In Law's.

moss said:
Does anyone find it offensive that people keep telling Serendipity over and over not to leave her baby alone. I feel like it is similar to saying "Don't leave your baby on the window sill or top of the stairs" or "Don't leave your baby home alone." Well, obviously!

:clap: I thought exactly the same, so id like to warn you.... young lady your not to leave your baby alone with any lions, tiger or bears either alright ! :D

MagicMarkers said:
moss said:
Does anyone find it offensive that people keep telling Serendipity over and over not to leave her baby alone. I feel like it is similar to saying "Don't leave your baby on the window sill or top of the stairs" or "Don't leave your baby home alone." Well, obviously!

:clap: I thought exactly the same, so id like to warn you.... young lady your not to leave your baby alone with any lions, tiger or bears either alright ! :D

Why be sarcastic?
As I just said, a lot of people do leave animals around there babies and I was just giving her some advice as I have a lot of experience with dogs.
This is a forum and you are allowed to give advice right/opinions?
I stated not to leave the baby alone as she seemed a tad nieve to the breed of dog she had.
I give up.

Morganuk said:
MagicMarkers said:
moss said:

Why be sarcastic?
As I just said, a lot of people do leave animals around there babies and I was just giving her some advice as I have a lot of experience with dogs.
I stated not to leave the baby alone as she seemed a tad nieve to the breed of dog she had.
I give up.

I dont think you need alot of experience with dogs to know not to leave your child alone with them tbh, i think what me and moss are saying is its just common sense and for everyone to keep repeating it ( no-one mentioned you ) is a bit condescending, fair enough everyone give their opinions and adivse but the need to repeat the most fundemental of pet/baby rules is a bit uncalled for in my opinion :S
Im to sure what you mean *a tad neive about the breed she has*, is another sweeping generalisation about the breed, as far as im concerned no one breed is any nastier than another, its just the fact a larger dog can do more damage, iv met far more evil little terriers and posessive lapdogs than i have big dogs, just because their attacks dont do an awful lot of harm doesnt mean they dont still attack. Maiinly because owners of big dogs HAVE to be so much more careful they train their pet, because they know the risk they run if their dog does turn, and are mostly a responsible owner and a safe pet to be around, its the hoodys buying the bigger breeds for fighting and general abuse of the animals that give them a bad name ! :talkhand:

MagicMarkers said:
Id actually be more wary of a cat with the baby than the dog, not generally, but there not as easy to seperate are they, if you put stair gates up then a dogs in one room your in another, but a cat can jump anything and id be paranoid itd lay on the baby as flos nice and warm and smother her :shock: :shock:

It's the other way round!!!!! Seren loved our cat Toby and was always trying to lie on him - result a £140 vets bill and a cat with a bruised tendon.

lol i think thats what it is ive never seen a cat with a baby, poor Toby bet he didnt see that coming, then again dont get a much comfier prop than that ! :rotfl:

MagicMarkers said:
lol i think thats what it is ive never seen a cat with a baby, poor Toby bet he didnt see that coming, then again dont get a much comfier prop than that ! :rotfl:

When I was pregnant with Cally, Toby moved out to live with the old dear who "wasn't feeding him or letting him in the house" :roll: . Think he'd had enough. And Seren is going to pay that bill out of her pocket money when she starts to get it ;)

MagicMarkers said:
Morganuk said:
MagicMarkers said:
moss said:

Why be sarcastic?
I give up.

I dont think you need alot of experience with dogs to know not to leave your child alone with them tbh, i think what me and moss are saying is its just common sense and for everyone to keep repeating it ( no-one mentioned you ) is a bit condescending, fair enough everyone give their opinions and adivse but the need to repeat the most fundemental of pet/baby rules is a bit uncalled for in my opinion :S
Im to sure what you mean *a tad neive about the breed she has*, is another sweeping generalisation about the breed, as far as im concerned no one breed is any nastier than another, its just the fact a larger dog can do more damage, iv met far more evil little terriers and posessive lapdogs than i have big dogs, just because their attacks dont do an awful lot of harm doesnt mean they dont still attack. Maiinly because owners of big dogs HAVE to be so much more careful they train their pet, because they know the risk they run if their dog does turn, and are mostly a responsible owner and a safe pet to be around, its the hoodys buying the bigger breeds for fighting and general abuse of the animals that give them a bad name ! :talkhand:

In her own words:

