In-laws are a nightmare!

Nicnax

Reaction score
Just need a bit of a moan about hubbys family- am finding them a total nightmare at the moment!

Hubby's brother is getting married- it was supposed to be July this year, but they were talked out of it (they are a young couple with two children living in a council flat), but people (mother-in-law) telling them they should be using any money they had to buy a house. So that was cancelled, despite them having shelled out on deposits etc. Then, we were told it would be in Cyprus in October. I run a very large dance school, so term time is very awkward for me, so I already started making arrangements. It was pointed out to them that it would be very expensive for their guests, & slightly awkward for us, with a 8month old baby (mother-in-law suggested that we wouldn't bother taking our daughter with us- wtf???). Then, it became Easter holidays 2014- a very expensive time for it, but date-wise, easy for me. Then it became May 2014 (booked, without anyone telling us the date- the first we knew, was when my husband received a phone call at work from the travel agents asking for a deposit!). This is a very difficult time for me, as it is term-time, & just weeks before a huge show that I put on, involving a cast of 300, & an audience of about 2000. Plus the fact that it would cost us over £2K. Again, it was suggested that we wouldn't take Molly. There is no way, I am leaving my little one at home, & buggering off on holiday for a week!! Plus, they all assumed that my parents would have her whilst we were away- er, my parents both have full-time jobs?? I suggested that I might not be able to go, & hubby, not keen to go without me & Molly, said he would go for just 3 days, instead of 10, & stay in a different hotel. Not unreasonable, I don't think. All hell broke loose- his oarents started saying that they wouldn't go, then his sister said she wouldn't go, & the thing ends up getting cancelled again!!

Everything went quiet for a while- every time we see his parents, his mum bitches on at me, about 'this bloody wedding', which I am not comfortable with, so I now dread going round there. We get moaned at for not going round there enough (they have been to our house maybe 5 times in 4years), & every time we do, my hubby gets an email asking why I was 'quiet'! It's because I don't want to sit there & slag people off, so I have nothing to say!

So, we went round for a bbq a couple of weeks ago. We try to go inbetween Molly's naps, doing it so that she can nap in the car (it's a 50min drive). This, apparently has been moaned about, as has the fact that we won't take her round in the evenings, because his mum believes that routine for babies is ridiculous, so she seems to think that we should keep our 6month old out til all hours. Anyway, I digress, this bbq was a nightmare- we arrived, & my hubby instantly has to start cooking the bbq food. His mum started crying, saying that no one was helping her (he was doing all the cooking, there was only salad to put out), then they wouldn't eat with us, saying that they don't like bbqs, & would eat later. Odd, & very uncomfortable. Anyway, another wedding date was suggested- November, 10yrs to the day since they met. Lovely, I went away & started sorting cover as it's during term time. Then the usual mails about how quiet I was appear, & how hubbys' dad didn't get a cuddle with Molly (she was sat on the floor for about 2hrs- it's not like I was cuddling her to me the whole time!).

Yesterday, it transpires that, actually now, it's a different date in November. We weren't told, it just came up in an email. It turns out, that this is the same date that hubby has booked a surprise weekend away for us, for my birthday, with a West End show. My parents are booked to babysit, the hotel & tickets are paid for, & the hotel is booked. Hubby is really upset, as it is all non-refundable, & he will lose about £200. It is also to celebrate the fact that we have been together 10yrs. He's gutted as he has had to tell me. He has said about it to his family, in the hope that the wedding date will go back to where it was, but apparently everything has been booked!

Now, he is getting abusive messages from his sister, & his mum is refusing to speak to him!! Wtf??? I am so angry with all of them- they treat my hubby horribly, & give us NO help with our little one. They didn't even come round to meet her until she was 7 days old. I had a tough labour, she was poorly in NICU, & we were kept in hospital, & we heard nothing from them.

I don't want to go anywhere near the stupid wedding- I'm fed up with all the hassle. Whatever happens, the whole thing is ruined. I am trying really hard to be neutral, so as not to upset hubby further, but it's impossible!

Sorry for the MASSIVELY long post- no need to reply, I just wanted a rant! And breathe!!! :D

Bless you Hun, it all sounds very stressful.

I'm not the sort of person who deals with this stuff well. I tend to air my feelings clearly and if people don't like it then they can do one.

Have you and hubby had an honest chat about this whole situation, specifically after he's been getting abuse from his sister and his mum is not talking to him?

Hi hon i cant really offer any advice really as i dont know how id handle that situation! His family sound fairly OTT which cant be very nice for you.

