I know they mean well...

I suppose he thought he was being thoughtful, but heaven forbid anything happened, how awful would you have felt with him asking that!!

Meant to post this earlier re second hand items though. Most of our big stuff has either been bought for us or gifted as second-hand from family members which has been an absolute godsend as we have no money and would've been buggered without those offers!

Conversely, my granny is going NUTS. She doesn't have much money now she's on a pension, but she's constantly buying us bits and bobs. There are things she's bought I didn't even think of, like muslin squares, a top and tail bowl, but she's also been buying tops, cardies (I flippin' HATE cardies), she wanted to go to the Asda and Morrisons baby events and has bought us cat nets!!!!

I really do appreciate the thought behind it but I have had to tell her to stop, me and OH want to buy our own baby clothes and while she keeps buying things 400 miles away, we don't know what we need and what we don't!!

Sometimes hearts of gold are wonderful and other times they can get so pushy. I love that everyone's been so generous and I'm so grateful that we've a big family and they can all chip bits in to lend us a hand, sometimes I just wish there was a filter on it and they knew when to stop!!

Mackmummy I would just say, absolutely my life is going to change in a way I've never knew before and it will be for the better. These experts on parenting should know that. I can honestly say my world turned upside down when my son was born but in a fantastic way iykwim xx

Where are these nearly new sales and how do you find out about them? Everything I'm Getting bar the pram is from my auntie, all used by my 2 year old cousin but mamas and papas, etc, and in great condition. The Moses basket and crib were brought by my gran who's passed away so it means a lot that I can use it for what would have been her first great granddaughter. money is very tight and I don't want to count on baby's dad for anything so having to be clever with my cash, but I would like to buy her clothes all new- just been really looking forward to shopping for cute baby girl outfits, although i know il be given a lot of clothes do holding off until she's actually here. I don't really think it matters what you do - personal choice, if I had the money I'd definitely spend it xx

Check out the NCT website - they hold nearly new sales nationwide and all the stuff is generally either new or like new. You can get anything from clothes, toys, books, prams, Moses baskets - everything ! And if you're feeling brave, you can haggle! But it's all very reasonably priced, and the ppl very friendly.

I would just like to say not to get your hopes pinned on your perfect birth tho Hun, because I planned a completely natural birth and ended up with a spinal and emergency c section due to my baby's heart rate going really high. I was quite open minded about different things happening all along, so I'm fine with the end result, but I know of a lot of women who were so set on natural births but ended up with emergency c sections and they don't even feel like they gave birth to their baby, and cannot get over the experience. Xxx

I would just like to say not to get your hopes pinned on your perfect birth tho Hun, because I planned a completely natural birth and ended up with a spinal and emergency c section due to my baby's heart rate going really high. I was quite open minded about different things happening all along, so I'm fine with the end result, but I know of a lot of women who were so set on natural births but ended up with emergency c sections and they don't even feel like they gave birth to their baby, and cannot get over the experience. Xxx

If its what the baby needs I'm up for anything,I'm not closed off to it, I just know I cant take pain relief, I cant push if I'm asleep!

If its what the baby needs I'm up for anything,I'm not closed off to it, I just know I cant take pain relief, I cant push if I'm asleep!

LOL Not true! I slept through one of my labours! BEST labour EVER! :lol:

No seriously, I really did fall asleep. I dreamed I was in labour and pushing and after about three pushes was feeling loads of pressure. Woke up with a massive contraction, pushing and thought "Oh crap, I obviously wasn't dreaming after all!"... Woke my Hubby up and the midwife and baby was born about 10 minutes later weighing 9lbs 7oz! Wouldn't mind doing that one again!

Seriously though, birth is wonderful, even when it's not if that makes sense. You know the end result is healthy baby, healthy mum and so long as you know that (as you obviously do) then you'll be fine no matter what happens.

