Maternity allowance anyone?

CarlyD

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure I'm entitled to maternity allowance as I'm not entitled to SMP, and from what I've read you get it for 39 weeks. I really need to tell my employer when I plan on taking maternity leave as I'm going to be taking it early - about 30 weeks, but can't do my application for maternity allowance until I'm 25 weeks? I don't want to leave it too late to tell my employer but I also don't want to commit until I know for sure about my maternity allowance!! Grr!

Anyone got any experience with it? How long it takes, if you're definitely being paid for 39 weeks etc? Xxx

Im on maternity allowance as I left my job at 22 weeks and didnt qualify for SMP. You need to have been working for 26 weeks in the 66 weeks before baby is due :)

It is paid for 39 weeks, mine automatically started at 29 weeks as I was nemployed at the time!

You can claim once you are 26 weeks, any earlier, even a few days, and they throw it back (they did this with me) and mine is paid fornightly.

Hope that helps x

I think I'll just be gettin MA as I started my new job roughly the week I got caught pregnant so won't qualify for SMP. Do we have to apply for MA or do we automatically get it?
xx

Do we have to apply for MA or do we automatically get it?
xx

You have to definately apply for it hun...you can download a form off the direct.gov website x

That definitely helps thank you! Did you get paid your first installment up front as soon as you turned 29 weeks or was it 2 weeks after that? X

I had it two weeks after I was 29 weeks. But if you are in employment I think you can have it paid from when you leave :) its only because I was unemployed that they automatically started it from 29 weeks :) xx

I'm going to try and claim it but I'm not sure if I will get it as I may be 3 weeks short in the qualifying period ( I had only worked 23 weeks out of the 26 week period but I am hoping they take my 12 week notice period into consideration in which case I should be ok - annoying seeing as I got made redundant after working at the same place for 20 years)

mummy2b73 :( Poor you. Hopefully they take the 12weeks notice into consideration also.
Hope you get it all sorted. x

You have to have worked 26 weeks in the 66 weeks weeks leading upto the week your baby is due? but they dont have to have been consecutive weeks xx

Thanks zoeo I hope it's sorted too otherwise goodness knows what I am going to do..... It's typical the way it's worked out I've worked in a private nursery 20 years and would have got free childcare too ! I've no chance of getting another job in the meantime as I've not really long til lo arrives plus not all employers will take on someone knowing they are pregnant even though they are supposed to consider you for the job.... Even the advisor at jobcentre said this

Im going to start claiming this as well, does anyone know how long it takes to process cos I wont be going on maternity till 1st March which is when im due so when would I need to apply??

mummytobe73 when did you leave your nursery job?? x

Jaxx01 I got made redundant on 6th May.
Maybe_mummy think you can apply at 26 weeks think it only takes a couple of weeks from then......I have all the forms but not really looked at it in too much detail as I need my mat B form from midwife first will probably sort it out end of next week when I have that.....Really hoping I get it otherwise I really don't know what we are going to do.

Last edited:
=( have you not been working for 26weeks in the 66weeks before the birth? xx

Zoeo believe it or not 23 weeks !!!!...... plus i got 12 weeks notice pay from the insolvency service which I paid tax etc on but its if they will take this into consideration that would take me into July but the lady at the citizens advice thought not but I can't see why as if I was given my notice as I should have been I would have worked it it wasn't my fault I was only told at 5.30pm on the friday when my shift finished at 6pm !!! I had no idea it was going to happen and I was the manager !!!!

Oh no thats bad isn't it. When is baby due??
Can't believe that they only told you half an hour before hand. :(
I would have thought your 12weeks would be taken into consideration as you would have worked it if you would have known. :s xx

Thanks I really hope it does get taken into consideration. Baby due 6th march

So therefore your qualifying week was 30Nov 2010. I really hope they take your 12 weeks into consideration otherwise you will have nothing won't you?
xx

Nope won't get anything anyway fingers crossed see what happens

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back