I think baby is constipated :/

Jellybeanjen

Reaction score
She hasn't pooed properly in about 3 days. And has been in a lot of discomfort. No wind and going bright red and grunting and crying and looks to be trying to push out a poop lol.
We use infacol before every feed. Could this be causing it?
How can I help her :(

Tapatalking so I can't see sigs x

Is she breast fed or formula?

If bf don't worry- new babies can go up to a week without a poo

The grunting is generally cos they're bodies and intestines haven't built up strength yet to push the poo out as easily (sorry for the description!!)

Infacol shouldn't make any difference as we used it loads with H when he was young

If you have a look on you tube and search for waterwheel massage there's a few good videos of how to gently massage the tummy to help with moving poo through the body

It's all based in rubbing the tummy in a clockwise direction

If you can't find it lets know and I'll try and dig the link out we used xxx

I found Infacol made James constipated (it may have been other things - he was BF, then combi fed then FF so it could have been that as well)

I moved to gripe water as soon as he was a month.

You could offer bub an oz of cooled, boiled water. That should help?

Also speak to HV and they will advise.

James has been about 6 days without a poo, he didn't even seem in much pain? But I know it is worrying. You'll be in raptures when she does poo!

xxxxxx

Last edited:
I started breast feeding but because of medical reasons had to stop what was upsetting but best for baby (I don't know why I felt like I had to justify myself then?!? Lol) well basically when we started bottle feeding she got really bad so we gave her gripe water, cycled her legs, rubbed her belly, gave her naked time then - in the end it was approx 7 days before she do one and I was so happy! :) after that it was every 2-3 days. MW said this is fine for newborns (actually didn't check your ticket to see how old your lo is and on phone)

Just thought OH also got done vasseline and cotton buds and rubbed around bum (only the bit you can see when you open baby's legs) he didn't like doing it but as I remember it was about 20mins after that she exploded! We didn't to the cotton bud thing again as didn't need to :) x

Oh and also used cooled down boiled water (only a little bit as didn't want to fill her belly)

Apparently is very natural so don't worry but do let your MW check if you are worried as mine felt her belly to make sure none was trapped. Xx

Last edited:
Rian has been having trouble hv told us to give him an oz of cooled boiled water before his bottle x

It is quite normal for BF babies to go a few days without going, but in my experience Infacol can cause problems. A didn't get constipated but only as I stopped it before she had a chance. We were using it before every feed for a while and then I changed her bum and her poo was thick, and so I stopped it for a few days and she went back to normal. Obviously then we had wind problems again so we started using gripe water when necessary and Infacol if she was particularly struggling that day.xx

Thanks for advice girls. We ate gonna try stopping the infacol to see if it helps at all but we did take her nappy off, let her have a wriggle about and then we wiped around her bum hole (sorry to put it so bluntly lol) to stimulate it as midwife said that makes them poo. Then she started straining and it was like really thick plasticine type poo and then we carried on doing the wiping and then started looking softer and softer and then it was liquid and she was farting and and everything so it must have all been blocked up there. We put her in a nappy and let her kick her legs about and done the bicycle pushes and we heard more farting lol and next nappy change shed done a normal poo on her own and she hasnt made any straining noises since...just blow offs lol. She looks so much more comfy! She is on formula, I was mixed feeding and found it so stressful and upsetting when she wasn't latching and expressing was a pain and wasn't producing much so I gave up. Xxx

Tapatalking so I can't see sigs x

Try cooled boiled water, this usually does the trick xx

Glad she has been hun!

I remember with James when he'd have a few days of no poo's he would then give me the worlds biggest poo and I'd be over the moon :lol:

xxxxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DreamRapeVic
Back