With the pain relief thing - I didn't really want pain relief other than gas & air because of it making me feel sick ( I HATE that feeling!), and so kept putting it off throughout labour, and only had g&a when I was about an hour away from pushing. However, that made me sick too so I only had 2 puffs and was done. No pain relief. I just focused and got through each contraction, one at a time. However, my labour was just under 6 hours from start to finish so women that go for days and days I can totally understand they may need further pain relief just to get through it, and this time round am open to everything again as I don't want to end up with regrets after the birth.

Re the second hand thing - no thanks! Again, I get why people do it/prefer it, but it's not for me. With dd I wanted everything new, she was our first. And now I'm having no.2 I don't feel ANY different! My inlaws would happily buy a wardrobe full of stuff from boot sales but I can't face it, and have told them numerous times not to waste their money. It's personal choice, as much as it is the other way around.

Lastly, advice. As mentioned, this is baby no.2 for me and I do NOT give hot advice! With fellow mums I will chat about baby stuff, but with my non-mummy friends no way. One of the girls I work with is pregnant, and until she found out I was pregnant lady week we didn't really talk baby stuff and I refuse to be one of those mums who only ever talks baby! So no to those that said "wait til you're a mum, you'll change" - not necessarily.

With the pain relief thing - I didn't really want pain relief other than gas & air because of it making me feel sick ( I HATE that feeling!), and so kept putting it off throughout labour, and only had g&a when I was about an hour away from pushing. However, that made me sick too so I only had 2 puffs and was done. No pain relief. I just focused and got through each contraction, one at a time. However, my labour was just under 6 hours from start to finish so women that go for days and days I can totally understand they may need further pain relief just to get through it, and this time round am open to everything again as I don't want to end up with regrets after the birth.

Re the second hand thing - no thanks! Again, I get why people do it/prefer it, but it's not for me. With dd I wanted everything new, she was our first. And now I'm having no.2 I don't feel ANY different! My inlaws would happily buy a wardrobe full of stuff from boot sales but I can't face it, and have told them numerous times not to waste their money. It's personal choice, as much as it is the other way around.

Lastly, advice. As mentioned, this is baby no.2 for me and I do NOT give hot advice! With fellow mums I will chat about baby stuff, but with my non-mummy friends no way. One of the girls I work with is pregnant, and until she found out I was pregnant lady week we didn't really talk baby stuff and I refuse to be one of those mums who only ever talks baby! So no to those that said "wait til you're a mum, you'll change" - not necessarily.

Agree with everything! And re the gas and air i Have a feeling I will puke on it too. I can't take paracetamol without falling asleep then waking with a hangover and feeling sick. I've never taken painkillers because of it. Even with impacted wisdom teeth I tried painkiller and then just stopped because it wasn't worth it. Same when I had a miscarriage years ago, was the most pain I had ever experienced but i didn't want to take painkillers because I wanted to know if it was getting any better, I've always be baffled by painkillers in that way, it doesn't stop the pain it just hides it for you! How do you know if you're well again?

Just realised my many typos....baby brain!

I will admit though I love baby talk, and there only babies once so why not, im careful what I say to expecting mums though but apart from that I loves it :D x

Apparently I should give up weight training because of ligaments etc. I told my midwife I'm a builder and the majority of my day is spent lifting heavy stuff , I asked her does this mean I should give up work ;)
God I'm not a total idiot. I know what is and isn't safe to do whilst pregnant.

Last edited:
Apparently I should give up weight training because of ligaments etc. I told my midwife I'm a builder and the majority of my day is spent lifting heavy stuff , I asked her does this mean I should give up work ;)
God I'm not a total idiot. I know what is and isn't safe to do whilst pregnant.

Im a plumber so asked about heavy lifting and the dr just told me 'if its too heavy you wont be able to lift it' but he did want to sign me off work quicker than maternity leave, sod that though who can afford! x

Exactly! As long as I'm not too huge that I am incapable of working, I'm going to work for as long as I can :)

They normally say if your body is used to it pre pregnancy then its fine as in dont start training for a marathon once you get preggars :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back