are in school I see no reason why someone can't get a job to support themselves, even if it runs after school by an hour or two, there is enough after-school provision or a 12 yr old could be supervised by a neighbour for a short time.

It seems the government may be starting to crack down a little on our benefit culture and I'm 100% in support. :D

I'm for it, but the problem is then she'll be on jobseekers for ages, when they should be forced to get work. My neighbour has 3 kids, the youngest is about 13 and she's been unemployed at least 5 years cos in all the time we've lived here she's never done a days work, :roll: I work more than her, and have 2 young kids and another on the way.

I really don't see why people shouldn't have a job if there youngest is 12. I'm planning on going back to work as soon as Nathan starts school and I feel a bit lazy doing that but can't afford the childcare. there's no need to still be out of work when the kids 12.

i would work now if i could ive been on is since leaving my ex 7 months agos because i just cant afforrd the childcare and other expenses for three small children but in 2 years all my children will be in school and i intend on working full time for now im thinking courses so im ready for work at that time.

I can understand some mums staying off work until their kids go to high school but after then there's no real excuse. When kids are in primary & junior school then after school childcare is expensive, holidays are a nightmare and HUGELY expensive especially if you have more than one kid and not entitled to benefits. I had informal childcare but learnt my lesson on that never to rely on anybody unless its a formal arrangement.

I'm for it too, I'm 18 have worked since I was 13, right through my pregnancy with Harry and then back again after my maternity leave. I hate the thought of ever going on benefits (no offence to others, just my opinion) and don't understand why people wont go to work once their children start school, obviously there are some who can afford not to. I think benefits etc are made to easy for people now!

if the kids at school theres nothin wrong with gettin off ur bum and working!!

yeah we get help paying our rent so we have a roof over our head but we both work, i would like to either pay the rent outright or even own my own home but i dont think we are doing too bad at this point in time - i dont wanna be seen as a scrounger!!! :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back