My dogs are perfect (written on first page.
That is what I meant about being naive.
Some dogs are more dangerous then others.
Just an example:
http://www.petsdo.com/blog/top-ten-10-m ... dog-breeds

Different breeds have different characteristics and rottweilers are known to be docile and it has been proven that they are one of the most dangerous dogs ut there.
Genetically over the years they have been bred pacifically bred to guard and protect where as a lot of dogs are just bred for pets and lapdogs.
Yes I agree that it is also how a dog is trained as people who dont train them right can make them even more dangerous but you can not take there instict away.
Although all dogs have the ability to be aggressive some dogs are more genetically likely to have those traits such as rotti's.
Look at the way they are built, they are pure muscle so its common sense to know that they are potentially a lot more dangerous then other breeds.

Serendipity_ said:
I personally wouldn't trust hamsters.

They evil.

:shock:

Im sorry but Im highly offended by the hamster bashing comments, leave the poor lil things alone!!!!! :D :evil: :D :evil: :D
(sorry no comment on the dog situ!)

I used to have an old git of a hamster called Eddie, and a dog called Sammy who wasn't the brightest spark.She would keep putting her nose against his cage and time and time again he would bite her nose and she would run off yelping. Nothing to do with this discussion but very relevant to me ;)

If I was naive about my dogs, I wouldn't have them. The "my dogs are perfect" was sarcastic as my dogs are far from perfect. They love to chew bloody electrical items. :shakehead: My GHDs :shock:

I just know my dogs better than anyone on here so to condescend me was quite irritating. Yes, its a forum, blah de blah, opinions, blah de blah. But I never actually asked people whether I should keep my dogs. It was an issue when I found out I was pregnant, I was unsure. But now I'm sure, I'm not getting rid of them. Already ordered my dog gates :D

I'm not going to leave my child with my dogs, lions, tigers, bears, crocildes, the MIL. :shock:

I've only read a page or 2 and I'm not going to comment on past posts. Personally I think you do not have to get rid of the dogs. ANY pet needs to be supervised around babies. As they move unpredictably and can spook animals. My MIL is a bit concerned about my big dog, personally I think he'll be fine it's the little one I'm worried about as he is permanantly attached to me when I'm in the house.

I know lots of rotties, some are gorgeous others are horrid. Just like I know lots of Jack russells again some are lovely some are pure evil. You can not condemn a breed, each dog is different. Small dogs have a greater incidents of attacks. It's just the big dogs who make the press. Do you watch dog whisperer? He's had a couple episodes with dogs and new babies. He has a section on his website here http://www.cesarmillaninc.com/tips/addition_baby.php

My Bruno is brilliant with kids but you have to watch for the signs. Like if he yawns alot or tries to move his head away then I know he's had enough and it's time to move him away. Never the child. He has to learn to respect the child and he's lower in the pecking order. You know your dogs, it sounds like you are a responsible dog owner and you're not going to be silly and leave any child let alone your own alone with them. So often it's just the dog and child in the room. If you were poked in the eye how would you react? Well if a child hurts a dog, the dog only knows one thing - defend itself.

I'm not making any decisions until I bring the baby home and make sure my leadership skills are in effect way before then. Dogs usually only behave in the way we allow them to. Sadly the dog is put down when it's the owner who never had control in the first place.

Trudyscrumptious76 said:
I've only read a page or 2 and I'm not going to comment on past posts. Personally I think you do not have to get rid of the dogs. ANY pet needs to be supervised around babies. As they move unpredictably and can spook animals. My MIL is a bit concerned about my big dog, personally I think he'll be fine it's the little one I'm worried about as he is permanantly attached to me when I'm in the house.

I know lots of rotties, some are gorgeous others are horrid. Just like I know lots of Jack russells again some are lovely some are pure evil. You can not condemn a breed, each dog is different. Small dogs have a greater incidents of attacks. It's just the big dogs who make the press. Do you watch dog whisperer? He's had a couple episodes with dogs and new babies. He has a section on his website here http://www.cesarmillaninc.com/tips/addition_baby.php

My Bruno is brilliant with kids but you have to watch for the signs. Like if he yawns alot or tries to move his head away then I know he's had enough and it's time to move him away. Never the child. He has to learn to respect the child and he's lower in the pecking order. You know your dogs, it sounds like you are a responsible dog owner and you're not going to be silly and leave any child let alone your own alone with them. So often it's just the dog and child in the room. If you were poked in the eye how would you react? Well if a child hurts a dog, the dog only knows one thing - defend itself.

