I hate the dentist...

Verity2011

Reaction score
Sorry this is just a bit of a moan. In may I finally went to a dentist after a hiatus because I'm literally phobic of them. I explained all this to my new dentist and said I tried to keep my teeth and gums healthy (brush regularly, floss, mouthwash etc.) but really hated the dentist and the entire experience upsets me. Well my teeth aren't perfect but they're not as bad as I thought but my gums aren't great so I get sent to the hygienist in September.

Well she is lovely but she also costs me £50 to see, and it turns out I have a condition from pregnancy which causes tumours on my gums but she thinks we can get them down without surgery etc. all very encouraging.

So I go back today for a check up with the dentist ( the first time I've seen him since May so before I knew about the pregnancy). And there is nothing wrong with my teeth but tells me my gums are even worse than before I started going back to the dentist. He then accused me of not brushing my teeth and not using the electric toothbrush I have. This really upset me as I hate my teeth and gums anyway and am really paranoid about them. He then refuses to do a scale and polish for my gums but tells me I need to see the hygienist urgently (another £50 for the practice). He refused to do anything which seems to contradict what he's saying - surely if it's urgent and necessary he should do it on the NHS not force me to go to their private hygienist?

Anyway I told him this is the opposite to what the hygienist had said and I know for a fact my gums are improving and I brush my teeth twice daily, floss etc. and said I had been diagnosed with pyogenic granuloma (pregnancy tumours) and he paused said mmmmm maybe or it could be to do with your pregnancy! SO clearly he doesn't even know what I said to him. He then just tells me to come back for a check up in 6 months!

I have difficulty trusting someone who on one hand says work is urgent and then on the other hand refuses to do anything about it. Arrrrghhhhh I hate this dentist! I hate being made to feel bad about something out of my control - really want to change dentist practice now as I can't afford £50 every time I need my gums seen to to prevent these tumours!

Sorry for another really long moan!

Last edited:
Why are you having to pay?
I was told that dental treatment was free for pregnant women and for the 1st year of babies life? Not that I will go anyway as I had a really bad experience with a dentist when I was little and it has scarred me for life.

I'm phobic of the dentist too. I'm not registered and haven't been in years. One of my canines has literally cracked in half down the middle and I'm trying to build up the courage to get it pulled under local. I certainly won't be paying for it though.

Awwww I so understand your phobias ladies - I'm the same and it really is dreadful. I think this whole experience has put me back to square one and I now don't want to go back at all!

Flaxen - you're right about not having to pay on the NHS, unfortunately hygienists are considered cosmetic so not covered under the nhs. My dentist could do the work because it's clinical but refuses because he wants more money for their practice so bumps me to their hygienist.

Big hugs for both you ladies :hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back