If its any consolation they are being completely unfair to you and hubby about the wedding, i think id be tempted to tell them not to bother expecting you, youve done everything possible to be there even though they know what your job involves and £200 is a lot of money to waste. And be honest would you really enjoy the wedding? From what youve said im guessing therell be some drama anyway. And to say they will cancel if u dont come, thats pretty silly dont u think? Sounds like emotional blackmail to me :-(

I know its family but you need to consider keeping your distance from them a bit or at least telling them to stop being so unreasonable. As long as your hubby accepts their behaviour the more theyll think its ok to do it so might be worth sitting hubby down and telling him this. I think it needs to come from him otherwise youll be blamed yet again for causing family upset at least this way you would have put on a united front?

Whatever you decide to do i hope it works out for you they do sound like awful people :-( xx

Honestly, I just think they are ridiculous. I try nor to say anything that could be construed as bad-mouthing them, but I'm beyond that now. I have advised hubby to deal only with his brother- it has nothing to do with his mum or sister. The whole situation is pathetic- hubby is supposed to be best man- I would have thought you would check your wedding party were available, when organizing a wedding at this short notice. Particularly if you are on your sixth proposed date!!

It sounds as if your hubby and his brother are almost stuck in the middle of all this too! Sounds like the sister and MIL are a bit drama queen ish? I have issues with my in-laws too, but nothing as bad as this - sounds so stressful for you and the last thing you need with a young baby.

I would be tempted to tell them that once they have a date set in stone, everything booked and organised then they tell you the date. If you have alternative plans, screw them! But that is just me!!!!!

Hope you get things sorted out soon. x

Basically, we got married abroad and my in laws are a nightmare too. You have to understand that if you chose to marry abroad not everyone will be able to make it. My step mum, half bro and sis couldn't make it and my dad and other sister only made 3 days. I was upset but fully understood. Unless you are willing to pay for everyone you can't moan if they can't make it! That's the choice you got to make.

I agree with JoanneG, get the date and if you can make it, great, if not its their own fault for changing it all the time!

I do understand how you feel, we didn't speak to MIL for almost a year when my son was born and now only speak at xmas or birthdays. Just don't let them make you think you're being unreasonable, they are the ones asking too much xx

Last edited:
Families are a pain in the backside! xx

My mil is generally ok but she treats us like
Children still! Drives me fricking bonkers - I'm an independent person so I don't need it. Between that and the fact that only things she does are Amazing drives me insane! We went round to talk about our honeymoon a while ago and she spent the whole time cutting in talking about how fantastic it was when she was in Venice and Rome and that she did it better!!

I agree with everyone else. They can fix a date but if you can't make it cause you have plans so be it.

I'm just letting it go over my head now, to be honest. I will tolerate them, and be social when I have to, but I'm done making effort, to be honest. God knows what will happen with the wedding- I'm not even asking about it anymore! :)

Don't go to the wedding, go on our weekend away. My sister lives in oz and is getting married beginning of jan and we're no going because Ruby is too little. Don't feel guilty, I don't! I know how you feel though xxx

Sorry...but I wouldn't go to the wedding either - may sound harsh, but it sounds like your lovely husband went to a lot of trouble putting that weekend away together.

Families can sometimes be such hard work sometimes...we are having real trouble with DH parents at the moment and it is so draining and far too emotional.

Life is too short - and you cant please everybody all of the time...so on this occasion, enjoy the weekend away and please yourselves! xxx

I wouldn't go to the wedding for one reason, to be honest, that they've messed you about so much with the date already, you can't reasonably be expected to hold your plans and lives hostage to ever-changing dates.

If you are having an overseas, or even (as it was in our case) a cross country wedding, you have to accept that some people wont be able to make it. It's one of the things you have to weigh up yourselves in booking your wedding, how much of a deal-breaker it is to you if certain people can't attend. Ultimately, if they can't then it is a shame and unfortunate but there is no reason to take it out on the people who can't come!

Go on your weekend away and enjoy it!

I wouldn't go to the wedding. It just sounds like they've been arsing around over it so much and making such a flippin' song and dance about it that they expect everyone to drop everything for them. Most people would understand that after chopping and changing with dates that some people wouldn't be able to make it. They'd also realise that since you had this booked first, you can't/don't want to change it - but they seem so wrapped in themselves and making everyone else jump through hoops that they can't possibly see how you would have anything better to do than be at their wedding. They need to realise that not everyone's lives revolve around their wedding.