I'm not making any decisions until I bring the baby home and make sure my leadership skills are in effect way before then. Dogs usually only behave in the way we allow them to. Sadly the dog is put down when it's the owner who never had control in the first place.

Thanks for that website, gonna have a read of that it in a bit.

Yeah, I know when the dogs have had enough. The girl turns her back on everyone and the lad lies in the corner.

If I thought they were vicious dogs, I wouldn't have had them. Never mind the baby, what about me?? :think: Joke, before social services get on my case. :|

I wouldn't worry about the In laws too much. They are just trying to look out for you. It might be worth mentioning that if they do come over and the dogs and baby are in the same room any anxiety they feel will be picked up on by the dogs and they'll end up agitated.

Which your MIL will interpret that she was right all along instead of realising she's the one sending the bad energy. (if you've no idea what I'm talking about read Ceasers site, dogs pick up on our energy)

Just for the record before people start trawling out sites with top 10 evil dogs can they please research the matter properly and not scare monger. Small dogs are just as likely to bite and cause injury or fatalities as big dogs are.

Also I agree Hamsters are innocent! They are usually behind bars anyway. :rotfl: :rotfl:

Forget breed. Don't assume your dog will not pose a problem based on breed alone, or vice versa. Sure, babies have been bitten by Rottweilers and pit bulls, but they have also been injured by labs, chows, and mixed breeds. A baby in Rhode Island was killed by a cute little Pomeranian. What is the key? Leadership. Be honest with yourself. Can you control your dog at all times in all situations?

That website is pretty good to be fair.

Oh, I know everyone is looking out for us and trying to give good advice, but we're capable of making the decision by ourselves, which we have done.

I can handle my dogs, just need to train the baby not to mess with its bowl or be nasty towards the dogs. To any dog really. My brothers got a Pug that is frightened of its own shadow, but I still wouldn't allow my child to be alone with it or even be nasty to it. It might be little, but its still an animal.

I just want people to fuss the dogs when they come to the house to visit the newborn as well as fuss the baby. Then there is no need for the dogs to be jealous.

Ooo I nearly quoted that bit too. He's great he has a big facility and has lots of dogs - his pack. He has everything in there from Pit bulls to Rotties. The way they all respect him and part when he walks into their compound is amazing. It's all about being pack leader. Not easy when they are lookin at you all cute and fluffy!!! :rotfl: I wish I was pack leader. :( I'm definitely at the bottom, I'm way too soft!

You'll be fine. I'm sure as an owner of a big dog you've had to put up with stupid comments all the time anyway. My B is a cross between an American Bulldog and Boxer, he weighs 7 stone and if he's on his hind legs is taller than me. We regularly walk with 2 weimaraners, a british bulldog and 2 or 3 labs. no one will play with us, as our dogs are too big!!!! :shock: It's ridiculous! These are other dog owners who should no better. My dog has only every been attacked by small dogs. Yet somehow it's my fault. Despite the fact everytime we've been happily playing from nowhere this small ball of fluff appears and starts biting him! :shakehead: I've had to develop quite a thick skin as I'm sure you have too! :roll:

Yes definitely. I remember someone telling me that if my dog come near them, they would punch it in the face. I understand people are frightened of dogs especially big dogs, but if anyone punched my dog for no reason, they would get bitten... By me and the dog :talkhand:

I remember I was watching the OH play rugby at an away ground and I had my dog on the lead and this little Spaniel off the lead come by my dog, jumped underneath it and all the hair on her back stood up and she was getting agitated. The dog owner of the Spaniel was going "look at her getting angry, stupid dog". I almost booted the Spaniel away :shock: I just said to the woman please remove your dog away from my dog, she's getting nervous. I know I would be nervous if this little thing was standing underneath me. :?

With any big dog, people run off from you. Its quite disheartening but understandable. I'd never let them off the lead though. The only place that this is allowed is on the rugby fields where OH plays rugby as they are safe there, people know the dogs, they won't run off and they just run around and get themselves tired.

Your dog is beautiful, I think I've seen a photo of it on Tri 1. Or am I getting confused? :think: (To Trudy)

Trudyscrumptious76 said:
Yes that's me! Any excuse to show my dogs off! What am I going to be like with this baby! :lol:

:lol:

n510016410_2214382_93.jpg

:cheer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111