Last edited:
Th ought I'd have another rant on here (not really even looking for advice, just helps writing it down, somehow!)'

So, hubby managed to change the tickets to the day before the dreaded wedding. Hotel had to be cancelled and we will have to come back that night, but we are available fir the wedding. (No one has even expressed any kind of gratitude for this, but that is pretty much standard with his incredibly rude family). So the invite arrive on the doormat, addressed to hubby, me an d hubby son. No mention of our little one. Apparently a genuine oversight, but I am unimpressed, as they did expect us she'll out £70 for a bridesmaid for her (another story- we declined). Me pissed off- check. Me 'accidentally spilling water on said invite and ruining it- check. Immature, and irrational, but it momentarily made me feel better.

So the wedding is 3 weeks away, and hubby (best man) knows nothing about a stag night. Apparently, he is supposed to keep all of October available as well just in case. He ha a heard nothing from his brother in weeks, but interfering sister-in-law has been on, demanding he takes a day off work to attend a rehearsal. Fair enough, but why is she doing it??

So, finally today , his brother contacts him, saying he would like to do something with my hubby the night before the wedding, and get ready on the morning together. All very nice, but with usual male idiocy, hubby forgets that we are in London the night before. On remembering, he lets his brother know that he can't do the night before but that the morning would be great. Lo and behold, the abusive texts start littered with f-words, skating my hubby Tec. Within two mins he is getting then bf Rom his mum and sister too. Wtf is wrong with these people?????? I am'm livid. Somehow, hubby has managed mot to reply to any bbc of the messages (he's a better per so n than me- I would have gone straight back to tell them exactly where they can stick the whole effing thing). His mum has been on the phone having a go, but he did really well not to rise to it. He has not contacted either his brother or his sister, although he has had a shovelling text from his brother.

What is wrong with these people? Do they honestly think the world revolves around them, and that no one else is allowed to have a life, just in case they are needs to be involve in their farce of a wedding?? It is going to take a bloody miracle to get me there- the only. Reason I am even considering still going, is that I have bought Molly a new dress. Haha. These people are seriously a freaking joke. I hate the lot of them.

I wouldn't go. They sound seriously mental. If they're like that I wouldn't have any qualms in cutting ties. You can't choose your family...unfortunately - but there's no law saying you have to spend any time with them!

I wouldn't go to the wedding (by all means go on the trip if you can't get refunds!) - they need showing that the penalty for rude and abusive behaviour is people not giving in to them. You owe them nothing. x

I wouldn't go to the wedding (by all means go on the trip if you can't get refunds!) - they need showing that the penalty for rude and abusive behaviour is people not giving in to them. You owe them nothing. x

Wss. There is no way I would have anything to do with them. I'd tell hubby he could go if he really wanted to, but I wouldnt go near them ever again. Crazy assholes.

Tapatalking :)

Wow, just 're-read my last post- amazed anyone understood any of it, by the amount of typos! Thanks for the support- it's really good to know I'm not the only one that thinks this behaviour us mental!!! :)

absolute shocker! i can't believe how self controlled you are both being about it. I'd have told them to shove it a long time ago. The whole organisation of it seems like an absolute joke!

I hope you manage to get through the next few weeks ok Xx

For those kind enough to read, an offer advice on this thread, I thought I'd update quickly. The wedding was yesterday. We decided to go and try to make the best of it, in the knowledge that we wouldn't really have to speak to them again until xmas!

It was certainly eventful...not to bore you with the ins and outs of it all, the bridal party were over an hour late to the church, causing te groom (hubby's brother) to send abusive texts to the bride, at the reception, the bride drunkenly grabbed the dj' s Mic three times to slate all the guests, before locking herself UN the toilet for 2hrs, effing and blinding at anyone who tried to coax her out; she then slapped her new MIL (my hubby' s mum), who slapped her back, resulting in a bitch fight; the bridesmaid (my hubby' s sister) threw a drink in the bride's face, who, in return, gave the bridesmaid a fat lip; hubby 's aunt and uncle had to be driven home separately, after a huge row, and on calling round to his brothers to return his best man's suit this morning, my hubby finds that the bride and groom have no spoken to each other since last night. What a way to start married life. On the plus side, my hubby' s best man speech went down a treat, and I got to leave early, as little one had a stinking cold. Even better, I can dine out on the story of their big fat gypsy wedding for years to come...

Like an episode of Eastenders. Mental, the lot of them. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back